Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2002 10:24:16 AM EDT
Hilarious!

http://web.thestate.com/content/columbia/2002/01/08/opletter/warsawweb08.htm

Letters to the editor
'State' needs to make sure gun facts correct
The incident that prompted The State's recent interest in turkey shoots involved a 20-year-old with a handgun. Last time I checked, it was still illegal for anyone under 21 to possess a handgun. How will imposing new regulations on legal turkey shoots dissuade under-age people from violating laws already on the books?

And speaking of stories in The State, I see that a Horry County deputy was killed while trying to break up a domestic dispute. I won't comment on what should be done with the shooter, but I'm really curious about the gun used. You report a .45 mm handgun. By my desktop calculator, that comes out to about .0175 caliber, which sounds very small. But maybe The State slipped in an extra decimal point, and the gun was actually a 45 mm. That works out to 1.755 caliber, which sounds very large. At times like this, I wish I knew more about guns and didn't have to rely on your experts. Could this be yet another error in reporting on firearms issues?

The obvious solution is a five-day wait or "cooling off period" between the time your reporter prepares a story and when it may be published. This reasonable restriction would allow facts to be verified by a federal agency (such as the Newspaper and Information Confirmation Service). A brief delay wouldn't interfere with anybody's rights but would make sure that people exercise their rights in a responsible manner. I'm confident the media would go along with my proposal. They like it for the Second Amendment; why not for the First?

JOHN K. WARSAW
Lexington

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent letter. I'd also give some credit to the paper for printing it.

Thanks for the post.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it.  "Journalists" will have to get a background check before publishing any article.  Articles that are designed to spread lies and twist facts will require a $200 federal tax stamp, not to mention fingerprinting, confusing regulations, and waiting until some beaurocrat gets around to reviewing the case.  Been done for the 2nd...

SB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top