Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2015 3:28:06 PM EDT
I'm buying a new place, constructed 12 years ago.  It is literally 1 mile and on the same road as the fire dept and ~ 2 miles from the police station.  

It'll have an alarm system and I plan on safes.  Now, my idea of where to place the safes:

The house has about 1/2 of the basement finished and the rest unfinished.  You walk from the finished part into the unfinished part through a regular door.  Once there you are standing in a space that has built in shelves, sump pump, the furnace, electrical and water heater. There is another room off of this room divided by a regular framed wall with the dry wall untaped and exposed and access using a conventional interior door.  

It seems to me that if I could remove the regular door and build a hidden door [perhaps using a magnet latch or something]  with free standing shelving  all along in front [one of which could be moved out of the way for access].  It'd be another layer of security behind which the safes [and other gear] would be stored.  

I'd guess a real thief might notice the ruse but the smash and grab crack heads, in a hurry, might miss the hidden room.  

So, what are your ideas about how to build a 'dry wall door' that would be flush and blend in with the rest of the wall?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#1]
My dad built something similar in his house. He used hidden hinges on the drywall, and put wooden trim at regular intervals running vertically on the wall from floor to ceiling, making sure that some of the trim covered the gaps in the drywall where the door was. I haven't seen it in awhile, but IIRC he used pegs and holes to secure the drywall door. One good tug opened the door, but if you didn't know it was there...
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Google?  lots of plans, hardware and pre-made stuff out there.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Hideadoor.com

Lot of designs there.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
murphydoor.com
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hideadoor.com

Lot of designs there.
View Quote

We bought a hidden door from them. Quality was OK, not great, but OK. Customer service is horrible. The door arrived with the cabinet glass broken, called them several times, no response. All wanted was a piece of replacement glass. I disputed the charge with Amex, they got no response either. Amex back charged them 50% of the original charge, so I got the door for 1/2 price.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#7]
hideadoor and murphydoor would be fine in a finished space but this is an unfinished utility/furnace room in the basement and doing something like that would be putting lipstick on a pig:  it'd draw more attention, not less.  

Thanks for the ideas, I'm still working on a hidden drywall door solution.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
hideadoor and murphydoor would be fine in a finished space but this is an unfinished utility/furnace room in the basement and doing something like that would be putting lipstick on a pig:  it'd draw more attention, not less.  

View Quote

Maybe build the door flush and then mount some peg board on the door wall.  Cover the peg board with tools, extension cords, etc.  I hid a safe that way once. Since this is an unfinished space it seems perfect, add a work bench nearby. All looks normal.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Maybe build the door flush and then mount some peg board on the door wall.  Cover the peg board with tools, extension cords, etc.  I hid a safe that way once. Since this is an unfinished space it seems perfect, add a work bench nearby. All looks normal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've read my mind.  That is just what I was designing.  Actually put a work bench in front of the peg board/door.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You've read my mind.  That is just what I was designing.  Actually put a work bench in front of the peg board/door.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was real happy with my pegboard hidden safe, the secret is to make it look realistic but you don't want anything valuable enough that the peg board gets a second look, paintbrushes, levels, extension cords, bins of screws, etc.  ETA, not my project, just a Google images grab for an idea.

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was real happy with my pegboard hidden safe, the secret is to make it look realistic but you don't want anything valuable enough that the peg board gets a second look, paintbrushes, levels, extension cords, bins of screws, etc.  ETA, not my project, just a Google images grab for an idea.

http://i61.tinypic.com/27ytvg5.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i61.tinypic.com/27ytvg5.jpg

Thanks for the tip on inexpensive hanging items only.  

If you don't mind my asking, how did you go about doing yours?  Did you hinge the door and peg board together, so the edge of both end at the same place or some other configuration?  This is the part I'm still trying to design.  Perhaps hinge them separately so the peg board overlaps the dry wall door?  

If you don't want to go public, please feel free to IM me.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine was a little different than what you are trying to do, my safe was in the garage. I first framed my safe with 2 x 4's on the side and top, one side was against the wall in a corner but the other side exposed. The 2 x 4's extended slightly past the front of the safe. I built a door frame out of 1 x 3 lumber, it has crossed 1 x 3's in the middle top to bottom, and one in the side running horizontal.  I bought 4 melamine doors and attached to the door frame from the back with screws, I put on door handles on each panel. the whole thing was painted white (frame). The entire door had heavy hinges and moved as one piece even though it appeared to be a large cabinet with 4 doors.

Now for the peg board part, the safe had one side exposed and I thought plywood (even painted) drew attention to the side, I could not find a piece of melamine that big and I would have to piece two together which also looked funky. I then decided to cover the side with a big sheet of peg board cut to size. Here is the funny part, the safe was green, the safe had a 2 x 4 frame on the side with a lot of green showing. I simply put the peg board over the 2 x 4 frame, screwed it down and you really could not see the safe under the peg board (holes) unless you were really looking closely, once you added the extension cords, hooks, paint brushes, it became even more concealed.  This is one of the reasons I think something like this will work for what you are intending to do.  The secret of course is to try and make it look normal and not like you are trying to hide something.

If anything I said is confusing let me know. Hope something said helps.

ETA, I think this is a good approach,

Perhaps hinge them separately so the peg board overlaps the dry wall door?

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#13]
After reading your original post again, it seems to me you could remove any existing door trim around the current door, remove any door hardware and you would have a flush door that just needs paint, you would likely have to touch up around the door frame.

Are you going to lock your hidden door?  Assume yes, maybe go with a magnetic lock setup, also buy a basic alarm like a Honeywell (DIY) vista 10P, the alarm and siren would add another layer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#14]
The trim guy built this when we built our house. Could have been a little better but it works. It was his first time building a hidden door / shelf. It has a piano hinge and I added a dead bolt way down low out of normal view.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Does this help

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top