Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2003 11:10:23 PM EDT
I have a new M1A and the bolt binds about halfway to locked position,its very tough to open.and then when released it needs a good push on op rod to close,my other M1A operates freely,is this a safety concern?.at the range its fine,not noticable when firing...i'm thinking of sending it back to SA for repair..any suggestions are appreciated

thanks
Longhunter
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:38:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Remove the barrel receiver group from the stock and remove the operating rod spring and guide.  Tip the assembly back and forth.  The bolt should open and close by the weight of the oprod.  Clickity click, clickity click.

If this works replace the stock, but not trigger group and repeat.  If it binds here and not before there's something in the stock binding.  (The bolt rides over the hammer, so the trigger group needs to be removed.)

Contact Springfield, it costs about 12 bucks to send the rifle to them.  

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the rifle properly greased??? I have seen too many new M1A's, where the newbie owner used oil instead of grease and ran into all sorts of problmes...
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#3]
yes plenty of grease,thats not the problem,i'll try that suggestion with op rod.thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top