Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2008 6:36:22 PM EDT
I'm going to start reloading 223 and I'm trying to find some cheap multi-use bullets and I was wondering whether the hornady 55 fmj fragment like the m193 or is the bullet construction different?
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Any 55 grain FMJ is a good one to start with. A good consistent bullet makes the learning curve easier.

Fragmentation?
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm wondering the same thing myself.  I can't find any info on the 'net, so it appears noone's ever fired one of these into gelatin at 2700 fps before.  I might have to do it myself, and I've got a load (23.2 gr H335 16" bbl) that goes about that fast.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:06:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been wondering the same thing myself?

If you don't want to wait for someone to do the gel testing there's a guy in the EE right now selling federal m193 bullets at a great price. I'd jump on those if you're worried about fragmentation.

here's the link

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=114&t=589224
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure what your "multi-use" entails, but the Hornady 55-gr SP (w/cannelure) are a good, accurate, bulk soft point that works much better on varmints than the FMJ.  Might be too fragile for 2-legged varmints though.  You could see if both the FMJ and SP shoot to the same POI though.

Fragmentation in the FMJ is dependent on velocity, so you want as much as you can safely get.
Now if we can get TheInvisibleWhip to crank his load up to 2900 fps (25.5 grains H-335 or so) and shoot into gelatin we can really have a comparison!
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 2:07:29 AM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
I've been wondering the same thing myself?

If you don't want to wait for someone to do the gel testing there's a guy in the EE right now selling federal m193 bullets at a great price. I'd jump on those if you're worried about fragmentation.

here's the link

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=114&t=589224

Ah, but what of the ubiquitous and ever-popular Hornady 55gr FMJs?  Why has noone yet performed this test?

height=8
Quoted:
I'm not sure what your "multi-use" entails, but the Hornady 55-gr SP (w/cannelure) are a good, accurate, bulk soft point that works much better on varmints than the FMJ.  Might be too fragile for 2-legged varmints though.  You could see if both the FMJ and SP shoot to the same POI though.

Fragmentation in the FMJ is dependent on velocity, so you want as much as you can safely get.
Now if we can get TheInvisibleWhip to crank his load up to 2900 fps (25.5 grains H-335 or so) and shoot into gelatin we can really have a comparison! Hereammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/term_velocity.html

I also think that using 13 oz. of unflavored gelatin with a gallon of water and using a saran-wrap lined .50 ammo can for a mold is the way to go.  Not that I've ever done this type of thing before.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:00:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#7]
so, are we going to see any gelatin results from anyone?
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
so, are we going to see any gelatin results from anyone?I haven't even ordered the gelatin yet.  I also think that I (or whoever else wants to) should test out the Remington and Winchester 55s at the same time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top