Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/24/2005 9:34:54 AM EDT
i am looking at a rock island arsenal 1903, ser. # 425944.

it has almost no finish left - no rust or pitting, just looks like its all worn off. barrel appears to be good - strong to good rifling, not dark. stock is C type and i see no cartouches - its dark and the heavy oil finish common on these guns.

asking price is $395 +tax. should i take this puppy home? it will be more of a collector item than a shooter - may shoot it some, but little.

thanks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:26:59 AM EDT
What's the bbl date? What markings are on the bolt and smaller parts.

$395 isn't a bad price, but so far your description is of a shooter, not a collector.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:46:37 PM EDT
barrel date is '28 i think. i did not see any electric pencil marking on the bolts - nothing else as far as markings anyway. i was looking at a site that indicated serial #'s over 400,000 were likely to SA assembled guns on RIA receivers, making them a little bit more rare.

still a decent price for a shooter? might be better to go to CMP and get one!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:46:51 PM EDT
A SA 28 bbl is probably original. The C-stock is most likely not original. There should be markings on the underneath root of the bolt. Is the bolt a straight or swept handle? The serial is ~5k from the last RIA SN struck.

If the bbl is in good shape and the stock isn't too beat up, it's a good price for a shooter. Enjoy it.

It's not tapped for a scope is it? That would be a serious drawback.
Top Top