on either .303 or 7.5swiss?

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:52:26 AM EDT

Quoted:
There's a couple more weeks left in the summer.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

ummmm.....

so basically you're saying give up hope?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:15:18 PM EDT
You never know.  Be happy if it appears.

I'm still waiting on the Starline 7.5 French and 7.62R brass they promised five years ago.

Starline Nagant revolver brass just appeared out of nowhere this year...

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Quoted:
There's a couple more weeks left in the summer.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

ummmm.....

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:19:16 AM EDT

Quoted:

Naah, hope is free.  Just don't hold your breath, blue may not be your color.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:00:44 AM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

guess I better stock up on GP11.  What are they going to do when that most definately runs out?

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:46:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:00:44 PM EDT
I'm still bouncing the idea around of using pulled russky surplus x39 bullets in once-shot .303 brass, then reloading the unfired x39 cases with something mean.

End up with plinking .303 and half decent x39 hunting/defense ammo..

Of course this has never gotten past the figgerin' stage...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:57:35 PM EDT
its sitting in a warehouse next to a bunch of shirkes
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:56:15 PM EDT
Learn to reload.  It's not that difficult.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

guess I better stock up on GP11.  What are they going to do when that most definately runs out?

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:25:11 AM EDT
I myself have looked into reloading. Who makes decent but inexpensive bullets? It seems that reloading is fine if you want to work up some fun 'recipes' but not if you want to save money.

Winston, I've thought it would be cool to put .32 ACP hollowpoints in 7.62x39 cases. If you use a full charge you'd get a screamer and with a light charge, excellent home defense.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:32:44 AM EDT
You can do it cheaply if that is your goal.

I do it so that I can make match quality ammo cheap.  Sometimes it is not even available for stuff that I shoot.

Of course some of the commercial stuff like 7.62x39 is so cheap that you will NOT beat that for cheap.  Not much 7.62 x 39 match though.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I myself have looked into reloading. Who makes decent but inexpensive bullets? It seems that reloading is fine if you want to work up some fun 'recipes' but not if you want to save money.

Winston, I've thought it would be cool to put .32 ACP hollowpoints in 7.62x39 cases. If you use a full charge you'd get a screamer and with a light charge, excellent home defense.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:31:23 PM EDT

Quoted:

7.5 Swiss is very cheap to reload for, because the bullets are the same diameter as .308....so you can use surplus pulls or cheapo Win/Remington FMJ's.

.303 is trickier, because of the .311 bullet size, but 7.62x39 bullets can work...or Hornady sells a FMJ that's not too bad, money wise.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:17:10 AM EDT
I'm not interested in making match ammo, I'm not nearly a good enough shot to take advantage of using it.

I just want to make decent ammo that I can plink with that is made close to mil-spec for about the same price I pay for surplus.

Some examples of what I'd like to do:

1. Load 7.62x54R for my Romanian PSL with 150 grain bullets.
2. Reload my Korean M2 .30-06 brass (only makes sense if I can do it for less than 22 cents a round)
3. Reload harder-to find calibers, like 7.5 Swiss and .303 British. Again the goal is close to mil--spec but cheap.
4. Reload some of the more expensive pistol rounds if I can do it cheaper than buying them new, like .45 ACP, 10mm Auto, and .357 Magnum.
5. Possibly load 7.62x51 NATO if I can do it cheaper than buying surplus. Not likely I guess.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:10:06 PM EDT
WOLF has updated their website.  Click here.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:06:00 PM EDT
Yep, it shows the new stuff...  

Too bad the 7.5 only shows a FMJ.   I'd like to get some SP so I can burn it up at my favorite range (no FMJ allowed ) and load it with good bullets.  Now I'll have to find somewhere else to blast it.  

Of course, I first must find someone who is stocking this new ammo!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:22:12 PM EDT
Whoohoo!! .303 brass cased SP and FMJ!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:20:13 PM EDT
By match ammo I'm mainly talking about stuff that you can hit the target with.  I've seen some milsurp that is for rather large targets.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I'm not interested in making match ammo, I'm not nearly a good enough shot to take advantage of using it.

I just want to make decent ammo that I can plink with that is made close to mil-spec for about the same price I pay for surplus.

Some examples of what I'd like to do:

1. Load 7.62x54R for my Romanian PSL with 150 grain bullets.
2. Reload my Korean M2 .30-06 brass (only makes sense if I can do it for less than 22 cents a round)
3. Reload harder-to find calibers, like 7.5 Swiss and .303 British. Again the goal is close to mil--spec but cheap.
4. Reload some of the more expensive pistol rounds if I can do it cheaper than buying them new, like .45 ACP, 10mm Auto, and .357 Magnum.
5. Possibly load 7.62x51 NATO if I can do it cheaper than buying surplus. Not likely I guess.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:34:14 PM EDT

Quoted:
By match ammo I'm mainly talking about stuff that you can hit the target with.  I've seen some milsurp that is for rather large targets.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

I looked into it a while ago. From what I gather you won't beat the prices of most surplus, stuff that your picking up for 8-20cents. However you will be loading stuff that normaly would cost you 75 cents a round for 30 or so.  I maybe wrong, obviously you'll know more then me.

Only thing I want to start reloading is 7.7jap, yet I can't even find cassing, well I did a while ago on gun broker, stinking 75cents a case.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:42:42 AM EDT

Learn to reload. It's not that difficult.

Dennis Jenkins

What Dennis said

I got into reloading this year to feed my Enfield and also my Swede mauser. Now I  reload for everything except 7.62x39. Its fun

Only thing I want to start reloading is 7.7jap, yet I can't even find cassing, well I did a while ago on gun broker, stinking 75cents a case.

That price drops to 10-15cents when you reload it 5-7 times. It pays off over a period of time. The initial investment hurts the wallet at first.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:07:07 PM EDT
Pricing for Wolf Gold. I'll be sticking GP11 and FNM or HotShot for my Enfields.

www.bargainammunition.com/page8.html
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:22:24 PM EDT
I take it that pricing is per box of 20, right?  About $10 a box for 20 rounds, roughly $.50 each... about $500 for a case of 1000??   That wouldn't make it more desireable than the GP11, that's for sure.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:44:58 PM EDT

Quoted:
Pricing for Wolf Gold. I'll be sticking GP11 and FNM or HotShot for my Enfields.

www.bargainammunition.com/page8.html

Well fuck.. So much for gettin excited.  S&B .303 is cheaper than that and usually available local.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:56:24 PM EDT
It could be that that place is gouging the prices a little bit... Maybe after it's been available for a while, it will become cheaper.  

I don't think it will ever reach milsurp or com-block surplus prices, but it would be nice to get a decent quantity without having to take out a second mortgage!  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:15:30 PM EDT
Yeah, it's worth considering how much the polymer .308 costs - not that much less than S&B Brass, thus making it a complete waste of $$. Same with their .30 carbine. Can't reload it, why pay the same as brass cased?

Well, this ammo is brass cased and is reloadable, so it will likely not be considerably cheaper than S&B. What it is good for, however, is a readily available source of ammo you can shoot and then reload the brass....which for 7.5 has not been an option (or at least an affordable one).
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:56:34 AM EDT
Wolf's "Gold Line" prices are horrendous. I'll stick with their ugly vile .223/7.62x39/9mm Luger at 10 cents or less per round.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:32:07 AM EDT

Quoted:
It could be that that place is gouging the prices a little bit... Maybe after it's been available for a while, it will become cheaper.  

I don't think it will ever reach milsurp or com-block surplus prices, but it would be nice to get a decent quantity without having to take out a second mortgage!  

That's what I was thinking.  Everyone will be rushing to buy it, and they know people will pay money for it.  I think it's interesting that they put the price to almost the same or the same as GP11 is.  

Everyone also has to remember GP11 will eventually run out, much faster than 8mm/7.62x54r/.303 surplus will.  And when that happens what are you going to shoot with?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:35:41 AM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I was thinking.  Everyone will be rushing to buy it, and they know people will pay money for it.  I think it's interesting that they put the price to almost the same or the same as GP11 is.  

Everyone also has to remember GP11 will eventually run out, much faster than 8mm/7.62x54r/.303 surplus will.  And when that happens what are you going to shoot with?

Well, this could be the deal clincher for me getting into reloading.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:06:44 PM EDT
I think it's short sighted to compare the Wolf 7.5 to GP11. For one thing, GP11 is surplused...making it very much cheaper than if it were being produced for retail. Imagine what it would cost if it weren't 15 years old and no good to the Swiss anymore! I'd bet on the order of $1 a round.

Secondly, Wolf's ammo is boxer primed and reloadable, making it a better value even if you don't reload....you can sell the brass once you're done shooting it or if you're like me and reload, you'll end up with fireformed brass instead of a pile of useless Berdan GP-11.

And, it's also worth mentioning that Wolf is not even producing this ammo but contracting it, so it's probably better stuff than their russian steel cased ammo. Where else can you buy 7.5? Norma or Hornady is pretty much it, so I'm happy with this even if the price is right around GP-11 costs.

When we look at .303, the competition is even less. Other than S&B or PRVI (S&B is horrible brass, btw), there's really only one other source and that's American hunting ammo which is very expensive. Surplus is non-existent right now for .303, so Wolf's .303 is a good value when you compare it to its competitors.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:17:23 PM EDT
I can reload 303 cheaper. Buying expensive 303  loaded ammo with the intent of reloading the brass is a waste, 303 brass has a very short life esp if you have too full length resize.

Hopefully the prices seen so far are MSRP and it will actually sell in the same price range or lower than S&B, Olympic etc.

As for 7.5 swiss, I would rather stick with GP-11 and stock up now while the prices are cheap. Also reloading your own with Graf Brass  would save big $$$ over GP11 or Wolf.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:06:46 PM EDT
Yes, it is contracted, I had them confirm that at the NRA show earlier this year.

It's being made in Yugoslavia, they've been known to make very good quality ammunition, the 7.62x54r 80's production is match grade in my opinion.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:18:08 PM EDT

Quoted:
I can reload 303 cheaper. Buying expensive 303  loaded ammo with the intent of reloading the brass is a waste, 303 brass has a very short life esp if you have too full length resize.

Unless you're shooting an MG, you're nuts to full length resize .303. Neck size it and it'll last forever. I'm on 10 loadings of PRVI brass (what Wolf is) with no pressure signs. I do anneal my necks, but still. I can't buy the components to make ammo considerably cheaper than the Wolf is priced, not using good commercial components anyway....so that first session I have pre-loaded ammo ready to fire-form. It's a good deal for me.

Hopefully the prices seen so far are MSRP and it will actually sell in the same price range or lower than S&B, Olympic etc.

Looks to be about the same $$ as S&B, but much better brass. S&B is very brittle.

As for 7.5 swiss, I would rather stick with GP-11 and stock up now while the prices are cheap. Also reloading your own with Graf Brass  would save big $$$ over GP11 or Wolf.

Reloading your own with Grafs brass would only save you on the first firing, and only by a little bit. After that, using Wolf or Grafs you've already got the brass.

I like GP11, but I'd much rather roll my own 7.5 that I can keep the brass around. It's actually pretty easy to duplicate or even beat GP-11's performance.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:55:19 AM EDT
CTD has Wolf 7.5x55 listed.

$10 for 20 rds.  

Wolf 7.5x55
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:05:44 AM EDT
Damn.  

I'm gonna have to see if I can pick some up locally... if either Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse or Academy is going to carry it.  I figure if I can get just a couple hundred rounds, and some dies, I'll be able to reload enough to keep me going.  I don't shoot as often as I should... but if this ammo, or my reloads, prove to be accurate, I might have to get to some highpower rifle matches.  I'll also probably use a K31 for hunting.  
Top Top