Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/27/2007 5:59:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/27/2007 6:01:06 PM EDT by par0thead151]
Im in the market for a dehumidifier for my vault.
i heard that goplden rod is a good unit. however there are 2 different collored ones. the black less expensive(17-20$), and then the gold ones which are about 30$
basicaly im looking for a good recomendation for a dehumidifing rod for my vault.
thanks
cheap
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=001193GS18

expensive
http://cgi.ebay.com/Buenger-Enterprises-Golden-Rod-Dehumidifier-18-3D18_W0QQitemZ130155140263QQcmdZViewItem
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:13:59 PM EDT
I don't think they actually "dehumidify" air as in remove moisture from the air, the warm-up the temperature of the air allowing more moisture to be suspended in the air and off of your guns! I have a gold one which seems to work fine, but I also have a standard LG dehumdifier outside the door (which is not airtight).
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:51:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rag:
I don't think they actually "dehumidify" air as in remove moisture from the air, the warm-up the temperature of the air allowing more moisture to be suspended in the air and off of your guns! I have a gold one which seems to work fine, but I also have a standard LG dehumdifier outside the door (which is not airtight).

i also have a dehumidifier blowing into my room containing the vault. the basement is super dry, but i like to be overly protective as my investments increase in value.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 4:25:03 AM EDT
bump for the morning crowd
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:36:59 AM EDT
They work just fine in normal size safes but I don't know if they would be that effective at controlling the climate in a larger-sized vault.

How regulated is the temperature in your vault room?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 6:56:13 AM EDT
If the room is big enough I'd recommend a true dehumidifier with a humid-stat. You will need a drain or else emptying the water could be a pain.

I'm using two of these 750 gram puppies:

www.dehumidify.com/HydrosorbentProducts.htm

I've only had them since the summer, but it seems in my situation they last about 2-3 months before I need to recharge by baking in the oven. I have about 40 cubic feet of space.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:30:07 PM EDT
My goldenrod broke last time I moved - need to replace it.

I put a couple of these in the safe.

They last a while in the winter. Seem to need replacing every few weeks to a month in the summer.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:20:39 PM EDT
I've used the gold one for a few years with no problems. A good unit and maintenance free.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:26:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DLB-NRAlife:
I've used the gold one for a few years with no problems. A good unit and maintenance free.

+1. Never had a rust problem.
Top Top