Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2002 8:03:21 PM EDT
if a guy mounted a cheap NV monocular between his irons could he aquire a target. if the peep was right behind the eyepeice on hte NVmono would it work to aim? maybe the front sight post would need some color.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#1]
someone has to know. what if i mounted NV on the rail, and mounted a flip up sight between the NV and the front sight, i know that would be a poor raduis, but would is work to aquire a target?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Although I am fairly new to night vision I have did some playing around with my PVS-14 and I can tell you that you would probably not see the front sight or not see the target, take your pick.
You have to have either a red dot type device in front or a laser. The laser is a whole other topic though as you must be careful with it's use.
The other problem you would have is with the fact that it is cheap night vision. You would probably need a Infrared light source mounted on the gun to brighten things up and aquire the target and even then, depending on how cheap the night vision is, you might not be able to get a clear enough picure to identify the target properly.
There are people out there that are more of an expert than I on the subject but since they did not reply I thought I would chime in.
My advice, sell some guns and get the good stuff and set it up right. I am very happy with my PVS-14 set up.

-juiceman out
(like a fat kid playing dodge ball)
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#3]
IF you were going to do it that way you probably need a front sight that was tritium coated, or at the least had a very reflective coating to maximize light so it could be seen in the NV.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]
If you mounted the sight between the NVD and the front sight, you probably would just see a big blur for your rear sight. Most NVD need to be focused for the distance you're viewing,
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top