Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
6/2/2020 2:34:59 PM
Posted: 1/2/2003 4:25:32 PM EDT
I was recently told that in order to insure a bunch of rifles I would need to make a list with serial numbers and give it to them.  I'm thinking this is a bad idea.  Any advice?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:56:56 PM EDT
If you are an N.R.A. member, you get $600. FREE Ins. Plus, you have the option to buy extra ins. and it is UN-SCHEDULED ( you dont list the weapons or s/#) you pay for a Dollar amount, ( $1000. -  $2000 etc.) it is your responsibility to log and photo your inventory for your records. The NRA ins co. does not ask for registration or any other info.
I have had this coverage for years, it is worth having.  Also a good safe or storage closet is a must.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:23:38 AM EDT
My homeowners policy covers me to 3k, but I had to buy more. I didn't have to give them serial numbers, just had to certify a dollar amount. It really doesn't cost a lot, and well worth it if you ever need it. Call your agent and ask what they need from you.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:22:40 AM EDT
Actually, the NRA coverage is an automatic $1K. I have the form right here in my hands.

I have a rider on my homeowners ins. that does not require any serial #'s, but am looking into the NRA deal.

Coverage is _______ X .0155 = ________

So for an additional amount of $7500 (not including the free $1K) the coverage amount would be $116.25. I will have to check to see what my rider costs and compare.

Has anyone ever had to make a claim through the NRA policy?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:34:51 AM EDT
Find a different insurance company.  My homeowner's policy doesn't have a limit on firearms coverage, so I don't have to carry a rider, and they're all covered up to the limit of my household goods coverage.  They've never asked for any details on the firearms.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:00:07 PM EDT
I've heard discussed before that some home owner policies are droping people that have firearms in thier home or raising the premium to ridiculous rates.  Same type of thing they do if you have what they have determined to be vicious dogs.  I would certainly be wary about cataloging a gun collection for my insurance policy.  IMO
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:21:10 PM EDT
You have to give them the VIN on your vehicle. If you have a substantial amount invested in firearms and you want full coverage (fire, theft) you will probably have to list what is covered. It would be the same to insure your Beanie Babies.
Top Top