Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2003 1:44:15 PM EDT
I'm thinking of buying an FAL build that's up for sale, but it's got a 17" barrel on it.  I know that with the 5.56 barrels (particularly short ones) you lose a lot of ballistic effect, due to the decreased velocity and whatnot.  I realize that a 17" barrel won't give me the velocity/accuracy of a true 21 incher, but is it still a practical length for 7.62?   I've got a lot of heavy woods in my area, but there are some wide open spaces (farmland) where i'm a bit skeptical as to whether or not the round would perform.  Basically i want a rifle capable of reaching out to man-sized targets at 500-600 rounds effectively.  Thanks for the input
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll be fine with a 17" barrel.  The 7.62x51mm does not depend on absolute velocity like the 5.56mm does to work. There's alot more bullet there to do the job.

I personally prefer a standard 21" barrel, but the 18" is not bad either, and it's easier to handle in thick brush.

The 17" will perform just fine for your intended range out to 500-600 yards, no problem.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#2]
14.5 with a nice brake.....lol.

templar, are you from fal files?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top