Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 10:36:14 PM EDT
Is there anything special i need to look for when buying a used oringinal M1?
i Know to check the bore and the ring around the fireing pin.

thanks phil
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Throat and Muzzle Erosion
Matching componets
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#3]
When buying anything that is used, it pays to be educated as to what you are buying. Make sure it is as portrayed. Make sure you do not get a welded receiver. Make sure you are getting what you pay for. If it is in poor condition do not pay a good price. Etc.,etc.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Here ya go.

www.jouster.com/Bulletin/Evaluate.html

ETA:
Here is a link to check the year made.

www.jouster.com/serial/serial.html

Here is a place to read up on re-welded receivers.

www.fulton-armory.com/
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#5]
#1 Check for rewelded recvr or cracked heel & recvr safety web .
#2 Barrel, Check Muzzle and bore condition. Look out for " Spliced " sleeved 03A3 barrel .
#3 Op-rod for serviceability, tab and piston dimensions.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#6]
if you are going to be buying a M1, it pays to buy one from the CMP........not only will you save a ton of money by not buying a overpriced M1 from some green teeth dealer, which in all reality will be a CMP rack grade garand,  but they are grouped in catagories, service grades being the best of the lot, with under 5 for muzzle wear, and throat erosion...........I hand picked my HRA M1 from the NORTH STORE, and it's a 1 and 1 for MW TE

www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm#Service

here is the eligibilty requirements.....

www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/eligibility_requirements.htm
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:28:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I just got my Greek Return Service grade yesterday, and man is it nice

BTW I recieved the rifle in less than 2 weeks from when the info was sent to the CMP.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top