Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2002 11:26:13 AM EDT
I'd like to have a bit of a 'beater'-but- accurate bolt gun. Thinking of a cheapie Savage 20" Tac just for sh*ts & giggles (since I have a 700PSS and 700LTR in .308).

I'm aware of the trigger & stock issues - those can be addressed cheaply.  Everyone seems to praise these Savages as tack drivers. But I've heard some stories about bolt problems w/bad ammo, etc. - something about their bolt design worse than Remmy?  

Thanks for any info from RKIs...

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Link Posted: 10/15/2002 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean, other than everyone who has/wants a short action still calls it a 110FP and not 10FP? hatYou looking at the 10FP-LE1?  Pretty nice looking.
Honestly though, you will be paying near the price of your Remmy for a Savage, stock and trigger.  Nothing wrong with that.  I'll be doing it soon.  Mine'll be an FLP, though.
I've heard of people reinforcing the forend with stuff like push rods, etc. on the issue stock.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 3:42:25 AM EDT
[#2]
The flex in the stock appears to be between the bolts of the action, at least on my 110.  I set mine on my work bench and pressed on the stock to see where it might be flexing, and the walls of the stock bowed at about the magazine well. I didn't reef on it, just applied a little pressure till I saw the tiniest bit of flexion and thats where mine flexed.  I had thought about reenforcing the forearm, even bought an expensive piece of aluminum tubing and some JB weld.  In the end if the flex is between the stock screws of the action, reenforcing the forearm didn't seem like a good idea to me if the flex is somewhere else.   Hope this helps someone.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2002 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I've owned three savages and two of them were the older long action tacticals.  I also own two remington 700's.  I still own a tactical in 308 win and it shoots better out of the box than either of the remingtons.  Throw the factory trigger as far as you can and purchase the trig available from Sharpshooter.  It's less than 100 bucks and it's the trigger used by Savage in their upgraded models.  Sharpshooter supply is out in Ohio and he can fix you up, he specializes in Savage.  I had him cut and crown to 20 inches the tactical model I have.  I purchased the trigger from them and installed myself.  I have it set at one pound and one-quarter. I realize this part of the world is remington country, but the 110 has legendary accuracy.

Sharpshooter also sell Douglas and does barrel fluting
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen extractors (two) fail and eject completely (lost) from the bolt.  However, they appear to be accurate and the price is right.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is some info on the action...

www.steyrscout.org/savscout.htm
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 112 bvss, similar gun.  Can't say enough good things about it, though I'll admit I had the trigger worked over.  I only wish I could afford a scope worthy of it.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Any recommendations for a good synthetic stock for such a Savage 'Tac' rifle?

Doesn't have to be HS Precision but shouldn't be rickety, touch the barrel, etc.

-Bill
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Any recommendations for a good synthetic stock for such a Savage 'Tac' rifle?

Doesn't have to be HS Precision but shouldn't be rickety, touch the barrel, etc.

-Bill

You have a few different options, Fred Moreo of SSS sells a few different styles from thumbholes to flat bottomed BR and also regular style synthetic stocks.

Choate also has the Ultimate Sniper and Varmint stocks. I have heard reports that the Varmint stock has better features.

D&B supply also offers Savage drop in stocks.

Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#9]
check with Cabelas sporting they have a synthetic stock for the 11O, I believe its made by Bell and Carlson.  Also check with Sharpshooter supply they offer synthetics for the savage in various stages of completion and will install for you. The stock advertised in the Cabelas catalog has pillars in it and is less than a 100 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Does Sharpshooter Supply have an active website?

Looked around, no luck...

Thanks,
Bill
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not sure if sharpshooter has a web site or not.  I have a catalog of theirs at my house but I'm hanging at my girlfriends tonight or I'd get off my duff and get it for you.  They sell their products at Brownell's you might want to give them a call and I'm sure they would give you their number.  They are located in Delphos, Ohio. They sell savage parts, Douglas barrels, stocks and do gunsmithing as well.  They also sell a barrel wrench for removing the jam nut on the barrel. Pleasure doing business with them prompt professinal and very fast turnaround.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Does Sharpshooter Supply have an active website?

Looked around, no luck...

Thanks,
Bill

www.varminthunters.com/sshooter/

You best bet is to call them or Email and ask for a catalog.

Phone is 419-695-3179
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 20" 10FP in .308 & have has zero problems with it.

Link Posted: 10/21/2002 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#14]
On lighter barreled guns such as what typically comes on a Savage, a little pressure at the end of the forearm on the barrel usually helps make them more accurate.  This is what I have read, and mine touches the barrel right at the end of the forearm, thus far I have shot a .6, and several .75 inch patterns at 100yds with hand loads from a 7mm.  

For me, it just takes a little time to learn the little details on how my individual gun operates.  I hope I have not given the impression that I don't care for my Savage, it shoots just fine.  However there are little things one needs to know to shoot it well.  Figuring out how to use the tool with all its plusses and minuses uis half the battle of performing well with it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#15]
The Savage 10 is a great rifle.  However, the stock is horrible if you want a purely accurate rifle.  It flexes in areas that are not fixable, at least not easily.  I was shooting around an inch and a half with top quality handloads (and had to work hard to get that good).  The stock is too light in the back end so it really kicks too hard.  I was tending to get a nasty flinch after shooting about 20 rounds.  I replaced the stock with a Choate Varmint synthetic.  Love it.  I was shooting factory soft point hunting ammo the other day and easily shot an inch and a half MOA.  This ammo isn't really a tack driver but it was all I had.  I still have to get used to the stock and I haven't had the opportunity to try working up a reload.  I also want to try some forend pressure on the barrel and see what happens.  Shoots much better with the Choate stock.  Also the recoil is drastically reduced.  I think is is partly the weight of the stock and partly the fact that the pistol grip helps reduce the recoil on my shoulder.  The stock weighs about 4 lbs.  I paid $135.00 for it.  Good investment to improve a great rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top