Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2012 5:41:40 AM EDT
I am looking for info pertaining to high heat resins for carbon fiber work. I want to wrap a barrel similar to what christenson and ABS have done. I have done some limited CF work before but nothing with significant heat.

does anybody have any info or could point me in the right direction?

specifically I need info on the specific resins used, and processes. as well as if certain types of structural fabris will or will not work.

thank you.

note, I want to wrap a barrel that already has a safe profile, as to minimize the chances of catostrophic failure.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:03:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What temperature do you think is required?

What will you do about the chamber?  If you're adding suspenders to an a safe barrel profile, yet want to protect against catastrophic failure, then the zone of greatest pressure should also be covered.

There's another aspect about what you're trying to accomplish that requires consideration, and that is the failure mode of carbon (or glass) fibers.  These materials fail catastrophically by sudden fracture, so they should not be worked to strains anywhere near failure strain.  Ductile metals fail gracefully by yielding.

So, none of that answers your basic question.  If you consider high temperature something over about 180 to 200 degrees, then oven curing is necessary, and most likely a post cure to raise the glass transition temperature of the resin will be required.  When curing steel plus carbon/epoxy together at elevated temperatures, the difference in the coefficients of thermal expansion must be considered if the parts are to work together correctly.

I can add more, later, I have a meeting.  

nice write up

for wet hand layup or vac bag i like - http://www.ptm-w.com/index.asp?pgid=20

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What temperature do you think is required?

What will you do about the chamber?  If you're adding suspenders to an a safe barrel profile, yet want to protect against catastrophic failure, then the zone of greatest pressure should also be covered.

There's another aspect about what you're trying to accomplish that requires consideration, and that is the failure mode of carbon (or glass) fibers.  These materials fail catastrophically by sudden fracture, so they should not be worked to strains anywhere near failure strain.  Ductile metals fail gracefully by yielding.

So, none of that answers your basic question.  If you consider high temperature something over about 180 to 200 degrees, then oven curing is necessary, and most likely a post cure to raise the glass transition temperature of the resin will be required.  When curing steel plus carbon/epoxy together at elevated temperatures, the difference in the coefficients of thermal expansion must be considered if the parts are to work together correctly.

I can add more, later, I have a meeting.  

I would like 800f for temp.

I am looking for rigidity, not so much protection from catastrophic failure. that's why I am using a safe contour.

I figured oven curing would be necessary. I should be able to use the ovens at work, but I am not sure what will be required and if what I have access to will be sufficient.

the chamber area will remain untouched. I will probably start the wrapping where the barrel begins to taper
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#5]
aeroE, you seem very knowledgeable about this. if you would like to discuss the pros and cons of this via email, that would be fine with me. I would love to pick your brain if you have time.

800 degrees is simply a max design criteria. I have no intention of running a barrel to that point.

I know that this has been done before. I would like to do it.

my forte is not composites. but I am very creative and resourceful, and I do pay my bills by being able to make anything that is asked of me.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#6]
AeroE is out of my leugue in resources and knowledge base it seems, the best i can do is wet layup for a CF/glass over ridged foam core to make a stock for my model 7. pics when it's done
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top