Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2002 7:39:30 PM EDT
what is the proper way to use the sights on my new bushmaster AR-15?  it is different than any other rifle i have ever shot.
if someone could give me a draw me a picture or something to help me get it figured out.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#1]
You want the front post to be centered in the rear sight, and you can decide if you want to set the sights with the post sitting directly below the target or have it centered in the target. I have seen it done both ways and I don't think it really matters IMO.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#2]
here is a good start..

www.ar15.com/articles/article.html?Article=52

basicly, looking thru the rear sight place the tip of the front sight on the target and keep the front post centered in the rear sight.

wow, kinda hard to explain after doing this for way over 20 years.. it's all automagic now!
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#3]
awwwwww this is gonna be easy..,

first, pick up that Colt AR-15 (or whatever ?) snuggle it up to yer cheek & look thru that lyttle peep hole in the rear sight, got it ? good..,  now, locate that post thyngy in the middle of that "Y" lookin thyngy near the front of the barrel, the side facing you looks lyke a ski ramp, thats called the front sight ramp, now that you see that post keep yer eye on it & kinda fergit the peep hole, PRESUMING...? of course the rifle is unloaded RIGHT...?..., swing around & stop wyth the post resting on...., ahhhh, lets say, a rock, take yer tyme here & centre the post in the centre of mass of the objective, then & only then do you momentarily focus on the peep.., keeping both eyes open re-focus on the front post, making certain you are on centre of mass..., squeeze trigger till the rifle fires..., go ahead & dry fire a few tymes to get the feel, you ain't gonna hurt any decent AR-15 TYPE by dry firing, BUT MAKE DAMN CERTAIN THAT RIFLE IS UNLOADED, PUSH OUT REAR PIN & VISUALLY CHECK BORE BY OBSERVING LIGHT THRU BORE !!!

after all guys it's his 5th post........

Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been shooting my AR for a little while now and is the distance between your eye and the rear sight matter?  I like about 4-5" from the rear sight.  Too much, too little?

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#5]
you want your cheek welded to the same part of the stock all the time and idealy your nose tip should be at the charging handle. (at least thats how i shoot and it works great)
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Something that we should stress is that the rear peep is really of secondary importance to the post.  In picking up the front sight, the eye naturally centers it in the rear.  After firing off a few rounds and getting properly sighted in you'll understand.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 5:27:24 AM EDT
[#7]
10-4 FishKepr, 10-4 !!

EX11B, also very good advice !!

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 5:50:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
what is the proper way to use the sights on my new bushmaster AR-15?  it is different than any other rifle i have ever shot.
if someone could give me a draw me a picture or something to help me get it figured out.

It has a rear 'peep' (aperture) instead of a notch. All you do it look through the peep, find the front post, and put the front post on the target. After a few shots you'll see. Its a very natural sighting system.

Forgot to add: The front sight has left and right 'ears' and a center post. You ignore the ears and just use the center post.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:39:35 AM EDT
[#9]
One other tip I found as a recent AR newbie.

I was very used to my M1-A front sights, which are .062 inches wide, and great when shooting long distances, but I found the standard front sight post that comes with AR-15's is very fat, and when shooting beyond 50 yards, you can really improve your accuracy by replacing the standard A-2 front sight with a Bushmaster Competition (or any other company) front sight.
They screw right in if you get a pen and push down a little button on the front sight that holds the front sight in place.  They're on pg 16 of the 2002 catalog and only cost about $12 bucks plus shipping.  I put the .052 inch wide sight on mine, and have a clear view of small targets at 100 yards.  The standard front sight post looks like a telephone pole in the way of your target when aiming 100 yards plus.
You'll see this fat sight situation if you just pick out something at 100 yards plus and take aim at it.  A thin sight helps you see much more target.
Another cheap alternative I've read here that some people use, is to just file your A2 front sight thinner, as replacements ones are only $5-$7 bucks.  

BTW- just shipped my AR to Bushmaster for repairs recently, alot of them need the front sight to be re-indexed, as when you zero it in, the rear sight has to be very far to the left or right.  Bushmaster will fix this for you, and pay shipping.

Have fun, and don't worry about new stuff for the gun at first, just get comfortable with it, then think about buying a new front sight and some 30 round GI mags for it.  Make sure they're GI mags, not the "USA" brand magazines, as those don't work.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks guys!

i have a A-3 model so i can use the sights and my scope.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
thanks guys!

I would suggest getting to know the sights real well in case you ever need them.  Scopes break

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
thanks guys!

I would suggest getting to know the sights real well in case you ever need them.  Scopes break

Keving67

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top