Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2006 6:11:32 AM EDT
i have a adams and bennett barrell mounted on my 10/22 i am having issues with it
the extractor is centered in the barrell like the factory one was. the gun will feed a round (this is tested with dummy rounds on a work bench) but when i go to eject them it seems as though the bullet is almost lodged in the chamber and the bolt will pull back and not eject the case, is this normal? what gives? thank you!

joe
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:14:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you using a factory extractor?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#2]
it is an aftermarket titanium extractor, i forget the manufactur though
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:22:02 AM EDT
[#3]
clean chamber?
correct size dummy?
try live firing it yet?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#4]
yes clean chamber, checked it with a dial indicator its round
correct size dummy, live ammo does the same thing (i hate testing with live ammo only did one round though very carefully)

i had it to the range on sat and thats when i noticed the extractor wasnt in the center of the barrel groove, it fed the rounds at that point and ejected them, but would grasp the case unless i slammed the bolt on the round, that is why i took it apart and tried to fix it

on the barrell it says "unfired rounds may not eject" am i to take it that the tolerances are very tight and this is normal?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#5]
usually on hvy bbls they have tighter chambers to increase accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#6]
so with the tighter chamber its normal? im assuming thats why it says on the barrell unfired rounds may not eject?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:44:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes that is 100% normal with 10/22's. It is not a defect in your gun. It's just an occasional pain in the ars. That A&B barrel is manufactured by Green Mountain Barrel Company and comes with a Bentz chamber - which is a match chamber specifically for semi autos.

I have a bunch of GM barrels and I recommend a good break in procedure. Fire 5 rounds, clean  repeat for 100, then 10, clean and repeat for another couple hundred. For cleaning I never use a rod because of the inability to access the breech end. I use an Otis or Patchworm: Wet patch, two dry patches, done. Just make sure the patches are good and snug. a brush on the chamber area during this break in will ensure maximum smoothness.

After every extended shooting session I do make sure the chamber area is very clean as well as the bolt/receiver.

FYI I don't use oil on the moving parts anymore... I use a dry lube. Available at any Home Depot, auto parts, etc.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:09:01 AM EDT
[#8]
ok shot the gun this weekend more issues

i used remington high velocity and also federal high velocity ammo

the remington shot 3 rounds and worked fine and then it fed the round but the bolt didnt grab it with the extractor so i had to pull the bolt back and let it slam on it to grab it, shot it and then the same thing repeated.

federal ammo jammed after 2 rounds and ended up sticking in the chamber to the point it wouldnt extract. the round was in there so much that i had to geta cleaning rod to bump it out from the front. the round didnt even come close the extractor groove.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated, this thing is a freaking headache!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#9]
take the action out of the stock and turn it upside down. Put a fired case in the chamber and close the action. Take note of how much of the extractor is in line to contact the case rim...Odds are that it is being held off by the barrel cut and isn't able to get a good bite on the case rim. Do NOT fool yourself into believing that the extractor will SNAP into place as the bolt is retracted, that's a 'luck' kind of thing and chances are that it'll only occasionally work right.

OK, reread ur posts. If the extractor isn't grabbing the case when it seats home, you may need to deepen the extractor notch (i.e. cut just a few .001's of the front notch on the extractor, make the cut nearer to the curved part)...i know, this is a rotten description...sorry

You can do two things...1) recontour the extractor so that it fits the barrel cut and allows a good grip on the case, 2) deepen the barrel cut to let the extractor get a good bite on the rim. BTW, #1 is vastly easier to do.

I had to do the first on my douglas barrel which was chambered with the Bentz reamer. I'm using the factory extractor and after doing this mod it's NEVER failed to extract. Also the empties are going very consistently in one place.

it's a little hard for me to visualize what's happening...either the bolt isn't going far enough forward to pick up the case rim (hard to imagine on a factory bolt) or the extractor is being held away from the case rim and is just BARELY scraping it...just enough to sometimes drag the round out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks hsv, ill have to look at that tonight, i think the extractor is barely grabbing the case, i think thats the issue :(
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#11]
It may have already been mentioned,but the problem you are having is not really a problem.  Most heavy 10/22 target barrels with Bentz type chambers will not reliably extract and eject a "live" round, as the lead is lodged in the rifling and holds more tightly than the extractor spring will pull.  Instead of using dummy rounds, hand chamber a bunch of empties, one at a time, and they should extract.  Some barrels even state this right on the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#12]
if you loosen the two bolts that fasten the barrel to the reciever, you should be able to rotate the barrel a bit. Leave the bolt assembly in and keep the bolts loose enough so that you can allow the extractor to index properly with the mating notch in the chamber. Cycle the bolt by hand several times and watch closely to make sure there in no metal to metal contact until the bolt is fully in battery. Once you have it indexed (set so that the extractor is perfectly centered in the notch, clamp down the barrel. Give the chamber a good cleaning and obviously ensure that there is built up crap in the extractor notch. Also, with a brass brush, thoroughly clean the bolt face. About once a year or so, i will use a brass brush bit in my dremel on low speed to polish the bolt face and the mating surface of the barrel. I have had very good results with the steps desrcibed above. if you are still having issues after all that...the chamber is messed up...send the barrel back.

Good luck
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Markbo,  why dry lube?  I am working on getting my 10-22 to shoot better and am looking for any little edge
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top