Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2002 1:06:18 PM EDT
Is it OK too bargain for used guns at the gun stores? I want a sks rifle and over the internet the going price seems too be about $150-200 for the yugo's but the local gunstores has them for around $320 I would pay up too about $275 just too do buy locally but anymore than that I just feel like I am getting ripped off.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Bargain away.  Especially if the people at your gun store know you.

The guys at my FFL know me so well that they often extend the 90 layaway plan to 120 days for me.  I get discounts on ammo, guns, cases, whatever.

I'm also about to buy a safe from them.

So, give it a shot.  They might get a little offended, but if they do, then they prolly shouldn't be in business.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Bargaining is acceptable if you're buying (tire kickers need to hit the road). Better yet, why not get a C&R and then you can receive Russian SKSs directly at your house?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with brouhaha, I don't mind paying $75-$100 more at my local.  I fugure $20-25 would go to a transfer fee anyway, and I would rather keep my local gunshop in business.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I wouldn't mind paying 100 bucks more but on a 150 dollar gun???? I am going to be paying over double at the local shop, I think I will offer 250 cash, and go from there.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#5]
You never know unless you give it a try. My range/FFL doesn't move alot on his use gun prices but atomatically give all range members 5% off on all used guns. On the other hand the store I usually endup buying most of my toys gladly barters b/c they rape people that are selling used guns. You just have to ask most shop owners are pretty layed back and if they rub you the wronge way just walk out. Their loss.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I've found that the best way to buy used guns is to look in the paper.  if you find the gun you want call the guy up tell him how mutch you want to pay for it and if he says no then there are no hard feelings.  Though I always leave my phone # incase he has a hard time selling it and desides to sell it for my price.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I have learned with used guns to never pay them the asking price, unless you absolutley can't live without it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Become educated then offer them a fair price. Most dealers will accept a fair price while others are firm with their price.

Their SKS price does look to be very high, check gunbroker.com. You could probably get one there and even after paying a dealer for the transfer you will still probably save a few bucks. Or better yet, purchase through the newspaper to save even more money and you get to view the item first.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I know a dealer that marks everything high and expects to be talked down.  If a customer doesn't try than I guess it is his/her own fault.

On one deal I talked him down $150, then he took another $50 off the price because he knows me and knows I'll be back.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Why not bypass the overpriced dealer altogether & go to a gun show & shop around? I don't begrudge a dealer a bit of profit but he won't make his boat payment off of my sale alone if I can help it.  >gg<
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Why not bypass the overpriced dealer altogether & go to a gun show & shop around? I don't begrudge a dealer a bit of profit but he won't make his boat payment off of my sale alone if I can help it.  >gg<

Is it still possible to get a deal at a gun show any more?  Here it is a bunch of guys either showing off their collections, selling junk (knives, beanie babies, unidentified parts), or asking 150% of retail.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it still possible to get a deal at a gun show any more?  Here it is a bunch of guys either showing off their collections, selling junk (knives, beanie babies, unidentified parts), or asking 150% of retail.

no shit, i just go to gunshows to sell stuff to dealers that i bought off the equip exchange or internet.
last month i bought a mini14 factory 20rounder for 65.00, sold it to a gunshow dealer for 100.00 and then turned around and bought 6 new USGIs off the internet.
result:
65.00 investment= 200.00 worth of mags+over 100.00 profit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I want a sks rifle and over the internet the going price seems too be about $150-200 for the yugo's but the local gunstores has them for around $320

If I was you, I'd print out an internet ad, take it to your local gun store, and ask them if they want to match the price in the ad. If they know you are aware of their competition, they are more likely to lower their price for you; they can lower it and still make some profit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Here are some things I've learned about my local gun store:

1) common used guns (SKS, AKs, ARs, Glocks, etc.) are usually sold within $50 of the listings for the gun's quality in my dealer's price guide whereas he will price "rare" pieces at full retail (pre-bans, specialty guns, .50 cals).

2) I would rather buy a gun that I can hold in my hands and visually inspect at a higher price than a "mystery" gun sold sight unseen over the internet, gunbroker, or shotgun news.

3) Get to know the gunstore owner. If you become a common sight in his shop he is more likely to give you sweatheart deals or even hold pieces for you that he thinks you'd buy. History between buyer and seller makes for better transactions.

4) Gunshows are (in my opinion) a buyer's worst nightmare. Most shows I attend are flooded with dealers who own stores and are trying to unload old pieces that no-one wants or "shelf jockeys" that just don't sell. These same dealers usually employ the "don't come home with more than you brought" philosophy and thus give bupkis on trades, prefering to deal in cash.

and the last (which has meaning on this string):

5) guns seen in the shotgun news and on the internet at ridiculous prices have some hidden catch. I see prices all the time screaming "SKS rifle! $150!", but you read the print only to discover that the price is for lots of 10 or more in fair to good (at best) condition (which for the uninitiated means that the gun is functional... and that's about it) and is only available to dealers or C&R holders. A shiny, high quality excellent condition SKS goes for around $250 and with the transfer fee and shipping, along with the hassle of getting a money order or the 3% credit sircharge, becomes about the same price as the one at the local gun shop that looks exactly alike. Chances could even be that one at the gun shop is from the shotgun news and the owner added his expenses to it plus his "profit percentage" which gives you his price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top