Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2010 6:12:34 PM EDT
I'm thinking I may be infected with SBRitis.  For the past couple of decades I've been perfectly satisfied with 16"+ barrels on all my guns.  Then a couple years ago I picked up a 10mm MP5 clone and figured it just didn't look right with that fake suppressor on it so I took the plunge.  I now had an SBR, but I just didn't quite feel 'official' as it wasn't an AR.  Now if I registered an AR lower I could put all sorts of cool shorty uppers on it!  So, I filled out my second set of paperwork on a Spike's tactical lower.  Great, now I have an AR SBR lower with two different uppers (a 5.5" .22LR and a 10.5" .223).  Now I'm building a 12.5" Grendel upper, but I want the lower set up a little differently.  For some reason now, the process of buying another lower, filling out the forms, spending another $200, getting the lower engraved, and then waiting for a few months doesn't seem so daunting or painful.  I can remember spending months trying to decide whether I should "waste" that first $200, but now I seem to have convinced myself that that's just part of the price of the lower.  So have I been bitten by the SBR bug?  What happens next?  I don't have a suppressor yet, but I'm afraid that may be 'stage 2' of the disease.  Is there any hope for me?
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:32:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yes, you have it. No, there is no hope for you.

Here's a photo of your future (my distant past):

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/1498stampcollection.jpg

26 stamps, thats incredible! I just mailed off my first form 1. Looks like I'm in trouble
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:46:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow Tony! I think that you made a nice wall paper pic there!
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:51:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Holy shit Tony.  Do you have pics of the actual weapons?  Love to see your collection.  I have BRD really bad (currently 9 ARs in various configurations), but just sent my first Form 1 off for an SBR.  Bought a BCM 11.5in upper last year and have been lazy about doing the paperwork.  Now, the wait for the stamp.  My patience will be tested.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 5:49:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I REALLY wish suppressors were legal here.  Even my CLEO is bummed about that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Tony,

While I am extremely impressed and quite envious, I have to say that if my 'illness' progressed to that level it would be terminal.  If my wife knew I was spending that much money on guns she'd kill me!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes it does seem like alot of money "just for guns" but you gotta look at it like this.
Do you own other toys like boats, motorcycles, dirt bikes, ATVs, motor home/campers, any other type of "normal sociaty" approved hobby? (you dont have to answer, just making a point)
If so, you can own any type of NFA weapon you want, just gotta choose what you enjoy more.

.......and yes, you have to hope and pray your signifigant other wants a belt fed instead of a Harley LOL
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tony,

While I am extremely impressed and quite envious, I have to say that if my 'illness' progressed to that level it would be terminal.  If my wife knew I was spending that much money on guns she'd kill me!

How long have you been married?

My wife has several "that's it, you are dead" qualifiers. Other women is one. Motorcycles is a big, bad one. Gambling is another.

But we're a month away from our 24th anniversary, in that time, I've stayed away from all of those (I do miss the bikes, but she and I have both lost a lot of very close friends on them, so I sorta understand that one...). I find ways to make extra money to pay for my toys –– it never comes out of the "household" funds, except for two occasions where I wanted MGs I couldn't afford from my "outside" work and it bummed me out, and out of the blue she came up to me and said, "I know you want another machine gun. Go ahead and buy it. We can find the money. You deserve it."

My wife grew up in a family that hunted/fished, and knew how to shoot. Very well. But she doesn't shoot much –– the only gun she owns is a byf 41 Luger I bought her before we got married, and which she cherishes ...  she's not a "gun" person, but she understands it's important to me. And that's it's a way cheaper vice than some of the alternatives.

So my lesson in marriage-counseling, NFA Forum-style, is: Respect what's important to your wife ... and you may be surprised how much NFA crap she'll let you get away with, in return.

I just read this to my fiance, she stated  she isnot as nice as your wife and I need to get another job to add more stamps to my measly 6 stamp collection. Well it was worth a try anyway

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I took that pic almost ten years ago .... I've added (ahem!) a few more since then.

Some of those have also gone on to new owners. But since you don't get your $200 back, I keep the stamps as mementos of my old girlfriends.

Sad to think that over the years, I've had to pay .gov more than $7k in NFA taxes to exercise a God-granted freedom recognized by the Bill of Rights.

I am suprised you never started up a small firearms business.  you could have avoided all of those taxes and writen off all of your gun stuff as a business expence.  

why did you never take this route?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top