Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2007 5:59:52 PM EDT
Im in the market for a dehumidifier for my vault.
i heard that goplden rod is a good unit. however there are 2 different collored ones. the black less expensive(17-20$), and then the gold ones which are about 30$
basicaly im looking for a good recomendation for a dehumidifing rod for my vault.
thanks
cheap
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=001193GS18

expensive
http://cgi.ebay.com/Buenger-Enterprises-Golden-Rod-Dehumidifier-18-3D18_W0QQitemZ130155140263QQcmdZViewItem
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think they actually "dehumidify" air as in remove moisture from the air, the warm-up the temperature of the air allowing more moisture to be suspended in the air and off of your guns! I have a gold one which seems to work fine, but I also have a standard LG dehumdifier outside the door (which is not airtight).
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't think they actually "dehumidify" air as in remove moisture from the air, the warm-up the temperature of the air allowing more moisture to be suspended in the air and off of your guns! I have a gold one which seems to work fine, but I also have a standard LG dehumdifier outside the door (which is not airtight).

i also have a dehumidifier blowing into my room containing the vault. the basement is super dry, but i like to be overly protective as my investments increase in value.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 4:25:03 AM EDT
[#3]
bump for the morning crowd
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:36:59 AM EDT
[#4]
They work just fine in normal size safes but I don't know if they would be that effective at controlling the climate in a larger-sized vault.

How regulated is the temperature in your vault room?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#5]
If the room is big enough I'd recommend a true dehumidifier with a humid-stat.  You will need a drain or else emptying the water could be a pain.

I'm using two of these 750 gram puppies:

www.dehumidify.com/HydrosorbentProducts.htm

I've only had them since the summer, but it seems in my situation they last about 2-3 months before I need to recharge by baking in the oven.  I have about 40 cubic feet of space.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]
My goldenrod broke last time I moved - need to replace it.

I put a couple of these in the safe.

They last a while in the winter.  Seem to need replacing every few weeks to a month in the summer.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I've used the gold one for a few years with no problems. A good unit and maintenance free.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've used the gold one for a few years with no problems. A good unit and maintenance free.

+1.  Never had a rust problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top