Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/19/2009 11:05:14 AM EST
so is this a bad idea? im talking about drilling the 3 holes for the ops core VAS shroud or norotos nvg mounts.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:27:42 AM EST
It's doable, but use a quality drill and bit at low speed, in and out, a little at a time - going too fast can separate the layers of kevlar and compromise a large area of your helmet. Put the mount on where you want it and mark the holes with a sharpie.

I drilled my MICH for a single point mount years ago and it's fine, though I must admit I haven't been shot in the forehead to prove it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:50:19 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:38:55 PM EST
Common sense dictates drilling holes in something that is to protect you from being shot is not a god idea, but if you really need to, be slow and careful. I drilled a small one in the lower rear of my mich for a home made counterweight for my nvgs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:16:08 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:18:28 AM EST
according to MSA, the holes drilled arent the issue, its the final epoxy sealer that is in those holes between the layers that is the deal-breaker. New holes allow moisture in and over time will degrade the kevlar. They wont even take helmets to redrill at the factory.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:50:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By shrapmagnet:
Common sense dictates drilling holes in something that is to protect you from being shot is not a god idea, but if you really need to, be slow and careful. I drilled a small one in the lower rear of my mich for a home made counterweight for my nvgs.

Someone has to drill holes for NOD mounts and chin straps. I suspect it is done at the factory that makes helmets fairly often.
Top Top