Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/18/2009 5:43:25 AM EST
All I want is sights, no optics
Link Posted: 7/18/2009 8:01:00 AM EST
I heard they were coming out with a classic model, Im with you on this one when I saw that they made into an M4 clone it really turned me away from the rifle
Link Posted: 7/18/2009 9:03:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/18/2009 9:05:33 AM EST by cookhj]
they do have the classic. it doesn't have that stupid ass rail and the stock is not an M-4 stock.

Link Posted: 7/18/2009 9:15:47 AM EST
I think the OP is referring to the rail on the top of the receiver. The Classic model still retains the rail on the receiver. It would be nice if they released a model that reflects the 55X type more closely with a welded rear diopter and no rail. As of yet I have not seen this model on the horizon.
Link Posted: 7/18/2009 10:11:36 AM EST
I think SigUSA went for usefulness over aesthetics.

I saw someone selling originals, like you want, for right around $3000. I don't know where it was, but it was a limited edition run and they were original Swiss but accepted AR15 mags instead of those $75 rock in originals.
Link Posted: 7/18/2009 10:28:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By sapper326:
I think the OP is referring to the rail on the top of the receiver. The Classic model still retains the rail on the receiver. It would be nice if they released a model that reflects the 55X type more closely with a welded rear diopter and no rail. As of yet I have not seen this model on the horizon.

ahh...gotcha. my bad.

yeah, i don't know anything about a 556 without the receiver rail.
Link Posted: 7/18/2009 2:37:11 PM EST
Originally Posted By Turboguy1:
I think SigUSA went for usefulness over aesthetics.

I saw someone selling originals, like you want, for right around $3000. I don't know where it was, but it was a limited edition run and they were original Swiss but accepted AR15 mags instead of those $75 rock in originals.

There are no original Swiss 55x rifles that accept AR15 mags. The 556 is the only such animal.
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 3:49:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2009 3:50:04 AM EST by Turboguy1]
West Coast Armory had a production run of 250 of them. I believe there are three left.

[snip]A Special, Limited Production of 250 Sig SG 551's.
Letters of Authenticity from Sig Sauer, USA.
All Matching Serial Numbers on Upper & Lower receivers.
Swiss Furniture & Lower, American Upper & Barrel.
Assembled by Sig Sauer.
www.sig551.com [/snip]

I saw these a few weeks ago but the government saw fit to restrict anything deemed remotely interesting and I can only get Google Cached for this website now.

I think this link should work: http://www.westcoastarmory.net/issaquah-bellevue-east-side-gun-shop-product-Sig-Sauer-US-Made-SG-551-174-16.html

If I'm wrong about these having the ability of using AR mags, I apologize. I thought they did.
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 8:07:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2009 8:08:12 AM EST by JoshNC]
Originally Posted By Turboguy1:
West Coast Armory had a production run of 250 of them. I believe there are three left.

[snip]A Special, Limited Production of 250 Sig SG 551's.
Letters of Authenticity from Sig Sauer, USA.
All Matching Serial Numbers on Upper & Lower receivers.
Swiss Furniture & Lower, American Upper & Barrel.
Assembled by Sig Sauer.
www.sig551.com [/snip]

I saw these a few weeks ago but the government saw fit to restrict anything deemed remotely interesting and I can only get Google Cached for this website now.

I think this link should work: http://www.westcoastarmory.net/issaquah-bellevue-east-side-gun-shop-product-Sig-Sauer-US-Made-SG-551-174-16.html

If I'm wrong about these having the ability of using AR mags, I apologize. I thought they did.

Those are not made in Switzerland. The SG551 that WCA is/was offering is a standard US-manufactured Sig Sauer 556 barreled upper receiver with US bolt group. The lower receivers are from demilled Swiss 55x rifles that SIG had in bond here in the US. And the lowers take the Swiss translucent rock-in mags, which are also sold by WCA. The upper receiver has been painted gray to better match the Swiss gray lower and instead of marking them 556, Sig Sauer marked them SG551. These rifles have the standard bolted-on aluminum Picatinney-type rail attached to the upper receiver, not a diopter rear sight.

Don't think I am knocking the WCA SG551; as I am not. They are great rifles, but they are most definitely not Swiss made.
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 8:10:47 AM EST
If you want a true Swiss rear diopter, you can have Frank Hatten at Antique and Modern Arms weld one on for you. First you will need to find a demilled 55x upper receiver with the rear diopter intact.

Here is my 556 Pistol receiver with the diopter welded in place:

Link Posted: 7/20/2009 7:10:53 AM EST
Why couldin't they have just give us an exact copy of the military version but only semi automatic?
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 10:25:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By Ermac:
Why couldin't they have just give us an exact copy of the military version but only semi automatic?

Because then people would have howled for a Picitinny rail so they could mount modern optics.

I personally would have liked for them to have originally put AR15 height front sights on the rifle, or better yet a long uninterrupted rail so I don't have to screw around buying aftermarket stuff. Oh, and the takedown pin being a screw type instead of the original pull pin type bothers me a tiny bit, but I'll get over it. Just my personal opinion, and of course opinions are like assholes...

Mil-Spec isn't always the best, there are better ways of doing things. (Magpul Pmags vs MilSpec Aluminum) They should have just had the original sights as an option.

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 3:49:02 PM EST
I never thought I would hear someone complain about to much rail lol.

You can easily put backup irons on a picatinny rail... but it's a tad bit harder to mount red dots, scopes, etc when you don't have a rail.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 4:44:56 AM EST
I'm an irons only guy from way back but theres no denying the superiority of todays quick acquisition optics. The 556 is a great platform for same.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 7:18:28 PM EST
I would have liked a rail built right into the receiver. Looks kind of cheap and a after thought.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 3:29:42 AM EST
Originally Posted By Beachhead123:
I never thought I would hear someone complain about to much rail lol.

Cue Christopher Walken yelling at Will Ferrell, "Guess what?! I've got a fever, and the only prescription... is more RAIL!!!"

Originally Posted By squirrell18:
I would have liked a rail built right into the receiver. Looks kind of cheap and a after thought.

That's true. Again I would have liked the option as I really like Irons too, but as was said before red dots and whatnot are considerably faster. Maybe if you ask enough they'll do some that are true to the original. I'd buy one of those.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 8:46:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By JoshNC:
If you want a true Swiss rear diopter, you can have Frank Hatten at Antique and Modern Arms weld one on for you. First you will need to find a demilled 55x upper receiver with the rear diopter intact.

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/1362/dsc03076.jpg

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2329/js556prrear.jpg

do you have a finished product pic? How do they originally attach that rear site? I don't see the welds.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 9:59:51 AM EST
Why didn't they just build a rail right into the receiver like on an AR? Many people have had problems with the rail coming loose and popping right off.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:37:52 AM EST
http://sig551.com/index.php/accessories

Sig Sauer Rotary Diopter Sight Set on that site front and rear.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:47:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By nictra:

Originally Posted By JoshNC:

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/1362/dsc03076.jpg

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2329/js556prrear.jpg

do you have a finished product pic? How do they originally attach that rear site? I don't see the welds.

Take a look at the second pic....the welds are visibile and have a gold appearance to them.
Top Top