Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 10:55:58 AM EDT
could you take, for example, a 5.56mm bullet and drill out the center from the back then load it into your casing? perhaps make little notches in the tip so it folds back properly? i understand this would eat alot of time, just wondering if it can be done, legally. thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:01:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By John87:
could you take, for example, a 5.56mm bullet and drill out the center from the back then load it into your casing? perhaps make little notches in the tip so it folds back properly? i understand this would eat alot of time, just wondering if it can be done, legally. thanks

Legally, sure, but why?

Most SP or HP have the base enclosed, but FMJ's have the core exposed. If you cut the melplat, to exposed the core, there is a chance the lead would separate rather quickly from the jacket.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:05:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 11:06:25 AM EDT by AJ_Dual]
There are swaging dies to turn bullets, lead, brass or other components into various kinds of bullets.

There are some that take thick gauge lead wire, you cut it into chunks and put it into spent 9mm brass which is pressed into brass-jacketed .40 hollowpoints, and .40 brass in to brass jacketed .45 bullets.

There's also a die that turns some lead wire and a spent .22 LR case into a .223/5.56 bullet, and since IRRC, it's swaged from the rear, it's technically a hollowpoint too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:05:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RedFalconBill:

Legally, sure, but why?

Most SP or HP have the base enclosed, but FMJ's have the core exposed. If you cut the melplat, to exposed the core, there is a chance the lead would separate rather quickly from the jacket.

just something that been on my mind since i started thinking about getting into reloading.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:13:06 AM EDT
It would be pointless, wiht pistol maybe, but WHY? not to mention that you would have to get it pretty danm close to perfectly centered or it would cause a wobble in your bullet when fired.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:13:48 AM EDT

If you drilled it out from the back to the tip, wouldn't you have a bullet with a hole completely through it? I'm sure it wouldn't be illegal, but I don't see the practicality. I think jacket thickness and alloy composition are factors when designing a bullet. I wouldn't bother modifying bullets unless for some reason they became unavailable for purchase.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:13:59 AM EDT
Legally yes, but if you drill from the backside/base and make the point hollow, you jsut drilled all the way thru your bullet and the burning powder will go right thru the bullet instead of pushing it

I've made some on my lathe for small quantites of huntiong ammo, but drilling the tip
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:19:55 AM EDT
either way, i was just curious if it could be done
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:29:27 AM EDT

Hollow points are in the front.

How will drilling from the back work?

You will also have some issues with precision.

Bullets spin at VERY high RPM rates, and the slightest error makes them very inaccurate.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:31:16 AM EDT
I heard stories of guys scoring an "x" along the tip of a bullet with a knife, but I have no idea how effective it is.

Anyone ever file the tip of an FMJ off to make it a softpoint?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:45:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Moondog:
I heard stories of guys scoring an "x" along the tip of a bullet with a knife, but I have no idea how effective it is.

I've sanded the jacket of the first 1/4 of FMJ to make hunting rounds in a pinch. It works great at long as you spin the bullet concentricly while you do it. No real shift in POI.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:46:28 AM EDT
I would also see if you drilled or as posed above cut the tip off you change the grain of bullet and than change velocity among other things
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:49:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 11:50:36 AM EDT by TurboniumOxide]
I have chucked them up in a lathe and later a drill and made some .45 FMJ into hollowpoints.

This was way way back in the day, but they worked out pretty well. They were as accurate
as the original FMJ and did a number on a water filled milk jug. They didn't expand very symetrically
but they did expand.

I did this just because I was curious as to whether it could be done. It can. I wouldn't do it to .223 though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:56:15 AM EDT
You have to very careful as too much off the tip and the jacket canhold up in the rifling and the lead core shoots out leaving a partially obstructed bore. The NRA did tests on this back in the 1950's when people were blowing up guns using FMJ's filed off as hunting bullets. It's not a good idea. Just turn the M193's backwards and they make great HP's
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:54:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ravinluna:
You have to very careful as too much off the tip and the jacket canhold up in the rifling and the lead core shoots out leaving a partially obstructed bore. The NRA did tests on this back in the 1950's when people were blowing up guns using FMJ's filed off as hunting bullets. It's not a good idea. Just turn the M193's backwards and they make great HP's

Got a link?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:48:53 PM EDT

there are a lot of things that can be done. but just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:16:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FrontyOwner:

there are a lot of things that can be done. but just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

lol, obviously!

what if you filled in what you drilled out? make like a steel core bullet like some russian surplus.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:18:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Moondog:

The Box O' Truth #32 - Dum-Dum Bullets and the Box O'Truth - Page 1
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:39:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 5:43:21 PM EDT by rg1]
Forster actually makes a tool to hollowpoint bullets. Here's the link:
http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=FP&prodID=FPHP16&prodTitle=Forster Hollow Pointer 1/16
Works with Forster trimmers and has both 1/16 and 1/8" drills for rifle and pistol. Haven't used one myself, just knew that Forster makes one.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:41:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 5:42:03 PM EDT by wilNva]
Originally Posted By FrontyOwner:

lol, obviously!

what if you filled in what you drilled out? make like a steel core bullet like some russian surplus.

Steel penetrators is where you start treading on legal issues. I'm sure someone will post the letter but some calibers are illegal some are not, and also the makeup of the core make it legal or illegal. ATF states armor peircing bullets in pistol calibers are illegal, and since you can make AK and AR pistols it's every caliber they're easily capable of being made in.

But again, yes you can physically do it. I've done it with 30-06 which is a legal caliber to own where I drilled the core, screwed in about 1/4-3/8" of a machine screw, then turned the screw tip down to match the bullet profile. It was all done on a lathe to keep the weight concentric and they worked perfect. Not match grade accuracy, but about the same as before they were modified.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:04:46 PM EDT
A friend of mine lived in Kenya for many years (back in the early 50's)

He said that they used to take mil-surp 30-06 FMJ and drill out the end to make hollow-points for hunting.
Not nearly as good a softpoint or HP designed for the purpose, but much better than using standard military ammo.

There is really no reason to do this if you have access to properly designed bullets. There is a LOT of engineering in modern bullet design to get it to behave the way the maker wants it to, you won;t emulate that simply by drilling holes in things.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:56:19 PM EDT
ammosmith.com has a video where he made cast lead 45 bullets into hollowpoints. dont know about jacketed bullets.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:14:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Rich_V:

Got a link?

No link,Just my feeble memory
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:39:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Rich_V:

Got a link?

No link,Just my feeble memory

I asked because P.O. Ackley had done the same experiments and none of the cores separated even when he cut the FMJ so it looked like a wad cutter with an open jacket base.
He then wedged a cut FMJ bullet into a barrel, melted out the lead and fired a normal round with the empty jacket in place - no burst barrel but it did put a ring in the barrel where the empty jacket was.

Take home message from his work - cores don't come of of jackets and even if it does nothing dangerous will happen if you shoot with a stuck empty jacket that has a hole in both ends.
Top Top