Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2004 6:30:25 AM EDT
    I have a DSA FAL SA-58 with a medium contour barrel.  It has a round fiber front hand guard.

The front of this gun is extremely heavy.

Can anyone tell me the reason the front of this gun is so heavy ?  Is it the metal in the barrel itself or is from the fiber front hand guard ?

Is there a way to make this gun lighter in the front end.

It is a great shooting/functioning gun, but it is too heavy in the front.

Suggestions, greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:07:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Find a pro, have them turn down the barrel and refinnish to your liking.
Very easy, just has to be perfect.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#2]
It isn't so much that the front is heavy, its that the back is light.  The SA58 has an aluminum lower and a very lightweight stock.  With an 18" or shorter barrel, it feels fairly well balanced, but with a 21", it feels muzzle heavy.  The full sized fake flash hider doesn't help either.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#3]
what Cliffy said IMO....
just get a Birdman buttstock, a scope mount topcover + scope.....that'll shift your CG right back where it should be!!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:51:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd say it's meant to be heavy.  Just of the top of my head it seems to have to do with accuracy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top