Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2009 1:09:49 PM EDT
gah, I got this thing recently, gonna use it for the first time today and the damn thing won't hold a zero

i zero it in, put in the little 30g weight, it reads 30.01, then the 20g goes in...50.02 ARGGGG

take them out and i'm left with either -0.01 and -0.02

tried it in multiple outlets, etc.

looks like i'm gonna have to send the damn thing back.

-and yes it has been calibrated to spec from the instructions included-
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds pretty close  
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Never used one but a friend has just ordered one.

Is 1/100 of a grain really something that should be considered out of tolerance?
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC accuracy is to 0.1gr, I've not had any major problems with mine. yes, there is a little drift, that is the price you pay for tyhe convience of a electronic scale. I've used lab electronic balances that measured to 0.000x gram were housed in their own little glass housings, there was still drift.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
gah, I got this thing recently, gonna use it for the first time today and the damn thing won't hold a zero

i zero it in, put in the little 30g weight, it reads 30.01, then the 20g goes in...50.02 ARGGGG

take them out and i'm left with either -0.01 and -0.02

tried it in multiple outlets, etc.

looks like i'm gonna have to send the damn thing back.

-and yes it has been calibrated to spec from the instructions included-

Call RCBS first, and hear what they say.

My beam RCBS scale is good to .1 grain. Worked just fine for 30+ years.

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one.  I helps if you let it warm up for about 10 minutes before you calibrate it.

I've been loading 30-06 ammo for my Garands.  I re-zero my scale after each 5 measurements.  It's a bit of pain but I'd rather be cautious than risk injuring the finest battle implement ever devised.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Turn it on, and go to bed.  Try it tomorrow.  I bet it will hold a zero just fine.  Never turn it off.  Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Rarely, mine seems to hiccup and I need to go through the calibration setup again.  But I’ve never had serious difficulties in getting it calibrated.

Suggestions:

Make sure the stable arrow is on for maybe 3 or 4 seconds before proceeding to the next step.  In theory you should be good to go the instant it comes on, but that hasn’t been my experience.

Let the unit warm up.   I’ve never had a problem with this, but other folks have.

Keep the unit away from air currents (even slight ones) and fluorescent lights.

Try to locate the two weights on the plastic weighting pad (or whatever it’s called) so that the total weight is as evenly balanced as possible on that pad.  A bit too much weight off to the side seems to cause a tipping action and a slight inaccuracy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:10:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine did the same thing when I first fired it up. I let it stay plugged in an warm up a while and it seems fine now. I did call RCBS about it not going back to zero after weighing a charge, they said to just hit the zero button, no need to recalibrate after doing it at the start of the session, so it's pretty simple to just hit zero when it drifts.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top