Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/5/2006 12:19:28 PM EDT
I usually wear plugs and earmuffs but my girlfriend cannot fit the earplugs into her tiny ear canals and says my smith and wesson earmuffs do not provide enough noise reduction. Is there a company that can make custom plugs for your ears or an improved noise reduction earmuff? Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:30:43 PM EDT
What's the dB rating of the ones she's using? Cheap chinamart muffs are usually only good for 19-22 dB or so.

I bought some Peltor muffs for about $20-25 & they're 29dB, the highest I could find locally. No doubt there's other brands that are 31dB, but I couldn't find them locally.

As for the earplugs, maybe try the foam barrel-type that you roll between your fingers to shrink them down, they will then expand inside your ear canal & not put too much pressure on your ear canal, IMO.

Also, where is she standing in relation to the gun when it goes off? If you're shooting, have her stand behind you, never to the side. Obviously she's limited when she's shooting.

Hope this helps!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:58:52 PM EDT
Thank you for your response I'll look online for some stronger rated muffs and try the foam kind.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:15:54 PM EDT
Yes, custom made and fitted earplugs are available. There was a company at a local gunshow recently selling them and doing fittings. They tend to be, however, very expensive.

You might give these a try, I've been considering ordering some myself. Look promising.

http://www.earplugsonline.com/index.html
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:16:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/5/2006 10:45:37 PM EDT by Young-Kiwi]
The main thing here is Money

These are what I have. One electonic (expensive) and one not
Both are excellent!

Peltor Non-Electronic

and /or

Peltor Electronic

The Electronic are a bit new to give an idea of how long they'll last. (only had a year or so)
The Non-electronic I bought in 1992, and are in excellent condition (apart from external scratchs, and the Head band has split a bit)

BTW the wife finds the Electronic more comfortable, so if she turns up at the range I lose them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:33:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/5/2006 8:34:17 PM EDT by wildearp]
If you are shooting in a confined space, the Peltor Tac 7 is very hard to beat in an electronic muff. A similar designed non-electronic model is equally effective. Plugs of any type, even custom molded, cannot compete in a confined space. Eliminating conducted sound transmission is the key.

Some of the foam roll up squeeze and insert type plugs are very good, but they just don't do well under a ceiling or with tight walls. Consider plugs and muffs to get the "boom" factor out of your shooting relationship.

Or, there is always: linky
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:31:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wildearp:
If you are shooting in a confined space, the Peltor Tac 7 is very hard to beat in an electronic muff. A similar designed non-electronic model is equally effective. Plugs of any type, even custom molded, cannot compete in a confined space. Eliminating conducted sound transmission is the key.

Some of the foam roll up squeeze and insert type plugs are very good, but they just don't do well under a ceiling or with tight walls. Consider plugs and muffs to get the "boom" factor out of your shooting relationship.

I like the link!! I told her after I get out of dental school and make some money I would buy her a glock 19 with a evolution supressor. She likes the idea.

Thanks for all the links. I'll probably get her some peltors. Are the Bilsome Leighting L3's any good? According to this site they rate at 31dbs.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:21:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sooner67:
I like the link!! I told her after I get out of dental school and make some money I would buy her a glock 19 with a evolution supressor. She likes the idea.

Thanks for all the links. I'll probably get her some peltors. Are the Bilsome Leighting L3's any good? According to this site they rate at 31dbs.

i have the l3 and like it. but i still use plugs under them when shooting indoors. i have a similar issue with getting plugs into my ears. i don't much like the roll up and squeeze type of foam ones. but when i can find them i like the red cone shaped types that are on a string. they fit my ears better and they are to an extent reusable whereas the foam ones are more of a one time deal.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:40:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By wildearp:

Those are the ones I use.
Top Top