Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/19/2012 5:28:16 AM EST
Made a lowball offer and the shop accepted.
I made a chamber cast this weekend and diwcovered it is still in 6.5x50 thinking of rechambering to 6.5x55 swede is it as simple as running a reamer and head spacing or do i need to set the barrel back?
The cast shows all points are smaller than the swede cartrige so the chamber should clean up but I have never used a reamer before.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:13:42 PM EST
The correct way is to set the barrel back and rechamber, as well as opening up the boltface and extractor for the larger diameter rim.
You might also need to tweak the receiver rails and / or follower for trouble-free feeding.

Seems like a lot of work to get something that is, practically speaking, a ballistic twin. The 6.5 Arisaka brass and ammo are available; certainly not common, but available. The rifles have a reputation for sloppy chambers with resultant short caselife, but annealing and neck-sizing only will significantly extend brass life.
I have not done it, but .35 Rem cases are said to be easily reformed to 6.5 Arisaka via a one-step trip through the 6.5x50 sizing die, although the necks come out a little short.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:17:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 7:18:00 PM EST by hardhit77]
Thanks pigbat, the Brazilian mauser I got from you is coming along slowly but surely. Its off at the smith getting a sight adapter made art the moment. Another month or so i hope to be done with it. Then I'll figure this one out.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:43:09 AM EST
Kewl!
Be sure to post pics of the finished product(s)!
Top Top