Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 11:33:13 PM EDT
check these out, much better than flight gloves.  the winter ones are good till below 0'F.
www.palmflex.com/storefront/detail.aspx?ID=161
www.palmflex.com/storefront/detail.aspx?ID=257
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought all the cool kids were wearing Mechanix gloves these days...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#2]
you know, i have had a hard time on deciding gloves for my upcoming class. I have never shot with them, so i'll be completely new to the idea of gloved hands.

but with 3000rounds of .45acp in 3days, it seems like a no brainer?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Whatever gloves you chose, practice shooting with them on before you go to a course.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#4]
here is another question, how often do people buy gloves, and then cut the index tip off for better trigger control?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
here is another question, how often do people buy gloves, and then cut the index tip off for better trigger control?

never
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#6]
i use mechanix gloves....and no i'm not cool....but i do work on cars and race so that's what got me using them cuz they work wonders and have saved me many of times when resting my hand on a hot intake or radiator or having to work around a hot transmission on a rail car .....so these gloves are what i'm used to and they work for me while shooting....not to mention they're durable, have good grip, can pick things up easily and the list goes on....but if i find an extra $15 laying around i might give these gloves a try
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought the un-cool kids wore the $10 mechanic's gloves from Menard's, and the k00l kIDz wore flight gloves or those things from Blackhawk and other tactical gear manufacturers.

I was recently given a pair of brightly colored framer's gloves.  They're similar to mechanic's gloves, but the palms and fingers are real leather instead of the synthetic stuff that shreds so easily.  They also have the first two fingers cut away.  I've been wearing the left one when I shoot shotgun in 3-Gun matches for reloading (I do the "roll & burn").

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:33:35 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 for www.southwestmotorsports.com
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#10]
How good are the palmflex gloves on picking up fine things? And what about heat, are they heat resistant like the BlackHawk!!!!!111™® (insert explosion noises here) Nomex gloves are?

I'd pick up several pairs of these if they were comparable to BlackHawk!!!!!111™® (insert gunfire noises here) gloves.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I picked up a pair of the Ironclad Heavy Duty Landscaper gloves and they are GTG.
Not pretty but well made.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I picked up a pair of the Ironclad Heavy Duty Landscaper gloves and they are GTG.

ironclad.jbytes.com/www/images/products/largeImage16.jpg

I like those, they got the sweatband on the thumb, that is low drag right there.

How does trigger control do fo ryou? Seems like the finger tips on those gloves would do good..
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Doesn't look like they're flame proof.  That's one of the whole points of the Nomex flight gloves.  
That being the case, you should compare these to other mechanic's/worker's/gardener's gloves.  

I worry that these plastic gloves will become a gooey fireball while stuck on my hand, thus I like the idea of Nomex/flame resistant.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like those, they got the sweatband on the thumb, that is low drag right there.

How does trigger control do fo ryou? Seems like the finger tips on those gloves would do good..

They fit your finger (tips) great.  About the same overall profile as USGI Nomex.  
The fact that they don't go down to your elbow is a plus (my preference).
The reinforced areas are thicker than the rest of the 'jointed' areas.  I would try and find a dealer and try them on.  I ended up with a small instead of a medium because I like them to fit snug.  Nothing worse than loose gloves.  IC makes a Tac Glove but these are better IMO
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Doesn't look like they're flame proof.  That's one of the whole points of the Nomex flight gloves.  
That being the case, you should compare these to other mechanic's/worker's/gardener's gloves.  

I worry that these plastic gloves will become a gooey fireball while stuck on my hand, thus I like the idea of Nomex/flame resistant.  

Are you reaching into fire with them?  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#16]
im looking for gloves that just help me hold onto my firearm/protect my hands after 3 days of shooting a shitload of .45acp. these seem to be the ticket...

-retention
-comfort
-good trigger control
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

These look like what I want, now if I could only find them near me to try them on

ETA - Oh, there are many places around me that have them... it is just that their website didn't like FoxFire when looking for a dealer
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

These look like what I want, now if I could only find them near me to try them on

If yall have United Rental nearby then they should carry them or get them for you.
I had the local shop order them for me........just be nice  
btw  I saw several listed in MN (dont know your city)
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If yall have United Rental nearby then they should carry them or get them for you.
I had the local shop order them for me........just be nice  
btw  I saw several listed in MN (dont know your city)

I aint go good at this there interweb

Yeah, I found a place that is about a mile away from my house that sells the brand, I am going to go try to size them.

Thanks for the help and also the brand recomendation!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#20]
BAM!!! There and back!!

had to toss the gun in for shits and giggles
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
How good are the palmflex gloves on picking up fine things? And what about heat, are they heat resistant like the BlackHawk!!!!!111™® (insert explosion noises here) Nomex gloves are?

I'd pick up several pairs of these if they were comparable to BlackHawk!!!!!111™® (insert gunfire noises here) gloves.

pretty much same dexterity as nomex.  thicker softer leather, and between the fingers is leather-which is the first to go on my gloves usually.  no double or thick layers on palms.  back is normal mechanix wear type material, never had them catch fire when using a grinder.  velcro on wrist is pia at first till it gets full of threads and stuff.  i really like the winter ones.  i bought a pair at the sportsmans warehouse a month ago, and have since gotten myself another pair of winters and two summers, and the old lady a winter and 2 summers.  these have replaced my nomex, which i have sworn by for years.  old lady had been wearing the hatch streetguards.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:10:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If you are in military(IED)/LEO(drug lab) environment, fire can sometimes reach out to you and synthetics that don't melt and adhere to your skin are often appreciated after the fact.

If you just need a gun for shooting at the range then the only advantage of heat resistant material is you don't leave little bits of the glove on the barrel if you get careless.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you light a match your fingers are only milimeters away from flame.  I maintain a survival awareness and have kerosene heaters and lamps that I test frequently.  I also camp frequently, and cook outdoors frequently including dutch oven cooking.  All these activities include frequent use of flame at times only milimeters from my gloves.  All leather and wool gloves work OK they don't easilly catch on fire, but they're not so good if I have to grab a pistol.  I'd like gloves that can do it all.  I've noticed that these synthetic gloves (which admittedly are nice for work/shooting) never say anything about what will happen if they're exposed to a flame even briefley.  I really wouldn't want a flaming mass of goo stuck to my hands destroying them just because a spark from the fire accidentally landed on them.  Think about it.  That is the point of flight gloves i.e. they provide flame protection.  Even in shooting there is an intense flame only milimeters from your glove.  I'm not saying I don't like these synthetic work gloves.  I'm just worried by their silence regarding flammability.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#24]
glovtag
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone have luck with Oakley's Pilot gloves?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

these are really similar to the new Wiley Gloves...

im looking for more of a review on those type also..
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

these are really similar to the new Wiley Gloves...

im looking for more of a review on those type also..

Hmm, yes, those do look interesting

For the masses:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#28]
i would like to try the wiley's before i throw down $75, but i dont know anyone who carries them.

Buy cheap, buy twice.
Buy once, cry once
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
BAM!!! There and back!!

photos.yafro.com/pics3/i/20060323/16/9/5/9/959df101e20cb7e71b2feba45115bd62200603230_full.jpg

had to toss the gun in for shits and giggles

What do you think?  I see you picked up some of the other styles.  they looked good as well but the Landscapers fit me a little better.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
What do you think?  I see you picked up some of the other styles.  they looked good as well but the Landscapers fit me a little better.

I got a set of the "Framers" too because I like to be able to feel things with my finger tips.  The gloves fit very well, but I think I will have to wear them in because the grips on the inside hand part of each glove is not real grippy now.  Best thing about the gloves is that they don't go far down my wrist, and that it what I like.

Got the Landscapers for when it is cold out or whatever.

I think both pairs will be seeing some OD spray paint soon
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
i would like to try the wiley's before i throw down $75, but i dont know anyone who carries them.

Buy cheap, buy twice.
Buy once, cry once

I don't even think they have been released yet....have they?

Can't find squat on Wiley's website.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy cheap, buy twice.
Buy once, cry once

active sale on the EE
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Having owned motorcycle gloves with carbon fiber molded knuckles before the trend was adopted by the firearms community I can say that I have little interest for general purpose firearm use. I have tried on the Oakley gloves and just don't like how they bunch up on the top when my hand is open. Many people seem to think that shooting gloves are only used when the gun is in your hand when in reality they are used mostly for every thing BUT when the gun is in your hand. I understand that the molded knuckles are theoretically to give a striking surface and hand support but I find it unrealistic and impractical.

I have found that flight gloves do not fit me the way that an MX style glove such Mechanix, for example. I originally started using Fox gloves but began looking elsewhere when the neoprene sections on the side of the fingers started melting and wearing out. I switched to Mechanix as a result because most of the finger is made from high temp resistant materials, not just the finger pads. There are several Mechanix models made but I prefer the plain-Jain version because it gives the best protection without being bulky in the palm and fingers. I started off with red and switched to black when they wore out but have now purchased the camo version because it is subdued lacks the white lettering.

It comes down to personal preference, and this is mine so YMMV and CYA
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Having owned motorcycle gloves with carbon fiber molded knuckles before the trend was adopted by the firearms community I can say that I have little interest for general purpose firearm use. I have tried on the Oakley gloves and just don't like how they bunch up on the top when my hand is open. Many people seem to think that shooting gloves are only used when the gun is in your hand when in reality they are used mostly for every thing BUT when the gun is in your hand. I understand that the molded knuckles are theoretically to give a striking surface and hand support but I find it unrealistic and impractical.

I have found that flight gloves do not fit me the way that an MX style glove such Mechanix, for example. I originally started using Fox gloves but began looking elsewhere when the neoprene sections on the side of the fingers started melting and wearing out. I switched to Mechanix as a result because most of the finger is made from high temp resistant materials, not just the finger pads. There are several Mechanix models made but I prefer the plain-Jain version because it gives the best protection without being bulky in the palm and fingers. I started off with red and switched to black when they wore out but have now purchased the camo version because it is subdued lacks the white lettering.

It comes down to personal preference, and this is mine so YMMV and CYA

i can understand this viewpoint, those gloves do seem like they would 'bunch up' and add some bulk...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#35]
tag
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#36]
I lke the Mechanix "Fast Fit" gloves. I hate the velcro straps.

They are usually only about $12 and last a long time. I do wish they made them in more neutral color though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#37]
I just picked up a pair of the new Wiley-X CAG-1 gloves at the clothing sales store. I lucked out because it was the only pair left and they were on sale. What surprised me was they were in black. I didn't know that Wiley-X made them in black.  I have not had much of a chance to wear them but they are comfortable. There are a few things that I noticed that I don’t like about them. First that there are a few seams that have come undone around the elastic by the wrist area. Second that the pinky is longer, this makes my hand look freakish. Third, the knuckle protector on the pinky is large, which once again makes it look freakish. But all in all I like these gloves for the most part and they were on sale.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I really like my Hatch Shorties so far in terms of fit, but I haven't actually had a chance to get out and work or shoot in them.  I'm hoping I've got a good pair since a few people are reporting them falling apart.  I really hope not because they fit incredibly well with virtually no bunching at all.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Has anybody tried some of the gloves from Home Depot.

I saw these and figured they'd probably work pretty well.

The ones I saw at my local HD actually looked tougher than these but they had ones like these with thumb, index, and middle finger cut.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/646912780892_4.jpg

The ones I saw at my local HD actually looked tougher than these but they had ones like these with thumb, index, and middle finger cut.

The fingure sides are neoprene and will melt. My wife bought me a pair and I returned them once I got a good look at them.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Those look very similar to the IronClad pair I just got, they are pictured on the first page.  I got mine at Menards
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

i stay away from gloves with extra layers on the palms or fingers-dexterity and feel, cut fingers-protection, or fabric between the fingers-cigarette burns.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy cheap, buy twice.
Buy once, cry once

active sale on the EE

I tried ordering from them, and it would not let me get to the check out page. I sent a PM about a week ago and never got a reply. Any other good companies sell em?

Nathan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top