Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 5/2/2010 12:59:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/10/2010 7:29:29 PM EDT by ryanwilson1979]
I have checked out a lot of kits online........most of them are for bucket type "tanks". I want to start doing whole barrels for rifles and shotguns. I need to be able to do at least 26" lone to handle shotgun barrels.........maybe even 29" to cover 99% of any that would be done. Most will be shorter than 27".............The rifle barrels will almost all be under 21" ie-10/22s and ARs....
I am most interested in nickle plating or anodizing, I know there are a lot of options out there. I just want the one that will work best for this option.
I will also do AR recievers, 10/22 recievers and a ton of small parts.
Any advice on which kits could be used for a "tank" that is 3"x29"x3" give or take whatever it needs to fit a single barrel, would be most helpful.

Has anyone out here done any barrels? I see pistol stuff on here all the time, and magazines, and lower parts kits done but nothing as large as what I am talking about.
Help please!
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 6:21:36 AM EDT
looks like I am going to have to check with the man. for information on this................I hate doing that, mostly because they are trying to SELL something and it may not be the best for me.
PLEASE help if you can on this. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 4:24:14 PM EDT
lol not a lot of help here this time. Maybe I can get in touch with some MFGs and see what the deal is................
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 9:39:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2010 9:40:49 PM EDT by DarkEarth]
Originally Posted By ryanwilson1979:
Has anyone out here done any barrels? I see pistol stuff on here all the time, and magazines, and lower parts kits done but nothing as large as what I am talking about.
Help please!

I will venture to say that the lack of response is due to the lack of feasability.

What the heck do you want to electroplate a long barrel for?   Im sure its out there but how rare is a nickel plated long barrel?

You sure as heck will NEVER annodize a long barrel.  Being that they are made of steel and you cant annodize steel.   However feel free to walk around with a nickel plated long barreled gun  Outside of some very special shotguns and maybe some ancient lever action rifles, you wont find many.   And if you do have those relics it would be blasphemy to refinish them.

Now about annodizing Lowers, Uppers, Handguards, 10/22 rcvrs, Pins, Trigger guards, tripods,scope bodies etc.   Have at it.  But you only need a bucket annodize system for that.

Steel barrels traditionally get Blued, Parkerized, Blasted, Polished and nowadays painted.   You put steel into a charged annodizing solution and you get paperweights at best
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:09:53 PM EDT
Plating Onto Iron or Steel With Nickel

Nickel will plate directly onto Iron or Steel. Use either our:

* Nickel Plating Kit (traditional system, requires power source)
   * Electroless Nickel Kit (no power source needed)
   * Plug N' Plate™ Nickel Kit (brush plating for small items)

Copyright © 2003 Caswell Inc.

Maybe I will just talk to them instead. lol

And NO I have not seen many or any long guns with nickle..............Just chrome, and stainless, silver paint, gray/silver duracoat etc...............I have a friend that uses an 870 SBS for entry work, and the finish on his allweather barrel gave me the idea. Reciever was a marine model. I love that gun. I want to experiment with that type of look,  bead blasting it to make it look satin, then maybe applying over copper, then put on nickle, then put on a show chrome like on the web site for a show chrome or "triple chrome" finish.  I know that it is not for hunting or sneaking up on bad guys, but I do think that SOME people would want to have it done......pretty cool to see what an M4 with all nickle set up would be like. :)
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 8:41:24 AM EDT
got customer support online right now from caswell's and they say that rater than buy a special tank, I should use a PVC pipe and put ends on it!!! That way I don't have to use much mix!!!!!
Now we are getting someplace!
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 8:56:16 AM EDT
I was able to get info on this from the live customer help offered at the casswell's site...........it is all very doable and pretty easy, and inexpensive to boot. Like any other thing, the end result depends on who much effort you put into the beginning with prep work................here is some info from the site, that has helped me a little bit.

Electroless nickel plating requires no anodes, power supply or electrical connection of any kind. The process simply entails mixing together some solutions, heating them to just off the boil, and then immersing the part to be plated. An auto catalytic electrochemical reaction takes place and the nickel is evenly deposited all over the part being plated. The thickness of the plate will depend on the duration of immersion. To stop the reaction, remove the part from the solution.

Like all plating, the brightness of the plate depends on the brightness of the part before plating. The brighter the shine initially, the brighter the shine after plating. Numerous variations of the final finish are achieved by changing the surface preparation.

Electroless nickel plating is not new; it has many applications in industry. Because the system plates evenly over all areas of the part, even down tubes and holes, it is frequently used to plate firearms and small hand tools. For the motorcycle restoration enthusiast, electroless nickel is a great tool for evenly plating the air cooling fins on many engine blocks, particularly older Indians & Harleys.

Electroless nickel plates at an approx. rate of 1 mil (1/1000") per hour. Indoor decorative applications will need approx. 0.25 mil or 15 min. of plating. General outdoor items (hand tools, hand guns) should receive 0.5 mils or 30 min. Items requiring high corrosion resistance should receive 1 mils or 60 min.

As the baths are used, nickel depletes from the solution. You will need to replenish this periodically, using our unique method of calculating the nickel loss. Additions to the solution may be made with small quantities of Part A & Part C.

This system will NOT plate pot metal. We sell an Electroless Pot Metal Primer for this purpose. This system will plate aluminum if the metal is primed with Zincate first.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 8:58:35 AM EDT
the only suggestion I was given to improve results was to use an agitator so that bubbles did not get stuck on/in the barrel. They make a small air pump to keep the water moving. Looks just like a fish tank pump. However, it comes in a complete kit and is $7.99..............I can't bitch too much about $8 bucks. lol
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 10:16:48 AM EDT
Metallurgist checking in...

If you want the simplest way to put nickel on a barrel OD you should check into brush plating:
Sifco
This technique does require some skill on your part.  Practice on some scrap first.  With an OD of a barrel, probably your best bet would be to chuck it into a lathe and SLOWLY rotate the thing while you work on it.

For electroless nickel - you have other problems to consider.  How will you mask the ID?  After all, you don't want to be closing up the bore, do you?  Maskants for electroless nickel plating solutions are highly specialized and not to be found at Lowe's.  Also, plating rate depends on which solution you use.  The one I am most familiar with deposits between 0.4-0.5 mils per hour.  You also need to consider which phosphorus level you want; low, medium or high.  Higher phosphorus gives greater coating hardness but lower corrosion resistance.

But all of this pre-supposes good surface prep.  You need to THOROUGHLY degrease the surface.  THOROUGHLY.  Grit blasting with a fine grit  aluminum oxide (say 220#) is also a good idea.  For electroless nickel you also need to do some activating of the steel surface.  Different alloys use different solutions, which can range from hot-soapy water to hydrofluoric acid (a safety nightmare of the first order).  And while the plating solution might not need current you can bet that the activating solutions will require application of current (excepting possibly the hydrochloric acid choice, though it is viewed as a marginal option for 4000-series low alloy steels).

In summary - brush plating is what you want to do.  Really.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 10:51:46 AM EDT
awesome. I am checking the site out now. How much do you think it would be to get set up to do this? I am having a hard time finding prices on this site. I will only be doing a few guns a month and don't need a massive commercial setup.
Link Posted: 5/10/2010 7:28:25 PM EDT
any help?
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 7:27:48 PM EDT
ideas? anything?
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 10:13:56 PM EDT
still not a reality as of yet..........  
Top Top