Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2009 1:19:49 PM EDT
i do not have room in my house to store my gun related stuff. plus my gun safe is way too small.  i am remodeling a pole barn next to the house, to make it into a garage, with my own personal space/room.  i do have a lot of gun related stuff. magazines, ammo etc, and that stuff is expensive.
          im trying to decide if i want to buy a new (big) gun safe, or build a concrete gun room with a safe door. projected costs.

1. gun safe=approx $1000.00-$1500.00... ................................total $1500.00
this will protect guns, and some small items.

2. vault door =$1500.00, concrete/rebar=$1000.00 ........total approx ..$2500.00
   this will be a 8'x12' room with 6"-8" concrete. it will hold everything. (later a big gun safe), guns, ammo, magazines, food, etc. plus it would be a storm shelter, until i build a regular one.

i guess the only down side is , the gun room will take longer to build, and i will lose some room in my "man" room.although the increased protection would probably be worth it.. the overall room is 12'x22',  this will shrink the man room to 12'x14'.  im going to build a wall to hide the concrete room, and the door entrance.
   what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 9:11:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I know a guy that bought a closed down bank to store his collection in the vault.  Remodeled the place and lives in the lobby.
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#2]
If you can build a vault for only $1K more that the safe costs then I think it's a no brainer. Especially since it can double as a Safe Room or Storm Shelter. The great thing about the Vault is that with a Safe eventually you might have to buy another and then in the end you have spent more to get less.
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#3]
its more complicated to build. really all i have to do is add the wall rebar for the vault, when i pour the floor for the room. ill have to wait until i can afford the vault door, before i can pour the walls though, thats where the hold up will be. once i have the door, i can work at my own pace.
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I did a small room in my basement and the biggest problem I ran into was what to do with the roof.  Your projected costs are not that bad but does that incude the roof. A concrete roof will require more material, concrete etc.  I ended up using 4x4x8 angle iron that I found on Craigs list.  This was not my first choice but getting into the room with a chainsaw from the first floor is not going to happen without injury to the operator.
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know a guy that bought a closed down bank to store his collection in the vault.  Remodeled the place and lives in the lobby.

Sounds like a great bachelor pad.
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#6]
its going to have a concrete roof. my costs might run over a bit, but the good thing is, it will have to be built in stages anyway. i wont need all the money at once. i can get a concrete truck to pour the roof, the way it will be set up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Go with the vault - much more room for storage and and not having to worry about your guns banging on each other stacked inside your safe, especially if some of them are scoped.Wish I had room for a vault, I'd defintley go that route!
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I would go w/ a safe room vs. gun safe if I had the choice.

Questions, because I don't know:

How will you shut the vault door and still be able to leave when used as a shelter?

How do you plan on having "breathable" air while using as a shelter??

How are you planing on humidity control, so you don't have damage to your stuff??

Inquiring minds want to know.

FB
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like a great idea, a gun vault,  pretty cool.

Bert Gummer would be proud of ya!

Link Posted: 1/14/2009 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#10]
You should check out the hurricane torando shelter companies and photos they have in there online brochures. They use I beams and metal to put in a pseudo drop cieling fo rth safe room for protection. I know the average break in lasts no more then 7 minutes but in a zombie attack you want as much fortification as possible. WIll you be alarming your barn? I'd even put a speaker outside so everyone hears it go off.
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a vault built in my basement when I did my addition. I had the corrugated steel put in the roof with concrete and rebar. The walls are 8" thick with rebar. The room is not real large only 12x12 with a 9' ceiling. Here's some early pics.

Link Posted: 1/14/2009 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had a vault built in my basement when I did my addition. I had the corrugated steel put in the roof with concrete and rebar. The walls are 8" thick with rebar. The room is not real large only 12x12 with a 9' ceiling. Here's some early pics.
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/POG926/Vault3.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/POG926/Vault1.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/POG926/VaultCeiling1.jpg
http:// http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/POG926/Vaultceiling2.jpg

THAT is FANTASTIC!!!

Link Posted: 1/14/2009 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#13]
not sure about the moisture in tur 'vault' i have heard people  with concrete rooms/bunker type deals having problems with it....would be bad for your stuff in that case...i cant say for sure though just something to think about:)

i like the vault idea lol
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 5:23:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't have a vault, but I've been doing a lot of research into building one. My understanding is that when it comes to dealing with humidity/moisture control, you can have the vault prewired/preplumbed for a dehumidifier. It's a simple process that doesn't cost a lot (figure on an extra $50-250 depending on whether you do the work or not), and you've got dry space without the hassle of emptying the DH unit. Definitely worth doing if you have a lot invested in weapons/ammo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Where did you see a vault door for $1500? And for the guy with the vault in his basement that is pretty cool, I wonder about the humidity as well. Where did you get the door?
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#16]
The cheapest new vault door you can find will be about 2k delivered.  Expect to spend about $500 on concrete roughly as well. You will also need to run electric in there and lighting.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I got mine from these guys.  Really good guys to work with. I actually dealt with the owner. As for humidity control when I had it built I made a small opening with a PVC pipe when before they poured the wall. So after the wall set and poured I just knocked out the opening. This allows me to drain my dehumidifier to the floor drain in the next room by a hose. One thing I didn't consider and should have is to put some kind of ventilation in it. some opening like the size of a floor grate or something. You'll also want to leave a hole for electrical runs along with a phone line. Cellular reception is not existent in my vault.

On the door you can get all kinds of options. Swing in or out, paint (believe it or not) electronic or dial lock, extra security features and the one thing I recommend id the ability to open the door from the inside, That's the 2 panels in the pic on the inside door. The company I worked with was great. I took the door measurements at least three times and did it again but the door came with room to adjust it if necessary. If you  decide to upgrade to the electronic lock later you can do that and they assured me it can be easily done. It took 6 weeks to get with a 2 week lead time when I was ready for it. I picked it up from the shipping company on a trailer and then found out who my true friends were. It took 6 of us to move it, rolling it on metal pipes (looking like Egyptians building a pyramid) and then raising it in the doorway (looking like the Marines raising the flag on Surabachi) then it was a matter of a few bolts then bingo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top