Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2008 3:16:12 PM EDT
Hello guys,

I'm a long time lurker, but decided to post because of this problem.

While going though some of my fathers guns I found a LOADED black powder pistol!  it has probably been loaded for 3 years is my quess (no caps on the nipple).  I was able to take the cylinder out, it has 6 chambers.  I don't have the pistol in front of me (at work) but I beleive it is a .32.  What is the best way to un load it?  I'm in the process of finding a smaller nipple wrench so I can take the nipples off to possibly pour out the powder.  Should I soak it in water to ruin the powder first?  

Thanks in advance,
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 4:17:58 PM EDT
Once you get the nipples out, dump out as much powder out as possible then take a small brass rod (1/8" or so) that fits thru the nipple holes and tap the balls out with a hammer.

Dispose of the powder by spreading it on the lawn.

Or put some primers on the nipples and shoot it until empty.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 9:23:27 PM EDT
Easy way put  primers on it and shoot it.

Take nipples out and push out the ball or use a ball puller. Since it is a pistol you should be able to use a 3 inch screw to pull it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 10:08:30 PM EDT
Do not put water in the cylinders. I didn't realize I had drops of water in my flash holes from cleaning my pistol and while I seated the balls, a black grease made of wet Triple 7 oozed out the flash holes. I let it dry for a couple of days and then used a wire to open the holes and shot them clear. All of them fired, the balls cleared the muzzle, but some of the shots sounded weird adn I had a funky looking white fouling everywhere instead of black fouling. If you soak the powder, you'll end up with a hard, but brittle mass of fused blackpowder that will not budge without soaking in hot water for a long time, I imagine..And then you'll still have to remove the balls.

Cap it and shoot it. If it misfires, wait a minute or longer before cocking it and then take the nipples off and pick out what powder you can and then push the ball out with a brass rod..
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 4:57:30 PM EDT
First, I would suggest buying a CO2 discharger; I bought one and it's the best money I ever spent.  You can use the wal-mart replacement cartridges for a lot cheaper than the ones the discharger companies try to sell you.

Failing that, get the correct sized nipple wrench and push the ball out with a brass rod.

You could always shoot 'em out too!
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 9:01:23 PM EDT
IM me if you want to sell it.
Top Top