Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2006 8:34:14 AM EDT
Yea I was lazy and didn't send the last lower out. My first SBR went to Tom Sawyer and looks wicked nice, but as I said I was friggin lazy this time.

So any of you guys done home engraving? What did you use the old dremmel? Just looking for some ideas on how to do it. It might look shitty but I'll renish it in coyote brown I figure.
Link Posted: 8/11/2006 1:02:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JMHorse:
Yea I was lazy and didn't send the last lower out. My first SBR went to Tom Sawyer and looks wicked nice, but as I said I was friggin lazy this time.

So any of you guys done home engraving? What did you use the old dremmel? Just looking for some ideas on how to do it. It might look shitty but I'll renish it in coyote brown I figure.

take it to a jewler or a trpohy place and spend $20 i dont think you will like it if you put a dremel to it
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 1:34:35 AM EDT
lazy enough to fill out the paperwork, jump through the hoops and mail off the forms but too lazy to get the lower properly engraved? sent money to the gov for a $200 stamp that someone else licked and affixed to a piece of paper and wont spend the money to get the lower engraved nicely?

why?
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 2:49:43 PM EDT
my SBR's are on my business LLC. all I had to do was write a check and send it out.

I might try that trophy shop idea thanks. Tom Sawyer's did great on my first one I just didn't get serious about sending this one in.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:37:08 PM EDT
PLEASE send it off!!!!!!! I tried to get my first SBR lower engraved locally to save time and a few dollars. The trophy/engraving shop got explicit instructions from me and swore they could engrave it to spec. When I picked it up the engraving was not only not deep enough but my 1/16" tall letters were actually 1/2" tall letters and were engraved on the angle of the magwell. I was not a happy camper!
I ended up sending it to Steve Sawyer anyway and he had to reweld over the bad engraving, refinish my lower and then reengrave it correctly. Luckily the owner of teh engraving shop paid for half of the cost to fix the F'up which cost almost $300!!!!!!!!

Do it right the first time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:42:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FlyingFive0:
PLEASE send it off!!!!!!! I tried to get my first SBR lower engraved locally to save time and a few dollars. The trophy/engraving shop got explicit instructions from me and swore they could engrave it to spec. When I picked it up the engraving was not only not deep enough but my 1/16" tall letters were actually 1/2" tall letters and were engraved on the angle of the magwell. I was not a happy camper!
I ended up sending it to Steve Sawyer anyway and he had to reweld over the bad engraving, refinish my lower and then reengrave it correctly. Luckily the owner of teh engraving shop paid for half of the cost to fix the F'up which cost almost $300!!!!!!!!

Do it right the first time.

How deep did they engrave it?

I had one done locally, and they engraved just deep enough to remove the anodizing. Just barely. Now I'm wondering if that satisfies the minimum depth of .003 or .005 or whatever. Those measurements are small enough that I'm no good at judging them. My letter height is just fine, but I'm worried it's not deep enough.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:48:56 PM EDT
The diamond engraver they used barely scratched through the anodizing. Actually made a mess of it as the letters had rough edges due to the hardness of the anodized surface. I am not saying some engraving shops can't do the job right its just I would send it to someone that knows firearms and what is required to make it legal.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:53:07 PM EDT

The diamond engraver they used barely scratched through the anodizing. Actually made a mess of it as the letters had rough edges due to the hardness of the anodized surface. I am not saying some engraving shops can't do the job right its just I would send it to someone that knows firearms and what is required to make it legal.

Yeah, that's about how one of mine is. But one of the local dealers here told me if it gets through the anodizing, it's deep enough. I'm wondering if it's worth it to send it off to be "fixed." I suspect it's deep enough.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:58:03 PM EDT
As long as it looks fine and is visible you SHOULD be alright. I wished I had a picture of my mess of a lower but I know I don't. I will check with Steve to see if he still has a copy of it. Like I said the letters were WAY too big and engraved on the angle of the magwell. I debated on whether to leave it or get it fixed and knew if I left it as is I would never be happy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:59:36 PM EDT

As long as it looks fine and is visible you SHOULD be alright. I wished I had a picture of my mess of a lower but I know I don't. I will check with Steve to see if he still has a copy of it. Like I said the letters were WAY too big and engraved on the angle of the magwell. I debated on whether to leave it or get it fixed and knew if I left it as is I would never be happy.

Yeah, I stood over this girl while she engraved mine. Engraving is totally readable and right on the side of the magwell, perfectly visible. Right size, too. My only concern was depth, but I'm thinking the anodizing itself is at least .005.

Thanks for the opinion. Sorry to hijack.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 9:01:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ORinTX:

Yeah, I stood over this girl while she engraved mine. Engraving is totally readable and right on the side of the magwell, perfectly visible. Right size, too. My only concern was depth, but I'm thinking the anodizing itself is at least .005.

Thanks for the opinion. Sorry to hijack.
I guess I should be sorry too!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:37:29 PM EDT
Not at all, great info thanks everyone!

Tom Sawyer did my first one and it rocks maybe I should just suck it up and send this one off and quit being lazy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:47:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JMHorse:
Not at all, great info thanks everyone!

Tom Sawyer did my first one and it rocks maybe I should just suck it up and send this one off and quit being lazy.
I think you should. I know his turn around time used to be about a week. Well worth it in my opinion. Better safe than sorry. If you do get it done locally make sure they have done something similar before they experimnet on yours
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:55:55 PM EDT
If you dont, expect this type of work from a dremel. I tried to be careful too. It is ok and I still like it, but it could have been a lot better......

Targethunter out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:05:13 PM EDT
I'm thinking of picking one of these up and doing my own engraving. Looks like they can do some really cool stuff.

Laser Engraving
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:19:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tested:
I'm thinking of picking one of these up and doing my own engraving. Looks like they can do some really cool stuff.

Laser Engraving
Looks expensive. How much are they?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:20:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Targethunter:
If you dont, expect this type of work from a dremel. I tried to be careful too. It is ok and I still like it, but it could have been a lot better......
saylorsmachine.com/tmp/P7060229.JPG

Targethunter out.
That is about 100 times better than the local engraver did with mine
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:30:11 PM EDT
I'm sorry......
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:03:50 PM EDT
Steve Sawyer did fix it so I am now !
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:04:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tested:

Laser Engraving
Looks expensive. How much are they?

They are expensive, cheapest I saw was about $8K. My plan is to get a friend of mine to buy it so that I can "help" him use it to do some of my stuff.

Looks like you can do all kinds of really cool stuff with it. But from the reading I was doing it is very difficult to do metals with a laser engraver since the laser (electro magnetic pulse) reflects off of the metal. You can coat it prior but I don't think the engraving would be deep enough for yall's purposes.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:06:03 AM EDT
I don't know if it was done with the same machine or not, but in my last career we had lots of aluminum parts laser-etched with serial numbers and such.

Before anyone asks, I'm pretty sure the owner of the machine doesn't want to get into the gun engraving business.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:53:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Targethunter:
saylorsmachine.com/tmp/P7060229.JPG

Targethunter out.

LOL that's much better than my attempt. I used a dremmel engraver and tried it under the grip portion, my attempt looked HORRIBLE.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 1:19:14 PM EDT
There are a few ways to do it on the cheap.

Use a drafting template and a vibratory engraver.

Electro Engraving/etching.

Sandblasting and resist, Harbor Freight makes a cheap little spot blaster that would work well.

Remember, BATF spec. is 1/16" (.0625") high and .003" deep. No reason to make it a billboard.
Top Top