Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 11:42:15 PM EDT
i dont seem to grasp the concept of putting an eotech on a shotgun...perhaps i dont have the experience or knowlegde so please correct me if i am wrong but isnt a shotgun a point at the general direction and pull the trigger kind of weapon? i dont understand the need to throw a reflex sight on top? can somebody please shed some light on this..also doesnt the shotguns recoil cause damage to the eotech or can they withstand this sort of abuse
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:57:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell, they make them just for shotguns

Here

I know that a bushnell, same tech though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:10:05 AM EDT
[#2]
You misunderstand a shotgun.    You do have to aim a shotty, they dont just magically hit their target.    Yes an Eotech will handle the recoil just fine.   The USCG uses them on .50BMG rifles.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:28:57 AM EDT
[#3]
+1...  you do have to aim a shotgun, it's not a magic point-n-shoot weapon.

I use an EOTech 552 on a GG&G Accucam mount with my Benelli M4.  This weapon is also equipped with ghost-ring sights w/Meprolight tritium inserts.  Using slugs, and either the EOTech or iron sights I'm accurate into the 75 - 100 yard range.  

On a shotgun, a sight like the EOTech helps with rapid target acquisition, while maintaining the accuracy you'd get with iron-sights.

The EOTech is reliable, and unaffected by the recoil of the shotgun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:31:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got one on my 870 I use the EOTech 512 the target acquisiton is remarkabley fast
and i suck at shooting clay with my buddies and believe it or not the EOTech has helped a little
and it sure can handle the recoil and still maintain repeat zero and as AustinPSD stated i also print very respectible slug groups out to 100m
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i dont seem to grasp the concept of putting an eotech on a shotgun...

Other than the rapid head-up both-eyes-open target acquisition I don't get it either!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#6]
ahhhh i have been educated...thanks guys... i didnt know the eotech provided benefit as to being accurate to 100yrds...thanks for the info and pic
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone have any pictures of their groups with say OO Buck at various ranges?  That would be a good sticky IMO to show people who are under the very common misconception that shotguns scatter so much that you don't have to aim them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:15:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I've work with a fellow officer that routinly shoots headplates on the "bays of 6" at 80 yards using slugs.

Running at 25 yards, my shotguns keep most brands of 00 buck all on target.  

The shotgun is certainly no more a point weapon than a rifle/ carbine/ pistol.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
+1...  you do have to aim a shotgun, it's not a magic point-n-shoot weapon.

I use an EOTech 552 on a GG&G Accucam mount with my Benelli M4.  This weapon is also equipped with ghost-ring sights w/Meprolight tritium inserts.  Using slugs, and either the EOTech or iron sights I'm accurate into the 75 - 100 yard range.  

On a shotgun, a sight like the EOTech helps with rapid target acquisition, while maintaining the accuracy you'd get with iron-sights.

The EOTech is reliable, and unaffected by the recoil of the shotgun.

Apparently there are a lot of dead pheasants left in my wake that don't get the concept either!  I use the end of the barrel as a general reference, but by no means do I "aim".  There just isn't time.  I'll bet if you poll successful trap and skeet shooters, they will tell you the same thing.  Optics are not necessary on a shotgun.  In fact, they very likely limit the effectiveness of the weapon.  If I can consistently hit pheasants, ducks, quail, huns, etc., some moving at 40 mph plus, without "aiming", I can sure as HEdoubletoothpicks hit a 6ft, 220 lb bad guy at combat ranges.  I don't care how fast he can run.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#11]
are you KIDDING me?!?!!?!?!?

I know at a certain distance buckshot will fill the circle, while slugs are trained on the inner dot.  

These things were MADE for the tactical shotgun!  (and for that matter, the FN TPS was MADE for the eotech.  Cowitnesses in extreme lower window.  You get the MOST window possible while still being able to use iron sights practically.  the CMore railway on this is a good way for wholesalers and reetailers to move unwanted CMores, but they jsut don't compare to the eotech/TPS combo.)  

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I know at a certain distance buckshot will fill the circle, while slugs are trained on the inner dot.  

These things were MADE for the tactical shotgun!  (and for that matter, the FN TPS was MADE for the eotech.  Cowitnesses in extreme lower window.  You get the MOST window possible while still being able to use iron sights practically.  the CMore railway on this is a good way for wholesalers and reetailers to move unwanted CMores, but they jsut don't compare to the eotech/TPS combo.)  

tinypic.com/ili0xv.jpg

Nope.  When it comes to shotguns, less is more.  Anything further than 50 yards out, use your rifle.  If its inside 50, all that crap hanging off 'Ol Betsy is just in the way.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:28:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/ili0xv.jpg

Nope.  When it comes to shotguns, less is more.  Anything further than 50 yards out, use your rifle.  If its inside 50, all that crap hanging off 'Ol Betsy is just in the way.

I can handle 50 yards+ EASY with this setup and slugs.  

And there ARE situations where a 12 guage hydroshok at 50+ yards is the answer to a particular question.  Of course a rifle would be better suited, but you cannot beat the versatility (or weight) of my TPS at both the 50+ and -50 ranges where I'd ACTUALLY USE IT (G-d forbid).  

If we go by the calculation that a 32 magazine of 9mm equals the same amount of lead as 7 rounds of double ought (I heard that somewhere, is it true?), then 7 pumps can get that lead out quicker then 32 seperate trigger pulls (of course, you'll claim a) you can get 32 rounds off quicker and b) you'll get those rounds within the same target zone as my buckshot rounds .)  

So advantage buckshot under 50 yards.

And if you want to talk knockdown power, effectiveness against (even if not through) body armor, the ability to turn cover into mere concealment - give me a 12guage hydrashok.  The hole that will put in a BG is just pure evil.

I'm no tactical guru, but this was the thinking that went into my purchase.  Of course I have myriad other rifles and carbines and even shotguns, and I'm open to hearing what you have to say and there's a VERY good chance I am wrong.  I can take that!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:13:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've work with a fellow officer that routinly shoots headplates on the "bays of 6" at 80 yards using slugs.

Running at 25 yards, my shotguns keep most brands of 00 buck all on target.  

The shotgun is certainly no more a point weapon than a rifle/ carbine/ pistol.

The shotgun is a point and shoot weapon. Not a close your eyes point anywhere and kill everyone in the room gun. The shotgun is made to shoot with both eyes open, head on the gun, tracking the target and shooting without precise aiming.

I know it is fashionable to turn a shotgun into a carbine. And I know three gun matches reinforce that concept but everything that you add to a shotgun make it heavy and clumsy. And I am sure that three gun shooters are extremly fast and acurate with their tricked out guns but for when something goes bumb in the night a bead sighted shotgun will do the job. IMHO. MIKE.  

That's still aiming.  Not just pointing in the general direction and (most likely) firing from the hip.  Eotechs are only marginally slower than a bead sight and give the shooter a more accurate way of shooting slugs at a greater distance if for some reason no rifle is available.  Even a shotgun with front and rear sights can be shot at close range very quickly.  You just ignore the rear sight and use the front sight just like a simple bead.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:55:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Shotting pheasants and quail, and shooting thngs that go bump in the night are two completely different things.

For birds, gimme a pair of ivory beads.

For men, I want accuracy. I want to AIM a shotgun. I want sights.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i dont seem to grasp the concept of putting an eotech on a shotgun...

Other than the rapid head-up both-eyes-open target acquisition I don't get it either!
128.83.80.200/shooting/ok05_57.jpg

The fella in that picture looks awful doggone familiar.

<------------
(Also from TX)
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:11:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I suppose I ahould clarify.

Will a bead work? You bet. Will a set of Rifle Sights, Ghost Rings, or an optic of some sort work better? Of course it will.

The shotgun is a contact to 100+ yard weapon. For it to be effective in all arenas, it needs more than a simple bead for optimization.

I will cede that I am coming at this froma bit of a different perspective, as a Law Enforcement officer. The shotgun is the do all. It must be able engage at all reasonable distance, and do so accurately. By default, my work shotty is my HD shotty as well. I have the utmost faith in my 870, whether it be for critter in the back yard, to bad guy in my daughters bedroom, to the freak 125 yds down the street popping at me with his 30-30.

I have gotten to the point that my duty loadout is 100% 1oz slugs. Six in the tube, and six on the sidesaddle. I carry a couple boxes buck in my duty bag, but they are extras. If a 1oz chunk of lead wont do it, then nothing will.

While I love my AR, there is no more versatile weapon than the 18" bbl 12 gauge shotgun. Limiting the gun with a bead sight fails to recognize its true abilities. If thats fine with you, great. I fail to accept anything less than what it is capable of.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I can reliably get body hits with slugs out to 100 yards with the ghost ring sights on my 590A1.  I'd like to eventually get a SBS and put an EoTech on it, but for now it's a low priority.

BTW, rlcanon and chapperjoe, sweet guns!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top