Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 11:51:27 AM EDT
I wanted to buy a mp5 clone then i saw the beretta cx4 and changed my mind. Which of these 2 guns are best for combat/defense, hunting varmints, and plinking and is most accurate and has more fire rate?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The words reliable and MP5 clone don't go together.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#2]

For my pistol-caliber carbine fix, I'm getting a Kel-Tec Sub2000 to match my Glock .40.

Half the cost of the Beretta and it folds to boot!

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#3]
berreta=500, mp5 clone at least 1000, for just dicking around the berreta  will serve you well? use the rest on ammo or an eotech or somthing, mp5s are cool but are still too high compared to their big brother the g3, as eidely ised as the mp5 is you would think that they would be in the same price range as the other HK clones but no?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd get a Vector clone in 40S&W.

I don't know why, but I've always disliked shoulder fired weapons that load in the hand grip.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I owned a MP-5 clone and it sucked ( not going to mention the mfg.) I always had problems with the round seating correctly, or parts breaking. I now have a storm and love it. You can almost pimp it out as much as you could an MP-5. THe only thing that bits about the Storm is the lack of Hi-cap mags,other than that it rocks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#6]
The majority of the complaints about the clones you will hear is the people with the SW5s. They really sucked and at the time (Still sometimes) todd had an anger management issue. Luckally, you now have companies like bobcat and vector that are buffers between the clones and todd. I had a small issue with extraction and they sent me a new extraction spring free of charge and offered to inspect the gun I bought new and replace any old parts with new parts. This thing SBRed shoots better than the blow back USC that I own and would bet that it shoots smoother than the beretta. Most of the people that complain about the clones are people like the ones that complain about the 5.7 effectiveness. They have never shot a clone just like the 5.7 people have never shot anything that moves with a weapon much less a 5.7.

Now if you want a plinker then go with the kel tec and if you want a clone go with the bw5 or vector mp5 40/10/357 series. If you have a beretta and lots of mags go with the storm. Other than that $500 is too much to pay for something that is esentually a plastic usi clone with a fixed stock and no muzzle break.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#7]
One thing important worth notting is, the Beretta Storm's cost about a third the price a MP5 clone!
$550-ish versus $1350-ish.  This has to be a big factor for most people.

My thought has always been, unless you plan to get a H&K auto sear, stick with the Beretta for semi shooting.  I think you will be very happy with the Storm.  The only draw back, like the other poster mentioned is, you are stuck with 20 round magazines for the Beretta.  MP5 30 round magazines are the best.  
Maybe the the Beta mags will come out with a Beretta feed tower in the future?

My vote, considering the cost and SW hassle factor, is the Storm.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:59:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I wanted to buy a mp5 clone then i saw the beretta cx4 and changed my mind. Which of these 2 guns are best for combat/defense, hunting varmints, and plinking and is most accurate and has more fire rate?

I do ALOT of hunting and Im just curious, what varmits were you planning on hunting with a carbine in 9mm coons?  Yotes ? Be interested to hear your set up...I usually get em in close with an FX3, but I duno about the 9mm from a Carbine out at 75-100 yards dropping a yote with accuracy etc. just my thoughts but havent tried it, Im thinkin about the new BUSHY for a project to hunt yotes with but it isnt ideal.  I have shot a MP5 and a MP5 clone, I believe it was a Bobcat Weapons clone model, it fired and seemingly was "accurate" enough out to say 15 yards on an IDPA target, however, like I said, the yote is a different story, IF thats what you meant by varmits.  IM "commanderjb"  tell him you heard from me that he has an MP5 clone, he SBR'ed it and loves the damn thing, and he says his functions fine, Id ask around, generally I have heard not so good things about the MFG quality however.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks for your replies. im going to use it for coyotes, rabbits, and squirrels. I feel i should buy the storm. I've found lots of 32 rnd mags for the storm. Ive done more studying about the storm and its purpose suits me best other than the mp5 clones and keltec. I just need a carbine that is challenging to hunt  coyotes. The ak and ar15 or any other high powered rifle is not  fair for the coyotes, thats why Im going for pistol caliber carbines as my new hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Normally I'd say HK (clone) but I haven't bought one yet because alot of people have problems with them.  I'd buy a Storm before a MP-5 Clone, but thats just me...  Now if it was a HK-94, I'd say to hell with the Storm.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:31:34 PM EDT
[#11]
its hard to get a hk94 plus it cost too much. i think its about $4k-$8k. I cant wait to get me a storm.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:11:03 AM EDT
[#12]
CX4
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd go with the storm... For the cost aspect for one.  I have read that at 75 yards, they are pretty damn accurate.  At 25 yards, rapid fire, some people have reported getting around 1" groups.  I wouldn't want to go lobbing 9mm much further than 75 yards, tho.  It IS still a pistol caliber cartridge.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Get the storm.  MP5 clones are cool but as far as reliability goes I wouldn't trust them for shooting a bunny rabbit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:44:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I've owned both. Trigger on the CX4 is horrible, but the gun is accurate and reliable. Worst thing about the MP5 clones is reliability, as many have mentioned above.. If you're fixed on 9mm, have you considered an AR?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Tag, I'm in this same boat!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:39:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll tell you what I ended up with...

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#18]
putfile.com/pic.php?pic=12/35900315110.jpg&s=x12
better image...

I don't have an mp5 or clone, but I can strongly vouch for a storm, especially after I found a hicap for it. Love it to death.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#19]
The Beretta CX4 is a great carabine. I have it in 40 S&W and shot ~1000 rounds with it, zero problems.
Beretta actually owns a record for me. I owned about 10 Beretta firearms overr the last 10 years, and shot in excess of 20K rounds with them, without a single problem. Zero, nada ... hooray Beretta

- Ice
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got a BW5 clone and my best friend has a SW5 clone and we are both very, very happy with ours.  Have never owned a Beretta Storm, but the MP5/MP5 clones are just BAD ASS.

I sold two AR's in 9mm to buy the BW5 and I have ZERO regrets with my decision, it is my favorite gun in the safe.

Just my two pennies . . .
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I don't know why, but I've always disliked shoulder fired weapons that load in the hand grip.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

For the love of God - please do not buy a Cohaie Arms gun!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=9&t=191106
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=9&t=191889
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:31:25 AM EDT
[#22]
CX4, I got one of the first ones released way back when. It was still the ban and I had a ton of hi-cap mags for it in 9mm. It does have a gritty trigger, but it is fun to shoot to 100-150 yds and with an Ultradot and a few factory 20 rounders you can have a lot of fun.

MP5 clones always looked a little stupid with 16" barrels, if I lived in a state where SBR's where legal then they might be fun. I tried one, it was a jammamatic.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

One topic with a guy showing his SW5 as if it had something to do with the Vector guns, and another topic about how you can't use high pressure loads in the 10mm guns?

Sure Toad made some of the parts, but show me any HK94 clone in America that doesn't. We all know about Toad, but Vector is a good company and will bend over back wards long after Todd walks away.

I reccomended the 40S&W due to the fact it seems to be the only one that's worth a shit (commonly fixed with a new extractor). I have faith in Vector, but as I thought before this whole project started, trying to get a MP5 style weapon to run either 10mm or 357SIG is a huge mistake. I've heard from multiple people that 357SIG is not a good round for a SMG due to the necking of the round. 10mm is obviously not meant for a SMG in my opinion.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

One topic with a guy showing his SW5 as if it had something to do with the Vector guns, and another topic about how you can't use high pressure loads in the 10mm guns?

Sure Toad made some of the parts, but show me any HK94 clone in America that doesn't. We all know about Toad, but Vector is a good company and will bend over back wards long after Todd walks away.

I reccomended the 40S&W due to the fact it seems to be the only one that's worth a shit (commonly fixed with a new extractor). I have faith in Vector, but as I thought before this whole project started, trying to get a MP5 style weapon to run either 10mm or 357SIG is a huge mistake. I've heard from multiple people that 357SIG is not a good round for a SMG due to the necking of the round. 10mm is obviously not meant for a SMG in my opinion.

Look closely, that's not a SW5, it's a Vector Cohaire Arms Special Weapons built MP5/10.

Vector does not make these guns, I REPEAT - VECTOR DOES NOT BUILD THESE GUNS!

His case is not the only one where the gun has turned out to be ****!

Read the other thread and you can clearly see Todd is trying to cover his ass while f***ing over whatever customers he had.

A kit built SBR can be constructed from a SW receiver with no SW parts...

I agree with your statement but, the parts do not make his rifles function like they do - it is the poor workmanship and quality control.

What can you do when the weakest part of your gun (Pick a part) constantly has failure after failure?

How are you going mount a claw mount on a out-of-spec receiver?

How are you going to react when the best thing the company can do is send you a bag full of parts when even they can't fix your gun?

What exactly are you going to do when your broken gun no longer has a valid warranty?

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread but, I do not think it is wise to invest any money into a CA MP5/40/10/.357 Sig
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Look closely, that's not a SW5, it's a Vector Cohaire Arms Special Weapons built MP5/10.

Vector does not make these guns, I REPEAT - VECTOR DOES NOT BUILD THESE GUNS!

His case is not the only one where the gun has turned out to be ****!

Read the other thread and you can clearly see Todd is trying to cover his ass while f***ing over whatever customers he had.

A kit built SBR can be constructed from a SW receiver with no SW parts...

I agree with your statement but, the parts do not make his rifles function like they do - it is the poor workmanship and quality control.

What can you do when the weakest part of your gun (Pick a part) constantly has failure after failure?

How are you going mount a claw mount on a out-of-spec receiver?

How are you going to react when the best thing the company can do is send you a bag full of parts when even they can't fix your gun?

What exactly are you going to do when your broken gun no longer has a valid warranty?

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread but, I do not think it is wise to invest any money into a CA MP5/40/10/.357 Sig

Again, it seems that buying a MP5/HK94 in 10mm is a mistake. I thought it was a cool concept when I first heard about it, but knew instantly that it would present many problems. I have no arguement against 10mm based MP5/HK94's as I think it was a bad idea reguardless of what quality did, or didn't go into them.

Most of the 10mm guns are having somepretty big problems. Again, I think even standard 10mm loads are pushing it in the MP5/HK94.

The SBR route is the best option available. Getting rid of the US parts count is a blessing. I have also heard rumors that Vector is wanting to assemble these guns themselves. I also heard talks about Vector making their own parts in the future, but there is absolutely no backing to this.

It appears that they had a problem with the extractors, but are now fixing it. Again, this is just one problem on the 40S&W, and I wouldn't consider either the 10mm or the 357SIG myself. The 40S&W seems to be getting the best ratings thus far.

The best clone option still seems to be a SBR'ed and reworked clone by a reputable builder. However, at that point you're pushing into the real HK94 price market.

I myself would rather have a HK94/MP5 clone then a Storm. A pistol caliber carbine would not be my choice for a primary firearm, so I'd rather tinker with a clone then to get a Storm.

I myself probably won't buy either anytime soon. I'd build a pistol caliber AR long before I'd give either a second glance. Better ergonomics, more modular, better mags then a storm, better accuracy (RRA guarantess 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards), and rock solid reliability.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's something to ask yourself.... can you use the mags from an MP5 clone in a HK pistol?

You can with a Storm.

Is the MP5 ambidextrous?

The Storm is.

Can you change anything with the Storm, like the stock or the handguards?

The MP5 can.

Personally if I had to choose, I'd go with the Storm, but it's still kind of ugly.

Disclaimer: I own neither. Haven't shot a Storm. Have shot a real MP5. Wasn't all that impressed with it, as with most HK weapons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top