Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2008 3:15:36 AM EST
Ok - so i'm new to this (and admittedly a little nervous). I figured what the hell, i'll krylon my lower receiver - everybody's doing it. I plan on doing the whole kit (reciever, stock, grip, etc).

What prep (if any) do i need to do? What areas do i need to tape off (presumably the internals)? Is there FAQ thread on this somewhere?

Since it's krylon, i'm guessing that it doesn't need to be a precision operation. Just degrease the lower, tape off certain sections, spray (?). Am i missing anything?

Thanks for any and all help.
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 4:23:59 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 4:30:56 AM EST
cool - thx. i didn't know if there were any process differances between krylon and duracoat (which is what he used - right?).
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 4:47:37 AM EST
Its all about prep and the amount of time you spend on it. You will get chipping on/around the take down pins if you leave them in and in the down position when painting it. I taped off the top of the lower receiver and the trigger. Also the threads for the buffer tube. Same goes for the upper receiver with the addition of the forward assist. Ive sprayed them complete and apart and to me doing them complete makes more sense but may not last as long. But thats why krylon is great(just shoot it again)
Link Posted: 8/18/2008 3:34:51 AM EST
Degrease with non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

Let dry.

Apply Krylon.

Good on you for treating your firearm like the tool it is. Too many people are terrified of taking paint to their "status symbol".

Be advised, however, that krylon does have an IR signature. If you're going up against NV-equipped Umbrella agents in the near future use Bowflage instead.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 3:50:05 PM EST

Originally Posted By Evil_ATF:

Let dry.

Apply Krylon.

Good on you for treating your firearm like the tool it is. Too many people are terrified of taking paint to their "status symbol".

Be advised, however, that krylon does have an IR signature. If you're going up against NV-equipped Umbrella agents in the near future use Bowflage instead.

not sure what you mean by "signature." does it reflect IR? Seems like it shouldn't reflect anymore than any other paint?
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 9:06:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/2/2008 9:08:27 AM EST by Evil_ATF]

Originally Posted By FordGuy:

Originally Posted By Evil_ATF:

Let dry.

Apply Krylon.

not sure what you mean by "signature." does it reflect IR? Seems like it shouldn't reflect anymore than any other paint?

I'm no NV guru, so perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology.

In laymans terms I have found that when viewed through a PVS-14 a rifle painted with krylon tends to "glow" whereas a rifle painted with Bowflage does not.

ETA:
Same goes for the untreated fastex buckles on your kit. Cover them up with Bowflage.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 4:48:14 AM EST
Have you looked at other coatings through NV's? Wondering if Duracoat and others have signature similar to Krylon.
Top Top