Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2002 6:39:25 PM EDT
What is everyone's feelings on building or buying an AR carbine?  I have seen threads where people have said that you don't need special tools to assemble an AR and that it takes about an hour.  Is this fact or fiction?  I have always assumed that you had to have one of the armorer's tool kits that many manufacturers offer.  I have a USMC armorer's technical manual and a boat load of hand tools. Is this enough or am I getting in over my head?

Also who offers the best kits with the best prices?

thanks for any information
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I bought my first AR (AR-180B).

I decided to build my next one (hopefully a 9mm carbine but able to go back to 5.56mm).

I decided to build because

a)It gives me a project to do
b)It's a wee bit cheaper
c)I buy the parts I need as I need them, so I spread the cost around.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#2]
i have built 3 ars in the past half year or so. first one took an hour and a half (was real carefull) the rest took an hour each. i use a varity of common tools (punch, needle nose pliars, normal hammer, ect) i find some electrical tape comes in handy. you dont need any special tools, the avrage guy has all they need. a few tips are nice,

1. put tape on the receiver around the bolt catch, cause thiers a chance you will ding it putting the bolt catch pin in.

2.when installing the trigger guard pin, rest the receiver on wood, cause its possible to crack the receiver if you dont(you will see what i mean)

3. any smaller sized punch will work to build it, but a set including some smaller ones is required to disassymble.(punch set was the only thing i bough to do mine, about 20$.)

4. be carefull with spring parts, the springs like to get away on you.    

5. if you have any questions during build, you have about 1000 obsessed ar15 nuts at your disposal

if i were you, i would get a RRA lower and a JT kit. even if you still buy a punch set, you will save plenty-o-cash
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

if i were you, i would get a RRA lower and a JT kit. even if you still buy a punch set, you will save plenty-o-cash

How's the RRA lower compare to the Bushmaster Lower?

I'm debating between the two. I think I'm going to go with the stripped and buy a parts kit, 'cause it might be fun to build.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:25:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm debating between the two. I think I'm going to go with the stripped and buy a parts kit, 'cause it might be fun to build.

I built a M4 from all RRA parts.  Started with a stripped upper and lower (bought localy), with the exception of the RRA fixed stock which was bought on the EE, got the rest of the parts from Georgia Precision and the M4 profile barrel from Pete-in-NH.  Great looking lower and upper and it shoots flawlessly.  Not a lick of problem with it. I would highly reccomend RRA.  BTW; I also have a 20" Bushmaster that I bought new from a dealer.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 6:20:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Build!!!  I've gotten it down to about 30 min, start to finish.  I will second the JT kits www.jtdistributing.comas well.  Great stuff
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

RRA has great fit and finish, teh main diffrence between it and the bushmaster is 80$. if you look, you can get an RRA for 120 or less. JT kit 450 shipped, lower 130, thats a great AR for under 600$.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#7]
In reply to your basic question, Build!

You will learn more about the intricate and finite workings of your AR when you build one from scratch.

I thought I knew all about AR's a few years ago, then I built one and realized that I didn't know crap.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#8]
What about headspace, do you need to use those go/no go gages?  Also who makes these JT kits?  I hear a lot of good things about them.  I have also seen a complete DPMS kit for $419 is it comparable with the JT?

I agree that assembling one from scratch would give you a great perspective on operation.  

MATTSD: I know I can count on all the AR nuts out there because this site is the looney bin that they keep them in!

thanks for all the great info!
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What about headspace, do you need to use those go/no go gages?  Also who makes these JT kits?  I hear a lot of good things about them.  I have also seen a complete DPMS kit for $419 is it comparable with the JT?

any major kit you buy will be headspaced. i have no experiance with teh SPMS, but i would say they are compairable to the JT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top