Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 9:22:52 AM EDT
(note: reposted from curio and relic forum - not receiving an answer over there)

i read something on this site about the hungarian yellow tipped rounds having issues outside of a nagant rifle. i'm posting this because i can't find the original thread.

i bought two m44's this weekend at the puyallup gunshow (which kicked ass), and am planning on owning a dragunov (or clone) in the near future. the problem is that i'm looking at getting some surplus munitions and would like them to be able to be used in all three rifles. this would only happen in emergency situations, as i'd prefer to put non-corrosive ammo down the dragunov if i could help it - but i'd still like to have the option.

has anybody heard of problems loading the yellow tips into dragunovs? should i just spring for the czech silver tips instead?

enlighten me, gunslingers.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know, i've got a couple of nagant's myself, tell you what, try over at www.gunboards.com on the Mosin-nagant forum I'll bet someone over there knows...
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The yellow tip has a 172 grain bullet.  That may be too heavy for an SVD.  The silvertip Czech stuff is 147gr and probably a better weight for it.  There may be a potential for gas system damage with heavier bullets in a semi.  

Personally I wouldn't shoot it out of a Dragunov by choice.  My Romak 3 (which is not a Drag, but just a big AK) likes the Czech silvertip fine, and I use that through my Mosin-Nagants and my SVT.  It was easier for me to just standardize on that.  It's still easy to find, and only costs a couple bucks more a can.

Ross

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
ok, that's the second time i've heard that the silver tips are enjoyed by the romaks. that settles it, i've got to go to ammunitionstore.com and get myself a couple of cases. couple pennies a round difference? - so what. sounds like it's worth it.

thanks a lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top