Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2012 7:49:17 AM EDT
I'm sending my bolt back to springfield because my bolt basically came apart.  The lady on the phone was less then helpful and seemed unsure if they would replace the extractor with a USGI?

Can anyone confirm?

In my other thread someone said the chances are they would not.  I really don't want to go threw all the trouble and then a year later the thing self destructs again.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Anything is possible but I highly doubt that SA, Inc. is using any USGI M14 extractors in the assembly of M1A rifles today.  I know that M14/M1A extractors have been manufactured in Taiwan and South Korea since at least 2004, if not before then.  The surplus market price for USGI M14 extractors is many times higher than foreign manufacture extractors.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#2]
so have they done anything to remedy this issue?

I don't want my rifle to come apart again.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know the answer to your question.  It's likely an occasional M1A that has this problem and gets returned for factory warranty service.  One thing that you can do is check to see if the stem of the extractor protrudes below the bottom surface of the bolt.  If it does, that's unsatisfactory.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#4]
What leads you to believe that they were using them to begin with?  I don't think they claim to.  

If it was me, I would try and find my own USGI extractor and shoot it before I sent it back.  I'm not sure if that's what your problem is or not.  Maybe it's not.  Different is really the expert on these things and his advice is sound.  But you're making it seem like they SHOULD be using USGI.  But they don't claim to.  But if there is a problem that you don't want to remedy, which you shouldn't really have to, sending it back is the best thing to do.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I seriously doubt SA has any USGI parts left other then some stocks.

Sarco seems to have a couple in stock. M14055 part number.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I read something on the m14 forum about this, and was led to believe that sometime in 2010 they started to use USGI extractors.

You can always call them and ask and then be the hero who reports it back
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I read something on the m14 forum about this, and was led to believe that sometime in 2010 they started to use USGI extractors.

First, it does help RKIs when the approximate age of a firearm is disclosed.  M1A rifles have been in production since 1971.  There has been a lot of ebb and flow regarding availability of USGI M14 parts in the last four decades.

As far as any USGI parts recently obtained, SA, Inc. could have scored some USGI M14 extractors and other parts from the parts kits sold by CMP in 2009 and 2010.  These parts were removed from the MCJROTC M14 rifles that were recalled in 2007 and 2008.  There were no more than 10,000 parts kits.  Some of the parts kits were sold directly to the public while others went to surplus parts dealers or firearms manufacturers.  FYI, SA, Inc. produced about 18,000 M1A rifles in 2009, about 20,000 in 2010 and at least 16,000 in 2011.  IOW, if SA, Inc. had any USGI M14 extractors from CMP parts kits, they did not last long.

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm sending my bolt back to springfield because my bolt basically came apart.  The lady on the phone was less then helpful and seemed unsure if they would replace the extractor with a USGI?

Can anyone confirm?

In my other thread someone said the chances are they would not.  I really don't want to go threw all the trouble and then a year later the thing self destructs again.

Your extractor needs to be fitted if it is causing the bolt to disassemble. A USGI extractor may not even work right if the bolt itself is slightly smaller in certain areas as compared to a USGI bolt.

The rounded "leg" of the extractor goes through the top of the bolt and it helps to retain the ejector and firing pin. If the "leg" of the extractor is a bit too long and sticks out from the bottom of the bolt, the extractor can be bumped up and out of the bolt while firing.

Have the "leg" fitted by light filing or stoning to ensure it is no longer protruding beyond the bottom of the bolt.

Springfield Armory should already be aware of this issue and take care of it for you.

HTH

Link Posted: 11/7/2012 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's what I read as well, because the extractors were coming apart( like mine )

I asked and the lady seemed clueless, she could only confirm they were seeing it in the m1as
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can anyone confirm?

Your extractor needs to be fitted if it is causing the bolt to disassemble. A USGI extractor may not even work right if the bolt itself is slightly smaller in certain areas as compared to a USGI bolt.

The rounded "leg" of the extractor goes through the top of the bolt and it helps to retain the ejector and firing pin. If the "leg" of the extractor is a bit too long and sticks out from the bottom of the bolt, the extractor can be bumped up and out of the bolt while firing.

Have the "leg" fitted by light filing or stoning to ensure it is no longer protruding beyond the bottom of the bolt.

Springfield Armory should already be aware of this issue and take care of it for you.

HTH

Ok I'll just send it back I suppose, I'm just worried bc the rifle was my shtf rifle and it served me well for 10 yrs then all of a sudden it comes apart
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can anyone confirm?

HTH

Ok I'll just send it back I suppose, I'm just worried bc the rifle was my shtf rifle and it served me well for 10 yrs then all of a sudden it comes apart

That makes it more interesting.  I didn't realize you've been using it all along and then this happened.  I suppose the bolt might have gotten worn and is forcing the extractor out now.  My guess is the extractor is worn out in some way or another.  Or your ejector plunger is.  How many rounds do you have through it?  I would rebuild your bolt with a new extractor, new ejector spring and plunger and might as well do the extractor spring and plunger.  Just rebuild the bolt with USGI parts and see how it goes.  I think we were all kind of under the impression you hadn't shot it much.  I'm not sure why I assumed that.  And I guess others might have picked up on that.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not trying to be smart or talk down to you, but this should've been fixed the day it came apart.
You really need to keep a few spare parts onhand, especially if this is your shtf rifle.
A set of bolt guts and a recoil spring as a minimum.
You've reassembled the bolt at least once, so you can do it and don't need SAI to it for you.
You need to know how to make these repairs yourself.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 5:25:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm not trying to be smart or talk down to you, but this should've been fixed the day it came apart.
You really need to keep a few spare parts onhand, especially if this is your shtf rifle.
You've reassembled the bolt at least once, so you can do it and don't need SAI to it for you.

+10

After ten years that extractor doesn't owe you a thing.  Parts wear out on gas operated rifles.  Put a spare parts roll together with usgi parts and life well be grand.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 5:57:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:53:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't trust the "lady on the phone at Springfield" info.

She told me that I absolutely, could not use a Scout front sight on my Socom 16.  She wouldn't sell it to me.  No exaggeration, I was on the phone for over 20 minutes with this lady while she made me hold as she asked the tech guys more questions.  I had to INSIST they take my money and sell me the scout front and a standard GI rear aperature.  She finally agreed and politely told me I was wasting my money.

Guess what.  The new sights zeroed at 8 clicks up on the rear.  Works perfect and is a much better set up for me than the donut hole and cinder block front sight that comes on the Socom.

OP, order up 2 complete sets of GI bolt guts (I recently got a complete set from treeline), repair it yourself, and keep the spare set on hand since it sounds like you are depending on this rifle for SHTF.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+10

After ten years that extractor doesn't owe you a thing.  Parts wear out on gas operated rifles.  Put a spare parts roll together with usgi parts and life well be grand.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/partsroll02.jpg

Don't want to hijack OP's thread but where can I get one these pouches? I'm guessing its surplus of some sort?

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+10

Don't want to hijack OP's thread but where can I get one these pouches? I'm guessing its surplus of some sort?

raparts.com has the complete kits.
There may be other sources but that is the only one I've seen.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can anyone confirm?

HTH

That makes it more interesting.  I didn't realize you've been using it all along and then this happened.  I suppose the bolt might have gotten worn and is forcing the extractor out now.  My guess is the extractor is worn out in some way or another.  Or your ejector plunger is.  How many rounds do you have through it?  I would rebuild your bolt with a new extractor, new ejector spring and plunger and might as well do the extractor spring and plunger.  Just rebuild the bolt with USGI parts and see how it goes.  I think we were all kind of under the impression you hadn't shot it much.  I'm not sure why I assumed that.  And I guess others might have picked up on that.

I haven't shot it much but it still has about 1200 rds through it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:49:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I put it back together and it appears nothing was broken, my beef is this should have never happened.

I'm just worried Springfield is going to put it back together with the crap parts that self destructed before and 1000 rds later its going to do the same thing
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:52:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+10

sounds good, i will.  But with only 1200 rds this is normal???  We had some m14's in the .mil that were at least 40 years old and kept going and going???
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put it back together and it appears nothing was broken, my beef is this should have never happened.

I'm just worried Springfield is going to put it back together with the crap parts that self destructed before and 1000 rds later its going to do the same thing

Well, you're right, it probably shouldn't have happened.  Not with only 1200 rounds.  Which does indicate a problem.  And your second statement I can relate to also.  In other words if they couldn't make it run right for the first 1200 rounds, what makes you feel confident that they would be able to not repeat that.  

I think that's why it would probably be wise to get some USGI bolt parts and utilize them.  And check like the others have said if the leg of the extractor, any extractor you put in there, is sticking out or not.  Because if the bolt is out of spec, then you might have to send it back to springfield and get a new bolt.  Or you could at that point go the route of buying a full USGI bolt.  I think Springfield would fix it though, if the bolt IS out of spec.  I know they're not perfect, but they've built a lot of M1A's that run.  I've never had a jam or problem with mine.

There are only a few autoloading guns I have that I can claim 100% reliability.  My M9 and my M1A.  Even the AR's I've had have not been 100%.  I have one upper that has a near perfect record, but still malf'd once.  My only point with that is that mine runs good.  And I'm sure you can get yours to run good too.  But I would think by using some USGI bolt parts your tipping the scales in your favor.  You know?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, you're right, it probably shouldn't have happened.  Not with only 1200 rounds.  Which does indicate a problem.  And your second statement I can relate to also.  In other words if they couldn't make it run right for the first 1200 rounds, what makes you feel confident that they would be able to not repeat that.  

I think that's why it would probably be wise to get some USGI bolt parts and utilize them.  And check like the others have said if the leg of the extractor, any extractor you put in there, is sticking out or not.  Because if the bolt is out of spec, then you might have to send it back to springfield and get a new bolt.  Or you could at that point go the route of buying a full USGI bolt.  I think Springfield would fix it though, if the bolt IS out of spec.  I know they're not perfect, but they've built a lot of M1A's that run.  I've never had a jam or problem with mine.

There are only a few autoloading guns I have that I can claim 100% reliability.  My M9 and my M1A.  Even the AR's I've had have not been 100%.  I have one upper that has a near perfect record, but still malf'd once.  My only point with that is that mine runs good.  And I'm sure you can get yours to run good too.  But I would think by using some USGI bolt parts your tipping the scales in your favor.  You know?

Ok thanks, I'll take another look at the bolt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top