Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2012 7:12:54 AM EDT
As much as I would like to hang with Skypup, I just can't get there.

I have a PVS-14 and an Ital-A and had been using a scope with the NV looking thru it.

My eyes and the adjustments for the scope and helmet are taking the fun out of it.

What do you use to engage the beasties after dark? Or, what do you suggest?

Thanks

Tried this in the hog hunting forum and got no response.

Maybe a t1 in front of the pvs-14, or just use the laser only ?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#1]
How are you hunting them?  On foot, blind, both?  What range?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Dollar for Dollar your pvs-14 helmet mounted and a class 1 IR laser is very hard to beat. You can snap on the 3x milspec lens for shots past 100 yards if needed.NV scopes are nice so is thermal it all depends on $$$$$ and task on hand
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:39:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Lasermax Uni Ir and a Streamlight ir light.  I haven't shot an animal at night but practice on a 10x14 horizontal steel plate. With illumination all bloom disappears and shots at 100 yards are very easy.  With something to hold against 200 yard  hits are almost every time.  But then my steel doesn't have legs.

I'm sure someone with a more sophisticated setup will be around shortly.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Both.

75 - 300 typically
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#5]
14 with 3x mag and a peq2A. Been killing way more than when I had the 14 behind my Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Both.
75 - 300 typically

If its that far make sure to get some kind of IR illuminator. They really really help with coyotes, lights up their eyes from really really far off, and helps a ton when you have smart coyotes that hide in moonlight shadows. Also helps alot just for those very dark nights.

TNVC torch pro is pretty sweet and will get you that far and farther.

Also the Inforce WML and surefire vampire line are nice and also have white light but only will get you to 150ish in IR mode.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#7]
what about once they go on the run.  Which one allows quicker target changes.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Definitely helmet mount with your IR laser if on foot.  It is really not safe to hunt otherwise.  

I also have a TM-14 on my PVS14 with a twistmount on the rifle to move it behind a T1 in case I want it on the gun - but it doesn't get a fraction of the use of the helmet + IR option.  It is useful for rough zeroing (without live fire) the IR laser to the T1 though.  If you got in a stationary position like a blind, it would work as well.  Transitioning to the twistmount does not take long with a little practice.

If the laser is zeroed right, it should be plenty good for what you are doing.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
what about once they go on the run.  Which one allows quicker target changes.

Get a nice IR with illuminator. You can adjust the illuminator as you would a maglite. Wide flood, all the way down to a fine dot like the aiming laser.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Both.

75 - 300 typically

If its that far make sure to get some kind of IR illuminator. They really really help with coyotes, lights up their eyes from really really far off, and helps a ton when you have smart coyotes that hide in moonlight shadows. Also helps alot just for those very dark nights.

TNVC torch pro is pretty sweet and will get you that far and farther.

Also the Inforce WML and surefire vampire line are nice and also have white light but only will get you to 150ish in IR mode.

Just saw this...

+ 1 with RA.  The Torch Pro goes all the way  to 850 yards on my range here at WRR.  I can ID game at around 400 with the 3 X mag on the PVS-14 using the Torch Pro.

The Ir laser and PVS on the helmet is the most user friendly way to engage hogs at night.  Its the safest way on foot, since you don't have to sweep the weapon to spot.  Putting the PVS -14 behind any optic greatly cuts the light getting to your eye, and limits range.  It is the least viable option, if you can have either a D-740 / 760 or Ir laser on the gun,.  The difference in those two is that Ir lasers are difficult to use for precise shot placement once you get past 200 using an unmagnified PVS-14.  The D-740 / 760 are capable for precise shots from 50- 350 yards with good IR illuminators.

The Torch Pro also has a beam that cones in and out to allow for closer or farther shots, and long range spotting.  IME, the Inforce light was only good to about 100.

As you probably know, I use D-740's but I also have  PVS-14's and thermal, so if I'm hunting with others, i like the helmet setup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top