Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2002 1:45:05 PM EDT
the gun shop called today said my bushy was in.  i went right down to get it.  oh shes perty... i had a woody!  :)  i filled out the form and shit they went to call in the info and the damn fed thing was down due to problems.  :(  they wouldnt let me take it home.  he called me a couple hours later and said he finally got it through and i could come take it.  woo hooo. i gave it a quick cleaning and took it out to fire it.  heres when i get depressed.  first couple rounds were fine then it jammed.  i would clear it and shoot a couple more then it would do it again.  some times the bolt would skip right over the bullet and not load one or it would catch it partially and not feed at all.  after the last round it also does not lock open.  shouldnt it?  i read the trouble shooting in the little manual i got and it says a bunch of stuff but seems like it could be a bad magazine or its dirty.  some of you will probably yell but all my store had today was Wolf ammo 55 GR.  <--- i know a lot of you guys say its no good but would it really cause this to happen?  id appreciate any help...  im sure this has been discussed b4 and i will start searching but please suggest anything...  thanks

durk
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Durk, sounds like you've got a bad mag. Go get yourself a good G.I. mag (and some decent ammo ) and give it another try.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#2]

would it really case this to happen?

Wolf ammo in .223 can cause all sorts of problems for very real reasons that have been beaten to death here. Avoid it. Like the plague.

It sounds like the bolt is moving forward faster than the magazine follower is pushing up the next round (i.e., one or the other or perhaps both is part of the problem). The bolt may be moving forward to fast because of the buffer spring and a break in period may take care of that. If the ammo's loaded too hot, you might have similar problems but I've never seen it. And certainly Wolf is not loaded hot. Or your magazine springs may be shot. Easy enough to replace those. Even easier to replace the entire magazine.

As far as the bolt not locking open, that sounds like a magazine problem. But I've never had any problems with the mag that comes with Bushy rifles. I don't know what you were using but I have had some problems in general with some after market brands -- ProMag for one. All Pro-Mag magazines are better used as targets.

If it really causes problems, I'd be willing to take the whole rifle off your hands.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#3]
just the stock bushy mag.  its a greyish color with a green plastic "bullet pusher upper" <--- sorry... lack of better(proper) word.  :)
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Definately sounds like the mag, I hearf the ones that come with the bushie are junk. Go to the equipmetn exchange area or email me and I will set you up. <shameless plug>
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
just the stock bushy mag.  its a greyish color with a green plastic "bullet pusher upper" <--- sorry... lack of better(proper) word.  :)

bullet pusher upper = follower
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Congrats on the rifle, I thought your topic was refering to an STD....

Link Posted: 4/4/2002 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks guys.  i will definatly get some more mags at the next gun show.  im gonna borrow one of my step dad's 20's or 30's next time i see him.  hopefully that is the problem.  i sure hope so.  i spent too much money on this thing to not trust it to feed the ammo when i need it.

it should be called the "bullet pusher upper".  that sounds better.  lol.  thanks for the correct word jetlag.  :)
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Congrats on the rifle, I thought your topic was refering to an STD....

hehe
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I would have said the mag at first too but, if this is a brand new rifle with the NEW STYLE post-ban mag, I doubt that's the problem.  I have these and they work pretty damn well.  Nothing like the old style "frankenmags" they used to have.

Make sure the bolt carrier (and all moving parts for that matter) is PLENTY lubed.  I have had "short-stroking" problems (the bolt not coming back far enough to catch the rear of the next round and strip it from the mag, what you described) with brand new rifles before that seemed to be cleared up with a good lube job.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#10]
The mag that Bushmaster sends in a hunk of crap.  I took mine to the range for the first time and fired it with the provided mag.  Jammed twice.  I loaded up a GI 30rnd'er and shot the one that gave me the problems.  Couple thousand rounds later, still no problems.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Wolf ammo in .223 can cause all sorts of problems for very real reasons that have been beaten to death here. Avoid it. Like the plague.

I highly doubt Wolf is causing these problems.

I always use their .223 55 grain FMJs for my mornings at the range (5 bucks a box. Hooray for the poor college student).

Do NOT use Wolf is you are playing with full auto weapons. The laquer won't take the heat, but for semi-auto on a nice spring day, you won't have any problems except add 10 minutes to your cleaning time.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Definitely the mag.  The good news is that eventually the spring will soften up a bit and will function properly.  The bad new is you'll probably have 10 USGI mags and the 10 rounder will be at the bottom of a drawer by then.

Buy USGI mags.  Check in the Magazine Forum for a rundown of good/bad mags.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#13]
i'll 2nd..or 3d the mag.  my bushy 10 rounder (newer style)sucks.  it won't feed if i use the charging handle and if it does the bolt goes right over and doesn't chamber a round.  usgi mags work great, buy em instead.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#14]
"I always use their .223 55 grain FMJs for my mornings at the range (5 bucks a box. Hooray for the poor college student"
I usually buy winchester white box for less than $5. more rounds per box with Wolf?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#15]
durk,
Same thing happen to me when I got my first Bushy. It wasn't the magazine and I was using excellent ammo. Like FMjunkie said, I lubed the bolt carrier very well, tired it again and it fired fine.
Although you should certainly pickup some USGI and Thermold magazine pronto.

Link Posted: 4/6/2002 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I highly doubt Wolf is causing these problems.

I always use their .223 55 grain FMJs for my mornings at the range (5 bucks a box. Hooray for the poor college student).

Do NOT use Wolf is you are playing with full auto weapons. The laquer won't take the heat, but for semi-auto on a nice spring day, you won't have any problems except add 10 minutes to your cleaning time.

Without turning this into a Wolf-bashing posting (or is it already too late for that?), I had intended to inform Durk that Wolf ammo isn't optimum and makes it hard to judge whether a problem is firearm, magazine or ammo related when you're using ammo with so many potential problems. I recognize that I was unclear on that point. My bad.

BTW, I think most here would tell you that $5 a box for Wolf is extremely high. I typically see it in the $3 ballpark. You can even get Winchester or PMC for less than $5.00/box. Unless, of course, the boxes you buy have more than 20 rounds. FWIW, I prefer to save up a little, buy by the case and have better ammo at lower per round costs.

I think the potential reason for durk's problems and solutions for those problems have been identified by most people here as likely not being ammo related.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top