Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2001 7:09:10 AM EDT
Who else loves grenade launchers? Who actually has one? Who wishes they did (other than me)? What's your favorite? Or do you like them all?

M-79
M-79LF
M-203
XM-37 Imp
HK-69
HK-79
*and more!

And let's not forget that 6-round revolver launcher I can't remember the name of.

How many of you AR-15 owners have a 37 or 40mm M-203 mounted on your rifle? What's your favorite type of ammo to use with it? Do you reload your casings with buckshot (cannister rounds) or whatnot? How about flechettes?
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:17:08 AM EDT
[#1]
They're neat, but as its next to impossible to get HE rounds, I never saw much use for the 40 over the 37.

Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#2]
what about cannister rounds?

~~~~~

I saw a 'Nam-era M-79 at Knob Creek for $1,000 in October of 2000.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I saw a 'Nam-era M-79 at Knob Creek for $1,000 in October of 2000.

If it was a real, registered M79, you should have bought it - 79's are in the $2500-3000 range.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I wish! At the time, I worked for a catalog and made decent money but for some reason, I never seemed to have enough to spend on things. And I hardly ever bought anything major! I even tried to save up a good amount of cash to take to Knob Creek, but something came up - as always - and my account was taken back down.

All I ended up getting was a butt-load of .308 NATO surplus rounds and a good supply of Sellier & Bellot #00 3" Magnums.

By the way, do you have to register a 40mm? You don't have to with a 37mm.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Yup - a 40mm is a Destructive Device (DD) and has to transfer through a DD dealer, complete with all the usual NFA paperwork and $200 transfer tax  The 37mm's aren't DD's unless you use one with any solid or anti-personnel round.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#6]
MK-19 MOD III or Russian AGS-17........now THERE is some firepower........belt-fed 40MM Mayhem........
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Three years ago, the commander of my Army Reserve unit ordered about 12 cases of actual HE for the unit to train with.  At the time, we considered it a wonderful gift from GOD!  However, the day we were to "blow sheeot up", the commander decided we should work on battlefield reporting and logistics, instead.  Everybody was pissed of, royally.  

However, as I was driving my HMMWV down the range road at Camp Atterbury (Indiana), I noticed a bunch of Marines were playing with their mortars at about 9pm (it was already VERY dark).  After a 5 minute chat with the HMFIC, we got them to agree to start dropping flares for us.

I grabbed the guys in the HQ Platoon, and we snuck out with the ammo HMMV and used the radio to open the range.  About ten of us stayed up until about 2am lobbing HEDP all over that range.

In the morning, I explained that we conducted "improvised training", and reminded the Battalion Commander that he did not have to perform all the paperwork associated with returning live ammunition to the issue point.

BTW.  Things go so out of hand, I practically ordered a strip search to guarantee that nobody got off the range with any goodies.  Luckily, we found the last two casings and returned 100% residue.

Considering everything I did in that unit, I was lucky to get out of it with my Captain's bars.  About two years earlier, we actually melted down 3 M16s when we happened upon 30,000 rounds of tracer ammo.  Two of the rifles were completely DX'd and the third was sent to depot for a new barrel ;)
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#8]
SJ, that sounds like hella-fun!
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#9]
And hella-cool.
HEDP kicks ass.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:39:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an RPB 37mm on my ar, I love it. Bird bombs and red flares are a blast to shoot. 12ga is fun to put through it too. M203 are sweet but not for 3000.00. I will have to wait for that
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top