Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2002 12:35:40 PM EDT
I'm wanting to locate some accurate factory  .300 WinMag loads.

What? & Where?

I saw 190gr Federal Gold Medal Match on Ammoman's  web site.

What does the military or LE use ???

THX
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#1]
try the black hills match 190 bthp.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine really likes the Winchester Ballistic
Silvertip....moly coated. 180grn

I handload some and got good results with
nosler BT in 180 also.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm wanting to locate some accurate factory  .300 WinMag loads.

What? & Where?

I saw 190gr Federal Gold Medal Match on Ammoman's  web site.

What does the military or LE use ???

THX

On paper or people?  What is the twist on your rifle?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Mine really likes the Winchester Ballistic
Silvertip....moly coated. 180grn

I handload some and got good results with
nosler BT in 180 also.

For factory ammo, I also prefer the 180 Winchester Ballistic Silvertip in my .300WM BAR
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
On paper or people?
What is the twist on your rifle?

Paper primarily BUT .....

It's a Winchester  Laredo , not made any more but similar to Remington's Sendero.
 I couldn't tell you the twist.
I'm guessing 1x10
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
On paper or people?
What is the twist on your rifle?

Paper primarily BUT .....

It's a Winchester  Laredo , not made any more but similar to Remington's Sendero.
 I couldn't tell you the twist.
I'm guessing 1x10

There are very few (a lot less than .308) match rounds for the .300WM. The Federal is one of the few. I believe that Black Hills load is a good one also.

If your guess is correct about the twist, it will probably do fine with the 190s. I really doubt if it will stabilize the 220s enough for good accuracy and it is almost certain that it will not shoot the 240s well.

For matches, the military uses a 240 gr. Sierra BTHP MK. I have not seen any official .300WM military anti-personnel round, but I have seen the sniper school guys shooting the Federal 190s on the range.

I suspect that the LEs use whatever the department gets approval for.

Eric probably has the best price around on the Federal 190 Match.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

For matches, the military uses a 240 gr. Sierra BTHP MK.

SF, what barrel twist is the military using to stabalize the 240gr. Sierra ??  
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

5subslr5:

It has been a long time since I had mine built, but that was the ammo they set it up to shoot.

They had me get the barrel from Jack Hart, and told me to just tell him who wanted it, and he would send the right one.  I believe that it is a 1x9", but I will have to drag it out and measure for you, if I can't find the receipt from Hart.  

It won't shoot any factory ammo worth beans, because the knuckleheads chambered it with a VERY long throat for the 240s.  I have slapped some 190s out and reseated them at the proper length and it does okay with them, but nothing like the 220s and up.

Believe it or not, with 240s, that rifle has put 10 rounds into just over 4" at 1000 yards.  I have also put 10 220s into 1/4" at 100 meters.  Just one barely ragged hole from a shooting machine (the rifle, I was just having a lucky day).
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

5subslr5:

It has been a long time since I had mine built, but that was the ammo they set it up to shoot.

They had me get the barrel from Jack Hart, and told me to just tell him who wanted it, and he would send the right one.  I believe that it is a 1x9", but I will have to drag it out and measure for you, if I can't find the receipt from Hart.  

It won't shoot any factory ammo worth beans, because the knuckleheads chambered it with a VERY long throat for the 240s.  I have slapped some 190s out and reseated them at the proper length and it does okay with them, but nothing like the 220s and up.

Believe it or not, with 240s, that rifle has put 10 rounds into just over 4" at 1000 yards.  I have also put 10 220s into 1/4" at 100 meters.  Just one barely ragged hole from a shooting machine (the rifle, I was just having a lucky day).

SF, don't go to the trouble of measuring.  It's got to be between 1:7 and 1:9 as that's a pretty heavy (long) bullet to stabalize.

4" at 1,000 - both you and your rifle got lucky !!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Long bullet?  No lie.  Before the public got the 240s (they were initially secretly built by Sierra for the military), the closest you could get was a 250.  That damned thing looked even more like a stubby pencil.

I'd rather be lucky than good, any day, but that rifle is the closest thing to a guarantee I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#11]
You can try Hornadays 178gr Tap ammuntion.  It did well out of my PSS. 3 shot group of .454 at 100yds and thats with the scope whacking me in the head with every shot.
I've changed to a scope with more eye relief now.

I have a handload for the same bullet that shoots just as well too.  I'm going to work on the 190gr SMKs next.

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#12]
BTT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top