Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2005 8:08:17 PM EDT
Ok so I have acquired a TC 2000 that does not have a hole to screw mount a NOD’s bracket. Is it safe to drill one or will it screw it up?
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#1]
It takes specially designed cutters to drill through Kevalr.  Kevlar liks to just "fuzz" rather than actually cut.  If you do it, best to install a threaded insert (with a flange) using epoxy.  This will reinforce the helmet in teh area of the hole and make installing the mount much easier.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#2]
btt
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi, TC2000.  I guess you were not happy with my earlier answer.  

Perhaps you could contact the helmet manufacturer and ask them to retrofit it with threaded inserts for the mount.  Perhaps they might just supply you the proper inserts for the job and you do the work.

You will not screw it up if you do it correctly.  Part of doing it correctly is have the correct drill bit for the material you are proposing to work.  Special drill bits are made for cutting Kevlar.  Part of doing it correctly is having the proper insert that reinforces the hole you are drilling in the helmet.

You could always just surface mount a stud to the exterior if you didn't want to drill in the shell.

I hope this helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top