Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2003 4:20:35 PM EDT
Who makes them? I got a mossberg500 that i want to put one on. I got to play with a little mossberg 410 that had one on it and I liked it . it actually felt more natural when racking the action.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Choate, ATI, I think Butler Creek makes one too. I had one on my 500 for a little while, It was O.K. Personal prefence I guess.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Choate, ATI, I think Butler Creek makes one too. I had one on my 500 for a little while, It was O.K. Personal prefence I guess.

When we were out shooting it I think i was the only one who actually liked it and felt it was more natural/comfortable. But think about it if you get into a shooting position is it more natural (or should i say comfortable) to have the hand like it's on a pistol grip or with the turned over and like it's positioned on the forearm. Of course it also could have been that i'm not a big user of the shot gun for hunting. I don't hunt birds and all the other guys with us do so they are used to it one way, where my shot gun use is more tactical type stuff.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Just my thoughts here.  I think using a front pistol grip puts too much wrist flex into play.  When you grasp a normal foregrip, you basically grip it tight with your hand and slide your hole arm back.  Most of the movement comes from the elbow.  You more or less lock your wrist in line with your forearm.

It seems when using a pistol grip, it changes the whole orientation of your arm and has potential for your wrist to flex while working the action.  Especially when sliding FORWARD WITH ANY REAL FORCE.

If there was any real advantge, I think you would also see them being used in 3 gun events too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Zoub- I think it's all in how you do it. When i racked the slide it was the same movement. Like you said most of the movement is at the elbow, and with  the pistol grip it was the same thing. If i end up getting one I'll take a few pics to illistrate what i mean.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:25:08 AM EDT
[#5]
From what I understand, Mossberg puts a pistol grip fore-end on the HS410 since that gun is primarily aimed at the female marketplace.  For ladies that don't have a lot of experience working pump guns, it is easier for them to grasp the fore-end tightly and work the action forcefully enough to eject a round with a pistol grip configuration.

This is less of an issue for regular sized men.  I've shot both configurations and really prefer the standard fore-end.  It seems like the pistol grip fore-end really slowed me down.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#6]
You thought it was slower? I felt it was a little quicker.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Probably just due to personal preference and what I'm used to.  If I'd been shooting a vertical gripped fore-end shotgun for 20 years, it would probably work better for me than a standard fore-end.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#8]
One of the advantages of the KAC-type foregrips on AR-15's is that they allow a neutral wrist orientation.  Standard forearms and the directional, pistol-grip-type foregrips I've seen for pumpguns all require substantial wrist deviations.  A cylindrical KAC-type foregrip would allow lesser wrist deviation; however, I do not believe such a product exists currently.  I would like to see a replacement pumpgun forearm that incorporates a short rail, which could be used to mount a light, in front of a cylindrical grip.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:55:50 AM EDT
[#9]
TLK there are some railed forends for shot guns. I've seen  afew in pics posted in this here shotgun forum
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
TLK there are some railed forends for shot guns. I've seen  afew in pics posted in this here shotgun forum

I meant a forearm with an integral grip; I'm not convinced that a rail-mounted grip would be sturdy enough for vigorous operation.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I think there is but not sure 100%.

I think some of the ones that are ment for attachment to rails would hold rather well but they would have to be the ones that are non screw on types. Like the one i have on my AR. It has a small bolt that goes through it. it's by no means a QD type grip and is very solid. In fact i don't like it on my AR because it is not QD like some of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top