Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2009 11:56:59 AM EDT
sportsmans guide has some eley sport in large quantity.  i have a couple marlin model 60's id like to practice with more and i plan on getting a 22 handgun in the very near future but i want to have a nice stock of ammunition beforehand.  any reason to not pick up a few bricks of the eley stuff?  i thought there mightbe a reason its in stock....
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#1]
It should suffice nicely for your purposes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never had a problem with any Eley ammo.
Eley Sport isn't their highest grade but for daily shooting... dare I say, "Sport Shooting"...   Eley Sport will more than fulfill your needs.
One of the main things that differentiates Eley ammo is the prime.

Many manufacturers use a liquid priming compound that is spun into the rim space with centrifugal force then allowed to dry.  This produces good results but can cause voids or inconsistencies in the priming.
Since .22 LR shells are so small, the prime can contribute a greater percentage of the total propulsive force of the bullet's detonation.  Any inconsistencies in the priming stage will lead to inconsistencies in the final product, possibly leading to an inaccurate round.

Eley uses a dry priming compound that is precisely measured into each cartridge.  The powder is tamped into place, under the rim space.  THEN, a  precisely measured drop of water is added to turn the powder into paste and activate the explosive.  When it is dry, the rounds are inspected and weighed.  Over or under weight are rejected.

I don't know for sure but I have heard that almost Eley ammo is manufactured on the same assembly lines.  The main thing that differentiates most grades of ammo is the quality control inspection.  The batches that meet the highest standards are sold as "Eley Tenex".  The batches that don't meet the highest standards are sold as "Eley Match", "Eley Club", "Eley Silhouex" or "Eley Sport."

Eley also makes special grades for things like Biathalon which have special cold weather lubes applied.  I also seem to remember that the newest batches of Tenex have a specially shaped semi-wadcutter bullet.  I don't know.  I haven't shot Tenex in a long time.

So, in effect, buying Eley Sport, you are getting the same ammo as one of the higher grades but it doesn't meet the tightest specs.  Still good but not the highest grade they sell.  You'll probably get good results out of it for the price you pay.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks folks, putting the order through now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Very cool. I picked up a box of Eley Sport today (along with some Wolf) to see if my notoriously finicky 10/22 will eat it. It loves Eley Match and Club, so the Sport should do fine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Just visited Eley's website:  www.eley.co.uk

As far as I can tell the specs like bullet design/weight and velocity are exactly the same between Eley Club, et. al. and Eley Sport.
I don't see why it would have any problem in your gun if it likes other flavors of Eley ammo.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just visited Eley's website:  www.eley.co.uk

As far as I can tell the specs like bullet design/weight and velocity are exactly the same between Eley Club, et. al. and Eley Sport.

I don't see why it would have any problem in your gun if it likes other flavors of Eley ammo.

Sounds about right. They all smell like super glue, too, due to the bullet lube. I have a 20" Clerke match barrel with a pretty tight chamber, which explains some of the pickiness.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it's because of the powder.  I seem to remember reading that Eley uses Vihtavuori powder.
Also, Eley's priming system uses a different chemical than most.  That could also contribute to the smell.

As far as I know, the only lubes Eley uses are Paraffin and/or  Beeswax.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I think it's because of the powder. I seem to remember reading that Eley uses Vihtavuori powder.

Also, Eley's priming system uses a different chemical than most. That could also contribute to the smell.

As far as I know, the only lubes Eley uses are Paraffin and/or Beeswax.

I'd always heard the smell was from the lube burning, but no matter what it is, it's worth dealing with the stink after you see the results... plus the fact that it doesn't turn my semi-auto into a repeater
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:01:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I use Eley in my 10/22 whenever I can get it.  I keep a stash in the closet just for "emergencies", if you know what I mean.

I really don't think it's the lube that makes the smell.  I use beeswax to lube roundballs in my .54 cal. muzzle loader and it smells nothing like Eley ammo.  It smells more like sulfur from the burning powder.

Wolf and Aguila ammo both smell the same.  They both use Vihtavuori powder too.

I'm not arguing with you, per se, but I think it's the powder that makes the smell.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:31:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I use Eley in my 10/22 whenever I can get it.  I keep a stash in the closet just for "emergencies", if you know what I mean.

I really don't think it's the lube that makes the smell.  I use beeswax to lube roundballs in my .54 cal. muzzle loader and it smells nothing like Eley ammo.  It smells more like sulfur from the burning powder.

Wolf and Aguila ammo both smell the same.  They both use Vihtavuori powder too.

I'm not arguing with you, per se, but I think it's the powder that makes the smell.

Hmm, yeah, now that I think about it I remember Wolf smelling like Eley. If that's how all the oddly spelled V named powder smells, I'm glad we didn't have to use ammo loaded with it in the academy. We shot at an indoor range and it would have killed us

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#11]
You would have choked to death if you had to use black powder!  
The smell kind of grows on you.  But, if used indoors, the air would get kind of thick after just a couple of shots!

I kind of like the smell of Vita-what-the-heck-is-it-called but I've never had to shoot it indoors.  I'd probably get sick of it after a while.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You would have choked to death if you had to use black powder!  

The smell kind of grows on you.  But, if used indoors, the air would get kind of thick after just a couple of shots!

I kind of like the smell of Vita-what-the-heck-is-it-called but I've never had to shoot it indoors.  I'd probably get sick of it after a while.

I have a couple of muzzle loaders, no chance I'd even consider shooting them indoors. That would just suck

Vitavegimite burns my eyes and nose if I get too much of it, so I always shoot with a breeze or a gas mask (which really worries my fellow shooters
)

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Vitavegimite!!

:ROFL:  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top