Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2005 1:33:11 PM EDT
just got mine and it needs toys.. has anyone used the gg&g single point sling with the collapsable stock..?  how about the flashlight mounting rails from surefire (m80) or the sidearmor rail system to add a light..?? and last but not least i hear about a way to increase your capacity by one round by allowing a shell to sit on the lifter.. anyone know how to do this..?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#1]
No....but let me kow when you get all that stuff on it and the extra round thing figured out so I can go out and dirty it up for ya!!

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#2]
You're lucky to have found one. They're aparantly pretty rare these days. Which model did you get?
Is it the fake collapsible stock, or did  you install a real one?
Does it accept chokes?
Does it have an American flag on the side of it?

One concern with using a single point sling is the weight of the M4. It is significantly heavier then a typical shotgun. Because of this, I opted to go with a 3 point sling mount from Specter Gear. I used a quick detach sling loop for the front to ease disassembly for cleaning. I got it from Sidearmor, and it mounts to a picatinny rail.
My forward rail system is a Sidearmor unit without the extended top rail. Its basically a fancy barrel clamp and does very well actually. I have yet to see the Surefire M80 rail system. I don't know what the hold up is on it.
Mesa Tactical is in the works for a 4 point rail system. There is a long running thread about it over at the Benelli forum. I have a portion of it that I'm testing. I have the extended top rail that doubles as a shell carrier.
I also have a shell carrier on the butt stock from specter gear. I'm considering removing them all though due to the added weight.

For the past year, I've been using a 12mw visible green laser on the M4 mounted in some custom ARMS #22 scope rings on the Sidearmor rail. Massively destructive. I modified the stock handguards to accept zipties to mount the tape switch under my supporting hand thumb.

I have an EOTech 552 mounted on top. I'd look into the new one that uses 123a batteries instead.

I used GG&G oversized charging handle and bolt release also. Both are definately worth the price.

I have the extended magazine tube on mine as well.

To get that extra round onto the top of the elevator is a pain. First, put a round in the chamber. Then top off the magazine tube. Then insert a round on top of the elevator. Now, you have to depress the bolt release and hold the bolt back and slowly guide the bolt closed. You then have to press the round and the elevator down while it closes to prevent it from trying to chamber it.  Keep the shell pressed as far as possible to the rear of the elevator to prevent misfeeds. It is a royal PITA to do this IMO. However, some people put 3" shells in the chamber and on the elevator, then 2 3/4 in the tube. That way they don't loose any capacity. Basically with this setup, and the extended mag tube, you'll have 9 rounds on tap.

Here is mine:

-Steve
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
just got mine and it needs toys.. has anyone used the gg&g single point sling with the collapsable stock..?  how about the flashlight mounting rails from surefire (m80) or the sidearmor rail system to add a light..?? and last but not least i hear about a way to increase your capacity by one round by allowing a shell to sit on the lifter.. anyone know how to do this..?

Spoke to GG$G their mount wont work on th M4
My last call to surefire about the M80 rail system (last week) they still have no date for release

I'm going to wait for SF and put on a light and vertical grip
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Any sling ideas for those of us not using the collapsable stock?  I don't care for that stock (although I do have one).
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Still in the shop getting the barrel upgrade.  How was yours?  Did it have the "low recoil"markings?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#6]
NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE LOW RECOIL MARKINGS... WHAT ARE THEY AND WHERE CAN I LOCATE THEM..???  I FIRED APPROX  50 ROUNDS OF LOW BRASS #8 CHEAP BIRD LOAD, 100 ROUNDS OF FEDERAL TACTICAL 00 BUCK (LOW RECOIL) AND 20 ROUNDS OF FEDERAL 000 BUCK 3" MAGNUMS THROUGH IT AND IT RAN EVERYTHING 100% IT WAS ON AN INDOOR RANGE SO I DIDN'T RUN ANY DRILLS WITH IT BUT I PLAN TO SOON.  I THINK I'LL WAIT TILL THE SHOT SHOW TO DETERMINE WHICH RAIL TO GO WITH BUT I'M LEANING TOWARD THE SIDEARMOR... BRUGGER AND THOMET MAKE A REPLACEMENT HANDGUARD RAIL THAT LOOKS COOL TOO... I JUST NEED A SINGLE POINT SLING ATTACHMENT AND I'M GOLDEN...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#7]
STEVENB..... THANKS FOR THE COOL PIC... CAN YOU PUT ONE OF THE OTHER SIDE OF THE GUN ON HERE..????? I THINK I MAY USE YOUR MODIFICATION IDEA FOR THE HANDGUARD TO AFFIX MY SUREFIRE PRESSURE PAD AFTER I CHOOSE A RAIL....
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:04:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Stop shouting.  (caps lock)
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
...BRUGGER AND THOMET MAKE A REPLACEMENT HANDGUARD RAIL THAT LOOKS COOL TOO...

Someone here tested it and said that it sucked.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#10]
You can look on the outside of the barrel, near the breech end.  If the words "Low Recoil" appear there, you have one of the original barrels with 4 gas ports.

The newer barrels are minus the stamp, and have 2 gas ports vs. 4 - you can open the breech, and shine a light into the muzzle end of the barrel to check this visually, if you see 4 holes in the breech end, it's a low recoil barrel.  2 holes = "regular"...

Supposedly, the 4 gas ports allow the weapon to cycle low recoil tactical and similar loads reliably - at the expense of bolt/bolt carrier failures.  

I have a Low Recoil barrel on my M4, with more than 1000 rounds through it now - it hasn't even had a hiccup.  One school of thought suggests there were metallurgical defects in some of the early bolt carriers, and that 4 gas ports caused the bolt carrier to fracture.

Replacing the barrel with a 2-port version (which Benelli will do under warranty) supposedly avoids the problem.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You can look on the outside of the barrel, near the breech end.  If the words "Low Recoil" appear there, you have one of the original barrels with 4 gas ports.

The newer barrels are minus the stamp, and have 2 gas ports vs. 4 - you can open the breech, and shine a light into the muzzle end of the barrel to check this visually, if you see 4 holes in the breech end, it's a low recoil barrel.  2 holes = "regular"...

Supposedly, the 4 gas ports allow the weapon to cycle low recoil tactical and similar loads reliably - at the expense of bolt/bolt carrier failures.

You're backwards there.

The older barrels that worked well have 2 ports; the newer low recoil barrels that have had problems have 4 ports.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#12]
More pictures as requested:

-Steve
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#13]
What kind of side saddle?

I need one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#14]
The shell carrier is a Mesa Tactical prototype. It's the only one worth owning for the M4. The Tacstar one is a POS. This one doesn't interfere with the disassembly of the weapon.

I'm not sure when they plan on releasing this product, you'd have to hunt down Mitch.
-Steve
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I picked up my #11707's yesterday, S/P 14 months of waiting.  Definitely worth the wait.  Both have the 2-port bbl., & are threaded for choke swapping.  They are relatively heavy compared to other SG's, though stout.  Hands-down, it's the nicest SG I've ever handled or owned.

I'm pondering what the weight of the Mesa rail will be.  I definitely like the stock handguards, so I'm hoping they can figure out some way to work w/ them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top