Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2002 6:04:47 AM EDT
i don't own a shotgun, and was thinking about buying on of these in a deal with a HK94.

should i invest in a SPAS 12? i don't know squat about the frenchie shotgun systems, they look pretty cool though.

your thoughts please

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:25:24 AM EDT
[#1]

I do not recomend you buy a SPAS 12.  they are total pieces or SH#T!!!

get the 94 if you want but leave the SPAS
they look cool but they are palgued all kinds of problems from parts breakage to feed problems.

it's a BAD gun.  my advice is get a Remington supermag, 870 pump or 11-87 auto.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:31:53 AM EDT
[#2]
The SPAS is good for 2 things, being a vault-queen, and a movie prop.

If you want to round out your collection, they are good show peices, strait out of the movies.

But in everything else they are like anything italian, finiky as hell!
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#3]
The key to the deal also is how much you gonna pay?? Some things you gotta buy if the price is right.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I disagree with the others. I've put many
a round thru mine without a single malfunction.
It even eats Estate Cartridge SWAT loads(these
are the reduced recoil 00 buck rounds). I love
mine, and so does everyone else that fires it =)!
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#5]

I love mine.
It's NOT plagued with problems.
But people seem to like to say that.
It's like how people call the AR "unreliable", or bad mouth Wolf ammo.
They say these things without any personal experience.
It's not a practical gun, but it's a good combat weapon.
It's heavy, but tough.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#6]
My $.02:
Remington 1100 w/ synthetic stock
Good fiber optic sight
extra chokes

Got all that for around $575, great gun
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh and one more thing:

If you really want to use both 2 3/4 and 3 then u hafta go w/ the 1187 which is a chunk of change more
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I have owned two, a fixed-stock version that I shot the hell out of and a folding-stock version that I personally have never fired. I never had a single problem with mine. I could switch it from pump to semi-auto and back to pump every other shot and it fed just fine. they are bulky at 10 pounds, but nice to have in your collection if you can spare the money. The were banned from importation in '89, so what's here is it.

www.spas12.com
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Honestly?

They're a good idea (auto/pump), but Benelli did it a lot better with the M3.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a fixed stock version. I've never had a problem with it. Works fine. I bought mine, back in 1990, so I didn't have to put alot of money into it.

Would I buy one today? Probably not (unless I got a great deal). It is a little unyieldly and I don't feel all that user friendly.

As GungHo stated, Benelli did a better job of it.

Probably the best accessorie that came with it was the "Duck Plug" to limit it to three rounds. Bwwwaahahahahaha
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine has the folding stock and I love it! Nothing more intimidating to the other guys, with their fancy double barrels, when you go out trap/skeet shooting and do better than them. Honestly I have had some shells not fully eject but attribute that to me "pussy-footing" in my stance. My SPAS is the only shotgun I've ever owned or shot so I'm a little biased when it comes to my opinion. P.S.---My wife loves shooting it from the hip but will NEVER put the metal folding stock to her shoulder EVER again.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I had played with the SPAS 12 once. Other than the cool factor image the shotgun has, it is damn heavy and only can use 2 3/4" shot shells.
On the hand, I did not encountered any problems while shooting it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I wish I owned one... [>(]
but now I can't [>Q]
- Sulaco
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:04:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a good friend who owns one.  I've shot it and had no problems with it.  He bought it before the ban and paid about $400 for his.  

I agree with the guys saying HK or was it Benelli did a better job with the switch pump to auto concept.

I do still think it has a WAY COOL factor going for it though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I own one as well as a lot of people here, I also own 3 other shotguns as well. If you are a "gun collector" it will go nicely with your other "Toys" But if you are looking for a shotgun for another reason the S.P.A.S 12 may not be what you want. Buy it any ways just to say you have one. Not many out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top