Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2006 8:38:15 AM EDT
Anyone know where to buy them for a few different calibers?  As my collection grows I really want to be checking headspace.  I need 7.62x54R, 8mm, 30 cal, etc etc .
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Brownells should have what you need. And they do give C&R's thier dealer prices (from what I've heard, I'm still waiting on my C&R Paul
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I looked in brownells and didn't see any.  Maybe my search-fu was weak when I did it.  I'll search again. .

And yes, they do give discount to C&R holders, it's awesome .
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless you're going to do a lot of rifles it may be less expensive just to find a gunsmith in your area that will do it.  Regular retail cost on these guages is about $30. each.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
 Maybe my search-fu was weak when I did it.

Yes grasshopper, your search-fu was weak. You must meditate on your needsh
513-100-922 = GO
513-100-922 = no-go for 8x57 $28 ea
I don't know what 30cal you're looking for, so you may practice your search-fu
hippie.gif
Paul
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Finding a "gunsmith" that actually uses gages instead of tape might be a real trick.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Unless you're going to do a lot of rifles it may be less expensive just to find a gunsmith in your area that will do it.  Regular retail cost on these guages is about $30. each.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:45:42 AM EDT
[#6]
The Brownells discount does not apply to everything.

Steve 'cityrepo61'
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:32:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Finding a "gunsmith" that actually uses gages instead of tape might be a real trick.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

I've been known to use tape myself.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:18:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

I may end up doing a lot of rifles .

Edit: I see that my search-fu has been extremely weak, because when I went to do another search today I did find the headspace gauges I wanted on both Brownell's and Midway.  That said, Midway seems to be a bit cheaper.  Thanks everyone!

How would one measure using tape?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Using headspace gages is the right way.  The "wrong" way is sticking masking tape on the primer end of cartridges.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

I may end up doing a lot of rifles .

Edit: I see that my search-fu has been extremely weak, because when I went to do another search today I did find the headspace gauges I wanted on both Brownell's and Midway.  That said, Midway seems to be a bit cheaper.  Thanks everyone!

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Masking tape is about .003" thick.  It is thought that anything more than three layers on the primer of a new, unfired case will function as a field guage.  Like someone said earlier, this is not the best way of doing the job although many have done it this way.   You can Google it as any more info from me may be considered irresponsible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top