Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2009 7:35:32 PM EDT
Gents-I bought this from craigslist for $100-the gentleman had no idea what it was other than it was an Enfield. I know its a Santa Fe fake, but i have a couple of questions-Namely, since this is not a No.5, what is it? There are no markings on the barrel band.(see picture 3) Did Santa Fe contract the barrels, or are they cut down from real enfield?

First I wiped down the stock using BLO-i think it turned out pretty well. It has the 1300m sight

I know it does not have the correct jungle carbine bolt handle, but are these the "lightening cuts" the arrow is pointing too? Also, what is purpose of the loop forward of the magazine?

This is the only marking (besides the santa fe barrel)

Also, i reassembled the Enfield, and had this left over! Anyone know where this goes?

There is some minor pitting on the top of the bolt where most of the finish is worn, and on the flash hider-but the bore is mirror sharp!

Thanks guys!

Link Posted: 6/24/2009 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
You are correct, that bolt does not appear original, nor does the rear stock band with the 1941 date on it, but the rest of the rifle looks like a proper No. 5 carbine, complete with the cuts to the receiver to make it lighter. That left over part looks like it is a trigger guard bushing. It is placed inside the front of the trigger guard, between the trigger guard and the receiver, the front trigger guard screw goes through it. The ring in front of the magazine is actually for a small chain. It was used to attach the magazine directly to the rifle. Enfield rifle magazines were designed remain in place and were to be reloaded with stripper clips.

There are a couple of Enfield forums out there that may be able to give you more info.

Here is a link to some pics that might help:

http://www.angelfire.com/vt/milsurp/no5.html
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Strange that Santa Fe would build a Knock off from a real MK. 5 Receiver! Besides the lightening cuts, is there anyway for sure to determine that it is a MK. 5? This rifle seems to be a somewhat strange example of a fake!

*edit* Thanks for the link-My trigger guard is not lightened like the example shown.
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I think Santa Fe Arms assembled their rifles from surplus parts, so that may be what you have there. The receiver may be an actual No.5 receiver and the remaining parts could have come from other Enfield rifles.

Here is a link to the Enfield forums:

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

http://www.enfield-rifles.com/

http://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Link Posted: 6/24/2009 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The lightening cuts found on real Jungle Carbines are not what you have circled in your photo.You cannot see the cuts unless you remove the handguard,as the cuts are on the barrel knox.

None of my Carbines have a cut in the receiver like that,and the Carbines have very specific ID markings on them.

That magazine is not correct either,as it is too short.

That rifle has been put together from a bucket of parts.
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The lightening cuts found on real Jungle Carbines are not what you have circled in your photo.You cannot see the cuts unless you remove the handguard,as the cuts are on the barrel knox.

None of my Carbines have a cut in the receiver like that,and the Carbines have very specific ID markings on them.

That magazine is not correct either,as it is too short.

That rifle has been put together from a bucket of parts.

Thats what i figure-its got to be a parts rifle. The mag says "santa fe" and "made in japan"
I've kinda got the Enfield bug now-my other enfield is a much-sporterized hunting rifle from my great uncle. I have a bandoleer with stripper clips that i found in the back of the safe that would go great with an original!
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
$100 bucks is a great price for a shooter N0 5 clone. It it was mine I'd look for a hollowed out bolt knob and a proper ten round magazine. , but in the meanwhile I'd enjoy the heck out of it.

Good for you and your nice find.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#7]
The rear sight gives it away, the support is way too wide.

I built a fake from a Numerich kit on a very badly sporterized No4.

Heck, the kit cost more than you paid for what seems to be a very well assembled kit.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The rear sight gives it away, the support is way too wide.

I built a fake from a Numerich kit on a very badly sporterized No4.

Heck, the kit cost more than you paid for what seems to be a very well assembled kit.

+303

The stock set and hardware is well worth $100.

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the responses-I am growing pretty fond of the little mutt!

Now i just need a source for .303 surplus!
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Now i just need a source for .303 surplus!

Don't we all!
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#11]
It started life as a ROF Maltby-made No. 4 Mk. I.

-Mark
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought u couldn't sell guns on craigslist?  Some sneak by? LOL
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I picked up two rifles off Craiglist.  You gotta be quick, before some libtard flags it.

That is a sweet pickup for $100.  Nice score.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I picked up two rifles off Craiglist.  You gotta be quick, before some libtard flags it.

That is a sweet pickup for $100.  Nice score.

Yup-smart people will also post "hunting equipment for sale", and a contact number. But they generally are overpriced. I
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Santa Fe made their "Jungle Carbine" repros out of whatever they happened to have in stock at the time.  I've seen quite a few made from No. 4 Enfields.  

Here's one (mint unfired since conversion) made from a No. 1 Mk. III that we picked up at an estate auction back in 2004.  I think it was $75 otd.

By way of comparison, a 1/45 FAZAKERLY No. 5 mk. I

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top