Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2002 12:06:28 PM EDT
I must be crazy....somebody please help me / remind me... What is the correct sight picture for an AR...or where is a diagram or an explanation? I am confused.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
snip!
The top of the front post should be in the center of the rear circle.  While maintaining that alignment, the tip of the front post should be placed on the center of the target.
-Troy

since we have an expert here, maybe you can explain something for me. i generally use the method shown, i think it's called "poa=poi". i've also heard of a "6 oclock hold", where the top of the sight is on the bottom of the target center. when would one use "6oclock"?
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#4]
If I could answer that question, alot of highpower match shooters use 6 o'clock hold. When the target black is sitting on top of the front sight post like a ball sitting on a fencepost, it's easier to center than when you're trying to center a black front sight post in the middle of a black target. It's generally considered to be more repeatable. For general 2 MOA type shooting you might not need to go for that kind of accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#5]
i admit that little 2" orange sticky i put in the middle of the paper plate is sort of hard to see at 100 yards.
so 6 oclock would make sense if my eyes get any worse.

thanks to both of you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#6]
While we're discussing this - I recently replaced my front sight post with a plastic one, which I tapered to a point with a file. I found that this lets me aim much more effectively at those little 2" red stickers. I suppose I've sinned against tradition, but it sure makes aiming a lot nicer.

Does any company manufacture a metal version of this? The filed plastic one works fine, but it's not as durable as I'd like.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
While we're discussing this - I recently replaced my front sight post with a plastic one, which I tapered to a point with a file. I found that this lets me aim much more effectively at those little 2" red stickers.

i'd been considering the exact same thing. thanks, i'll try that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#9]
you are all right!
for my service rifle ar15's that I shoot in highpower competition my sights are set for the 6 o'clock hold but alot of folks also use center of target also. the only time I change it in a match is if its a hot day with a bad mirage image on the paper at 600 yards and then I will change it to a line of white because of not being able to tell when my sight is right on.
on all my other rifles from other ar15's, ak's, h&k's and hunting rifles my sights are just like troys pictures. compitition as they said is not a real life situation.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the great replies! I always use the meathod Troy posted...but I had big time trouble today getting my LEGP to hit anything @ 50 yds....with a RRA Tac Handle mounted and South African ammo. Im sure its me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top