Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2002 7:49:17 PM EDT
ok, been shooting rifles, shotguns, autos and revolvers all my life...but i am now goin' to purchase my first revolver (yes, 8 hanguns, no revolvers) anyhow i have a couple questions

1.) does anyone have any pictures showing the difference between a "round butt" and a "square butt" S&W? ive seen/shot some that are extremely round and i like that.

2.) is there a size (frame) difference between a M19 and a 586? i think the 586 is beefier? better able to withstand magnum rounds?

3.) how many rounds are too many for a revolver (timing and whatnot) im looking at a 586 with about 900 38spec and 100 357 rounds.

4.) this is an odd question BUT...has anyone heard of a finish called "malanite", "malinite", or "melanite". ( i havent but maybe someone has? )

thanks
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you're buying an older model S&W, I'm not totally sure they still make the square butt models. I **think** they're all round butts now.

Yes, the model 19 & 586 are two different frame sizes. The "J" frames are the little 5 shot snubnose models, the "K" frames are the model 19, 64, 65, 66, etc. "L" frames have the full-lugged barrel such as a 586, 681, etc. "N" frames are the models 29 (44mag), 25, 629, etc.

Go get a copy of Gun List newspaper at a bookstore such as Barnes & Noble & you'll find a bunch of S&Ws listed at various prices. I buy almost all of my S&Ws used in order to save money.

As for timing & cylinder play/shake, it depends on the loads you use rather than specific calibers. 4000-5000 rds w/o any major problems aren't unheard of unless one is shooting maximum/hunting loads almost all of the time.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:42:16 AM EDT
[#2]
SkaerE, I'm a reformed wheelgunner myself.

The S&W 586 is a very good gun.  It has good balance and should handle a substantial ammount of magnum loads.  Unless you are getting a great deal on the 586, or are a big fan of S&W, might I suggest you check out the Ruger GP100.  I'm not a big fan of Ruger semi-autos, but IMHO they make the best revolver out there.  When you look in a reloading manual you will see two different catagories for .357 magnum; loads for the Thompson contender and Ruger, and loads for everything else.  Ruger revolvers will take an inordinant ammount of abuse.  Mine had over 40k rounds through it when I retired it from service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top