Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/26/2002 2:20:37 PM EDT
Been craving something new and fun, this looks like the ticket.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 2:47:28 PM EDT
you do realise its classified as a DD, and will be hard to obtain.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 4:40:46 PM EDT
We have a couple on my job , they are a blast to shoot , they are actually easy to control on full auto.

The magazines alone make a good converstation piece.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 4:55:26 PM EDT
I know a local gentleman who has one. It is now classified as a destructive device, as Mattsd said. He has quite a few mags for it also. I think he said that only 1000 were made (his is #8**).
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:15:11 PM EDT
i think longmountain outfitters has some?

any one have there website adress?

pic up a copy of Small Arms Review and look in there adds also you could post a WTB post on subguns.com

they can help u immensly

just make your state allows Destrucive Devices

btw there will be a 200 tax stamp required on it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:21:51 PM EDT
There is one that is eternally posted at gunbroker.com. I guess the guys asking price is too high.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:05:27 PM EDT
one reason these dont go like gangbusters is DD is pretty restrictive, and the cost to be a DD dealer is HUGE, so they are few and far between
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:16:05 AM EDT
If I am not mistaken I thought that DD's and AOW's were a $5 tax stamp. $200 was on transferable class 3's.

Link Posted: 5/27/2002 10:59:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/27/2002 11:02:27 AM EDT by prebans]

Originally Posted By M700-308:
If I am not mistaken I thought that DD's and AOW's were a $5 tax stamp. $200 was on transferable class 3's.


Partially correct.  It's $5.00 tax for an AOW and $200.00 for anything else.

Regretfully, the USAS-12 was ruled to be a "Destructive Device."  Thus, it's a $200.00 tax.

Incidentally, it's relatively easy to get one, and you DON'T need a DD dealer.  Like a SBR or a SBS, you can remove the features that make it NFA and request that it be pulled from the registry.  Thus, the receiver becomes a normal Title I weapon.  Got a SBR and want it non-papered?  Put a 16"+ barrel on it and make sure that the gun is now over 26".  Got a SBS and want it unpapered?  Do as above but make sure the barrel is 18".

In the case of the USAS-12, you need to remove the barrel and get rid of it.  (Give it away, etc.)  Then, you may unregister what's left.  Then it's just a Title I gun.  The next step is to apply to "make" a DD.  Once you get approval and pay the $200, go ahead and put the barrel back on.

In the case of the Streetsweeper and Striker, you need to remove the barrel AND cylinder.

This is useful when you can't find a DD dealer.

*****This information came from the folks at Urban Armory.  They've done this before to sell someone one of these shotguns when there's no DD dealer.  I also think that there's an ATF letter about this that was published in a back issue of Small Arms Review and/or is at Bardwell's site.  

Incidentally, Lakeside Machine [see www.lakesideguns.com for more info] has 1-2 in stock.  From what Eric (the owner) tells me, they're heavy, bulky, and you need HOT ammo to get them to cycle properly.

Link Posted: 5/27/2002 3:23:35 PM EDT
I fired one a few years ago.  It is way too heavy for me to have any interest in it, even without having to deal with the DD paperwork.
Top Top