Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2013 6:54:33 AM EST
I bought this FAL a couple years ago for a great price and although I know a fair amount about AR's, I'm a total noob to this platform.
So, as the title says, help me understand what I have.
Here's some markings and I'll put some pics up below.
Imbel gear marked w/ PAC import
Selector is marked S for safe, E for semi and a sloped rectangle for the auto markings
Upper is marked with FZ SA 7,62
Barrel (under hand guard) has what looks to be a Styer symbol and 7.62x51 VCL 140
Gas regulator is marked Gr and A
Muzzle break says made in USA
SN's on upper, lower and bbl are all different

I'm thinking its an Imbel lower (duh) with a Styer upper made 922r compliant. Am I close?
Is this a home build? A kit gun? Or was this made by a company?

Its in great shape and the few times I've shot it, its ran w/o issues.
What's it worth?

Any info would be appreciated.

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae14/tmushung/1374507492.jpg

More pics to follow.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:59:55 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:22:41 AM EST
StG-58 kit assembled on a Imbel upper receiver. Most likely a home or gunsmith build.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:11:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/22/2013 12:12:34 PM EST by Gamma762]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PRKsux:
StG-58 kit assembled on a Imbel upper receiver. Most likely a home or gunsmith build.
View Quote

This.

Likely built before the AW ban expired (or somewhere with a state ban) with the ban-compliance muzzle device.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:04:23 PM EST
So is this a fairly good group of parts then? I know Imbel is spoken highly of. Is the Styer bbl chrome lined?
Will the break just unscrew or is it perm attached somehow?

Sorry for the continual questions but I'm trying to learn as much as I can about it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:25:17 PM EST
Very nice rifle built with very good parts.
It may be a home-build, but it runs, and that's really all that matters.
Imbel receivers are generally held to be the best available in the U.S.
Steyr barrels are not chrome lined; they are hammer-forged, and claimed to be more accurate.
If the build was done during the '94 AWB, the muzzle thingy will not simply screw off. It will be either hi-temp soldered or pinned and welded, i.e. a PITA to remove, especially if you don't want to damage anything.

BTW, unlike ARs, the FAL upper receiver is the "firearm".
Yours is a Steyr parts kit (including lower receiver) on an Imbel upper receiver.

Current value is probably about $800 - $1000.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:21:34 PM EST
Thangs PigBat! That's just the kind of info I was looking for.
I was worried this was gonna turn into a "go join the FalFiles" kinda thread with no real answers.

If it is an AWB build, will there be other US parts in it to make it legal? I don't see why it would have that break if it wasn't.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:45:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By Ditch-Tiger:
If it is an AWB build, will there be other US parts in it to make it legal? I don't see why it would have that break if it wasn't.
View Quote

I would guess the H/T/S, gas piston, mag follower and floor plate are US made. The HG's, grip and stock look original.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:45:50 AM EST
Originally Posted By Ditch-Tiger:
Thangs PigBat! That's just the kind of info I was looking for.
I was worried this was gonna turn into a "go join the FalFiles" kinda thread with no real answers.

View Quote
It is a brake, as in arresting forward motion. Not break, as in taking a rest from your labor.

Your rifle is built with the very best parts available. The upper is from Brazil and is of outstanding quality. The majority of the remaining parts are from Austria and also of outstanding quality. All Steyr F A L barrels are highly regarded for their accuracy in general and the VCL 140 barrels are the most highly regarded.

Since you did not assemble the rifle, you are not bound by 922R stupidity. That goofy "law" only applies to the assembler, not the subsequent possessor.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:48:56 AM EST
Per 922r, the FAL has a total of 17 evil foreign parts (EFPs). You're allowed no more than 10, so you have to get rid of 7, either by not having them at all, or by replacing them with U.S.-made parts.

For all the crap TAPCO takes on ARFcom, they have one of the clearest pages on 922r compliance, along with a table listing EFPs for FALs, AKs, etc.:
TAPCO 922r

The muzzle device you have is not an original Steyr muzzle device. The original Steyr device had slots in the end, and was deemed a "flash-hider", and therefore demonically evil. Yours is one of the many "non-flash hider" modifications on the theme, which makes it a fluffy, child-friendly U.S. part. That's a good thing, because it's probably permanently attached. If you do decide to remove it, remember they are reverse-threaded.

Assuming your rifle was a '94 AWB build, the most commonly-available replacement parts at that time were hammer, trigger, sear, gas piston, buttstock, pistol grip, handguards, muzzle device, floorplate, and follower.

While DSA now makes 20-round mags (3 EFPs: mag body, floorplate and follower), they were not around during the '94 AWB. They are also not yet reliable. Neither are the Korean mags.
As noted above, you may have U.S.-made floorplate and follower, but that means all your mags will have to be so configured.

As HBR noted, 922r applies to assembly, and not mere possession. ATF letter from 2009 stating same:
ATF letter 922r
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:05:48 AM EST
Originally Posted By PigBat:
The original Steyr device had slots in the end, and was deemed a "flash-hider", and therefore demonically evil.
View Quote

The original StG-58 muzzle device launched grenades, too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:33:02 AM EST
HBR-what does the VCL 140 stand for and how does it differ from other Styer bbls?

Again, thanks to everyone for the great info.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:48:47 AM EST
That's a nice FAL you have there.

It would be very beautiful and impressive if you added a wood stock
and pistol grip like some of the original STG58 FALs were issued with.

Don't sell it.
Top Top